Does clomid work for pcos with Insuline Resistance

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by kesartiwari, Oct 25, 2013.

1. kesartiwari

kesartiwari New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I have irregular periods all the time. I was diagnosed with Pcos , elevated Insulin hormones. I'm taking 1500mg metformin (daily 3 tablets of 500 mg) to reduce my insulin. I'm taking metformin from 3 months now, though I don't get periods on my own, I take provera to get periods. I'm trying to conceive. Doctor gave me 50mg clomid first cycle, my egg didn't release and my progestorene was low on 21st day blood work. now doctor put me on 100 mg clomid . I see every day on ovulation predictor negative result. I'm worried now whether I'm clomid resistance.

I know every body reactly different for clomid, but anyone with insulin resistance, does clomid work?? what would my doctor say for next steps.

worried by my husband and inlaws behaviour towards my infertility. We are trying clomid from 2 months now.

Any information is appreciated.

2. nikitaram

nikitaram Silver IL'ite

Hi Kesar,

I too have PCOS and insulin resistance and am taking the same Metformin dosage as you. My RE prescribed Siphene (generic version of clomid) 100 mg for this IUI cycle and I had one follicle which grew to 20mm. Like you said, there are no standard set of drugs for everyone so I am sure your doc will figure the right combination for you. If you dont respond to tablets the next option is injectables or a combination of tablets and injectables.

Dont loose hope and dont get stressed. Secondly you are not infertile, you are sub fertile. There are many many options that are available to be explored, do that with an open mind and I am sure things will work out for you.
    You cant change people, you can only change how you react to them. One of the things that I did before I started the treatment is to block all toxic ppl/comments out of my head. Be a lil selfish and just focus on yourself and ur health during this time.

All the best to you :)

3. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Hi Kesar...I had PCOS and know the pressure involved in this. My recommendation to you...just relax, try to drop a little weight and cut out the sugars in your meal (This helped bit time for me!).

On the support from relatives...This is your health and your life...BE SELFISH! And if your husband and inlaws aint supportive...then there is only one way around it...tell them if they want a heir to their family, they better fall inline! :)

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kesartiwari,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies & to this forum. :)
    You can find our forum guidelines here..

In addition to those suggestions, watch out your weight against height(BMI). If its on higher side, put your efforts to control it first. It will handle the insulin resistance.
    With many who had high insulin resistance, Clomid has worked, it can work with you too! Find out why you need to induce your periods every time. Answer to these questions will guide you to healthy pregnancy.
    Be positive & strong. Everything should go fine. Take care.

5. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Hi Kesar...for some people clomid works the first cycle, some three cycles and for some (like me) it messes up my cycles completely. But with each cycle what is important is to do a follicular study to know exactly how your follicle growth is and ovulation pattern.

Dont get worried with the OPK...that never works for me. When I checked with my doc, she mentioned that for some people it just doesnt work till its about 18 hours and on surge mode, since their levels for peak are lesser than the normal threshold. If your cycles are consistent to some extent, take the middle of the cycle and go with +/- four days..usually works to check the accuracy of the OPK better.

Ofcourse, if there is a challenge of ovulation itself, then thats something best checked with the LH level bloodwork. This is the most accurate way to know whats happening inside with the scans.

best wishes on your TTC journey...