Does any body know how to make JUNNU?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by tejudatla, Jan 4, 2007.

1. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

What's China Grass?

Hi Sri,

What's this China grass? U said that ur mother-in-law sent it to u. So it's not available in Canada or US? If not Where can I find that? Also how it looks like?
    Plz let me know if u can.......

Thanks
    Teja

2. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Hi

HI,

I think china grass won't avilable here. My MIL sent me from India. It looks like some white thin noodle type one but it works. U can ask your friends to get it from India. I don't know but check in some chinese stores here. I never tried to do shopping for China grass here.

Oneday my MIL sent me this and asked me to prepare JUNNU with this and she informed me now it is so famous India for making junnu.

Regards
    srilak

3. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Hi Sri,

I will enquire my frns ask them to bring some, as they r coming to my place soon.......

Thanq very much for ur cool info.....

Teja:-D

4. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I heard that we can get Junnu Powder in India. Did any one know about it? If so plz let us know...

Thanq...
    Tej:wave

5. fussion

fussion New IL'ite

For all of us that love real jannu milk ... it’s now possible to buy it <st1:place st="on"><st1:country-region st="on">USA</st1:country-region></st1:place>.
    junnu milk is called colostrum and sold in most states, where raw milk is sold.
    It’s a little pricey but it’s worth every penny.
    They (the one in Fresno, CA ) usually Ups it the same day and it’s at our door by next day.

visit Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?
    select your state
    Search for the word colostrum

6. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Junnu?

Hi ladies,

I have a silly question, :confused: what is Junnu?

7. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Krishnamma,

Junnu is a telugu word for a sweet which is prepared from first day milk of cattle usually cow or buffalo (I don't know what is the word for junnu in english and hindi). This is my favourite sweet which i think iam missing here, but a good friend of mine prepared this and to my surprise it is not from lactating milk. The taste and texture looks exactly the same as junnu that it almost satisfies our craving.

My mom and grandmom used to give us by adding pepper and sugar/jaggery .We will be waiting for the milkman once his buffalllo gives birth to a calf.Really ,old recipe which we can expect here.

Inorder to make the perfect Indian version of this dish you have to have the junnu paalu(Buffalo's milk: This is the milk that the buffalo lactates for atleast 3 days after the calf is born. But the milk that you get on the first day has the perfect consistency). In India many people use buffalo milk and not cow's milk.

I was lucky enough to have this junnu every other month at the least when I was a kid since my neighbours had their own farms.
    Here our friends gave us wonderful recipes with condensed milk . It's so sweet n u r gonna luv it very much.... Very easy to make...

Luv

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  8. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear All,

I just got the word Seembal in Tamil....

Luv

9. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

hi teju still searching for junnu palu?
    i feel so bad wish i cud send u junnu :)
    em chedam ikda anni dairy shops lo kuda ippudu ammutunaru telsa meeku
    next time nenu vellinapudu adugutanu if powder lantidi emana unda ani me kosam
    tc bye

10. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Radha,

I felt so happy after I read ur message. Ikkada Junnu palu inka naku dorkaledu. India lo kooda villages lo baga dorikevi. Ippudu anni dairy shops dorkutunnayani meeru cheppe daka naku teleedu. Naa sis junnu powder dorkutundi ani chepperu. Details full ga teleedu.

But ikkada ne condensed milk to chesa. Chala baga vachindi. Some thing is better than nothing kada. So prastutanki danto adjust ipotunna. Meeru naa kosam try chestunnanaduku chala happy ga vundi. Many many thanks....

I have realtives in Kakinada n I think they r running Datla Medical Hall. Chala raojula tarvata Telugu lo meeto share cheskotam relief ga vundi...

:thankyou2: :thankyou2: :thankyou2:

Luv