Does anybody else feel this way when listening to music?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by DKI, Apr 29, 2014.

1. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

When I was younger and my mother would sing bhajans I would see her cry. I never understood it.

Now I find myself doing the same thing, especially when I hear songs on Lord Ayyappa or even see pictures or hear the name Vaikathappan (the name given to Lord Shiva in my hometown of Vaikom in Kerala).

My husband makes fun of me when he sees me crying and I have no idea how to explain it to him. Its not sad tears either so really difficult.

Anybody else experience this? How do I explain it to my husband and son?

2. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

DKI,

Tears start flowing when I pray in temples. These are not sad tears. I've tried to control so many times, but failed. Now I let it be and don't care what others think. My husband makes fun of me every time :)

sindmani, knbg, bhucat and 1 other person like this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Ah! Me too!

After having my child, I choke everytime she listens to and tries to sing something I learnt as a child. From bhajans to keerthanais to sound of music songs.

More recently i tried singing "let it go" from frozen and ended up in tears. My husband rolls his eyes and tries really hard not to laugh. I can't explain it either. Just saying I'm right there with you, sister. I had to stop listening to music while driving in the fear that I might tear up...

And it only started happening after my daughter was born. I blame her for making me feel things viscerally...

lets see if someone can explain it...

sindmani, bhucat and racr like this.
  4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Uma321 and Guesswho....

Thank God!!! I had never seen anybody else except my mother tearing up and then me.

You'll made me feel so much better. I started this post because I was listening to ayyappan songs at work and had to stop because my eyes filled up.

sindmani and bhucat like this.
  5. Sai3A21

Sai3A21 Platinum IL'ite

Its just spiritual bliss - nothing to worry about. I saw my granny - tears roll down her cheeks whenever she starts talking about Puttaparthi SaiBaba, of whom she is an ardent devotee. She used to be in an entirely different world once she starts talking about him. Thats the impact of sincere devotion. You must be so involved while listening to those songs. Enjoy. God bless.

sindmani, VaniVyas, knbg and 2 others like this.
  6. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Dki me too in this boat.

I always shed tears when I'm in a spiritual environment. After coming to USA it's been more of this way. My last visit was few days back. I had prayed to god in the temple that I will return with my son post delivery. And when I took my son there. We performed an archana on his name and I could not control during the pooja. My hubby was confused as to why I started crying emotionally.

sindmani and bhucat like this.
  7. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear DKI...

Wonderful doubt and still i do not know the exact reason for the same...
    May be too much attached with God like our own children / father / friend and beyond that?
    May be we think that he is hearing all our prayers and we feel His personal touch?

Whatever it may be, there is no room for fun. if anybody makes fun, there is NO need to explain the reason for them, it is something to feel themselves and can't be explained.

I had one particular incident when i was at the age of 14 or 15 where i went to Coimbatore to spend my vacation. At that time Puttaparthi Baba visits a kalyan Mandap and blessed all the devotees there. I was sitting in the middle row and when he started walking and coming near to me.....my eyes are rolling with tears of no reasons...but mine is no so frequent like you said....sometimes i feel crying when i think he is the only surrender.

Even i remember a friend of mine to whom i used to go to nearby Guruvayoorapan temple on Ekadasi day. she is the ardent devotee of Lord krishna and when we started chanting Bagavad Gita literally she was crying, she was not able to chant and control her tears...and then after few mins she became normal.

These are all emotional bond between us and God, let see if some people comes with good clarification.

2 people like this.
  8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I do the same. I have a theory about it. But pls dont laugh. I feel our chakras get blocked and dulled with suppressed emotions and feelings. The tears are our bodies way of clearing and opening up our chakras by making us experience that long buried emotion or feeling. Sometimes the emotion may be buried so long ago we ourselves forget about it. But we experience the associated emotion in the form of unexplainable sadness, longing or helplessness. Next time dont try to control the tears. Just let them flow freely, and as they flow, breathe through it and internally acknowledge the emotion you are experiencing. "yes i feel incredibly sad' 'yes I feel helpless' and just be with it. Dont try to do anything about it. It will dissipate very quickly and not return again. But after that you feel very light in your heart.

1 person likes this.
  9. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

10. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Sandhya, What is there to laugh? Amazing explanation.....Good!
    Thanks