1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does Brushing Teeth Takes An Hour?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by kaveriudy, Jun 8, 2016.

1. kaveriudy

kaveriudy Senior IL'ite

ok. my cosis has 9 years old twin girls. both are smart and big enough to brush comb bath on their own.... my cosis always finds an excuse to leave all the household chores on me as she pretends to be taking care of her daughters. and everytime i get stuck in the kitchen cooking for a family of ten. i am yonger then her and i dont have any kid. PIL thinks she does take part me all chores. standing all day long is very tiring..i am newlywed and cant speak up to anyone in my new family.

2. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Why don't u also step into your bathroom for taking bath n take ur own time? Or offer to help your co sis in getting her kids ready while she does cooking for a change!
    Are you working? If not, get a job as soon as possible and get busy with it.

kaveriudy likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Brushing teeth definitely won't take that long. But having 2 kids, no matter how big they are, will take some times out of the kitchen... Either to supervise them, groom them or even to instruct them specially when they are ready to School, eating time, study time etc...

However, it doesn't mean you must work all the chores while she is around, pretending to be busy.

If I were you, I too would do my personal chores when she is not around the kitchen. I would brush, bath, iron and do my works and pretend to be busy on something else like helping H.
    But then, I would join her back as soon as she is in the kitchen for cooking. This way, both can share the kitchen chores, and the cooking will be done in 30 min-1 hr.

4. kaveriudy

kaveriudy Senior IL'ite

Thank you for the reply. if i take sometime out for myself she wouldnt miss a chance to announce it to everyone. she has done it many times.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

What if she announces?
    Why are you so worried about her announcements as long as you are sure that you took time off for something important.
    Defend yourself saying the actual reason.
    Accept it wholeheartedly that you have taken time off.
    Your life is not dedicated to your in laws' kitchen. There is something more than that.
    First of all, accept this, and react.

sindmani, PRM575 and Funrealities like this.
  6. SCk

SCk Silver IL'ite

Guess its better you share your works, you do breakfast n dinner and let her do lunch
    Or you do cooking n let her do washing so that she can t escape
    No sharing same works, now only different works
    You can casually say" my dearest co sis , I 'll take care of break fast, you do dinner, now you take rest":rolleyes:
    This might solve the problem

kaveriudy likes this.
  7. kaveriudy

kaveriudy Senior IL'ite

as i am new in the family i am suffering from people pleasing syndrome, which is doing more harm than good. she is so talkative and very sarcastic(she would say something negative about me while laughing) MIL and Co sis go along very well. in my il's place there is a stupid rule that only bahus are solely responsible for cooking and then asking every single person if i should serve them the food or not. if they say no i will have to wait for sometime and ask them again. its so frustrating. can you believe it my MIL starts to make faces if she sees me sitting and resting for sometime that makes me feels like i have committed a crime by taking rest.. they keep eye on my every single move as if i am a celebrity

sindmani, sslkgpaa and Funrealities like this.
  8. Goodgod

Goodgod IL Hall of Fame

@kaveriudy...Just gather yourself and go get a job! That is the only way.... for I have seen a situation like this to one of my family members, her co -sis-in-law was just like yours. Now that sis-in-law is into her 50+ yrs , still the same. These in-laws also never accept and stay the same till they leave the earth.
    My relative often repents for not taking a job and now it is too late for her.

kaveriudy likes this.
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Ignore if your MIL makes faces. Pretend as if you have not noticed her.
    If there is a family rule, which is so common in your culture like serving others, cooking only by DILs, then I wouldn't break that for no reason.
    But it doesn't mean cooking 24/7 and serving as if you are brought to that family for this sole reason.

If there is a common expectation, you must figure out how your co-sis is in the good books of MIL though she doesn't follow this norm?

I think the problem is more of your own insecurity, low self esteem and fear as a new bride. That's why you are way too much bothering about pleasing people.
    Blame your family or upbringing...
    But that's not the issue now.

Just ignore and don't care about other's reactions. But do what is reasonable.

kaveriudy and Funrealities like this.
  10. kaveriudy

kaveriudy Senior IL'ite