1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Does diet changes mood?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Emarald, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

Hello ladies

I have question for all ladies who are trying to loose/maintain weight with diet and exercise. I minimize eating carbs (rice, potato, fried food) and started eating lot of salads lately. I am not starving just eating right like salad, yogurt, fruits, veggies etc. I feel mood changes or cravings because of this change. Does anyone else feel that way? How to overcome it?

1 person likes this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

do not wean off carbs completely. have a balance. yes some studies say that low carbs can effect moods.

and the diet changes in general can cause mood swings, headaches..have heard these symptoms from people who have followed gm diet.

but once your mind accepts the low carb state, your mood swings will reduce.

2 people like this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

yes, you feel low as I know. Carbs are brain food. carbs needed for brain function.
    salad is not complete food, lacks protein, carbs.
    veggies and fruits needed very much for vitamins, minerals, and micro nutients, but it doesn't have everything needed.

You take complex carbohydrates, i.e whole grains like whole grain wheat, brown rice, you will feel good

2 people like this.
  4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I recently visited Naturopathy and this is what he advised

morning

healthy fat olive oil + protein(some egg whites) + multi grain bread or some mutli grain breakfast
    afternoon you can have carbs from rice and vegetables
    night protein(fish or egg or some protein )+ healthy fats like avacado + multi grain food

you can have fruits in between meals

you can have some nuts/avacado/olive oil
    you can have wide variety of fruits and vegetavles
    you can have egg/fish/lean meat for protein
    quanio/brown rice/millet/all Indian beans and lentils are good

even I was focusing more on salad before but he said that's not a healthy diet and humans can't digest raw diet that much.

So advised me I can have salad sometimes but he prefers semi boiled food over raw food..

and asked to focus

healthy fats and protein and little carbs in the morning
    carbs in the afternoon
    fats and protein in the night

1 person likes this.
  5. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

Thank you all. I have thyroid problem so I need to avoid lot of food like soy, broccoli, cauliflower etc. All beans like black eye beans, kidney beans, chickpeas gives gas. So confused what to eat and what not.

6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I have thyroid,but eat all of them except soya.

Chickpeas - if you soak them in night by morning all the gas comes into water and you throw away that water or you can soak for 12-16 hours to remove the gas.After then you can cook.I'm not sure about store brought chikpea and how they process though.But I eat all kind of beans.

1 person likes this.
  7. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

Eating complex carbs(chapati, curries, dals) is not helping me to reduce any fats. Also I am so hungry in evening, no matter I eat full proper lunch or salad in afternoon. I cannot stay away from carbs in evening(dinner time).
    I have desk job so sitting in office 8 hours, 5 days a week. By the time I finish all work everyday so tired to do exercise. Thyroid, housework, office work, 2 kids everything drains energy. Try to do yoga on weekend but thats not enough. trying to find out different solutions to reduce fat (but not get moody/cranky)

8. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Emarland,

It's not that easy to figure everything out.It takes lot of time.

I also have same situation but made lot of changes over the years.

1)Does your husband helps you?
    2)Do you have everything planned out for the week?Planning is very important to get things done.
    3)Do you get good sleep.sleep. That's also very important.
    4)Can you start walking little bit at office during lunch?
    5)no matter what everyday allocate 30min for your exercise.Make that as a priority more than your kids.

Be patient.It takes time for you to figure it out.Join the weight loss groups and go from there.

9. garimagoyal

garimagoyal Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am also trying to reduce weight and facing the same cranky/moody problem. When we initially cut down on junk/sugar/carbs, we will feel like that. Body will get adjusted in a few weeks though.

I had a weight loss of 50 kgs a few years back by gym, swimming and healthy diet. Now gained 30 kgs back due to being lazy and junk, sugary foods.

Try to eat more protein - that should help. Do you eat eggs ?

1 person likes this.
  10. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

Yes I eat egg, fish and shrimp. No chicken or any other meat. I have been trying and adjusting diet for years now. I cut down on junk, oily, sugary food slowly and steadily. I dont need to reduce weight but need to reduce fat, tone body. I need to make muscles strong to get rid of neck pain and back pain.