1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does Aging increase Happiness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Does Aging increase Happiness

Yesterday I read a very interesting article in TOI under the same heading. Here is the lnk

The Wisdom I've Gleaned From Another Passing Year | Sheryl Kraft

The author says, she would not want to get younger once again, she is happy at her age of 60.She says if u ask most people her age of they want to go back to their 20”s, they will say NO. People like her find value in their hard won fight to gain wisdom, happiness and emotional balance.

That set me thinking.She is 60 and I am a year older. At times I wonder , how come todays kids have mobiles at their teen age, when we did not have even a landine at that age. They have computers, I pads, I pods, acess to internet, at a young age, I used to feel they are lucky, and that it was our badluck that we were born in those days of the fifites.

But after reading Sheryl, I have changed my mind and opinion. Now I am glad I was not born these days, that I am not a 20 year old now, for many reasons. So here goes my reasons for why I am happy at being a senior citizen and not wanting my youth again.

1) Like her , I have made a lot of new friends , thanks to my blogs. Today some of my best friends are not of the past, of school or college, but of the recent past, from blogs, and they are genuine friends. I have not met many of them, but I speak to them on the phone, we exchange jokes on whats app, and whenever we feel like, call one another up. The ones that I have met, are real gems.

2) I am glad that I am not young bcs I would find it very hard today to study hard, get into expensive B schools, make my parents spend a fortune, then get a good job, then go house hunting. In the seventies , a plot of 500 yards in the best of localities of Jaipur cost 35000/- , so for a chap earning 5000/- it was a 7 month salary purchase. Today that same plot costs 7 crores. So if that chap earning 5000 today is earning 2 lakhs, would need to spend 30 years of his salary for purchasing the same plot. So I am glad I am here today , in my sixties, and watching these youngsters not with envy, but with sadness, how will they ever own a bunglow, at whatever the salaries they get ?

3) I am glad computers and mobiles came in my later years, for otherwise I might have been distracted in my youth with them, and not achieved what ever little that I have.

4) I am happy to be as I am, old , graying, fat, and not having to worry about looking good, I am comfortable with my own body, and my myself. I have nothing to prove and no babe to woo.

5) I am comfortable with people of all ages, I don’t feel old at all. In fact there is a vast difference between the age of my body and that of my heart. My heart is of a 20 year old , which loves gossip, spicy talks, side skips religion, and always happy. For the life of me I cannot sit and discuss holy books with the oldies(I am a youngster that way u see, people my age are oldies for me), only bcs I have not read any holy books, nor am I interested in rituals , living and dead gurus, donations etc. I do good, but my way, no one comes to know what I do, and I go where others don’t go, I don’t stand in line where others stand, that place does not need me for there are many to serve there, so I go away.

6) In fact this is my second childhood, I am retired, not having to work for money, I have made my decent investments, and I just love blogging, whats app, listening to music, making new friends, talking to blogger friends, and life is rolling by comfortably.

7) I am happy in the simple food that I get, even nonveg, which many of u hate, I like the simple fish chicken , mutton, eggs, cooked at home, and I don’t have the exotic lobsters or crabs, or snakes, or in these restaurants, which charge u the moon.

8) As I have aged, people think I am older and wiser, and I just smile and don’t try and correct them. What is wrong in indulging myself eh !Enemies must underestimate u, but those that consider me wise, overestimate me, so they are good and true friends.

As the Mcdonald Ad says” I’m loving it !!!!

HAHA

KAMAL MAHTANI

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]: Subah subah biwi ne husband se newsaper manga...
    Husband - kitni backward ho tum.....duniya kaha se kaha pahunch gyi a
    ur tum newspaper mang rhi ho?? Ye mera TAB le lo....

Biwi ne TAB liya aur uss se cockroach mar diya..

Husband Behosh...[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

Moral-
    Biwi jo mange...de do[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    The lawyer says to the wealthy art collector tycoon: "I have some good news and, I have some bad news.

The tycoon replies: "I’ve had an awful day, let's hear the good news first.

The lawyer says: Your wife invested $5,000 in two pictures today that she figures are worth a minimum of $2 million.

The tycoon replies enthusiastically: Well done, very good news indeed! You've just made my day; now what’s the bad news?

The lawyer answers: The pictures are of you in bed with your secretary.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Just curious -

If someone is born on 1st Jan then he/she was conceived on April Fools' Day...??[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Can't believe Mahendra Singh Dhoni retired last year....
    Feels like yesterday....![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

N if someone born on 14th nov childrens day is he or sge conceived on valentine's day?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    This joke is dedicated to all those in Sales!

A man was waiting to cross the highway but was hesitant because of speeding cars. Suddenly Yamdoot appeared & said, "Man, why are you afraid like this...You are going to live past 90 year of age. Don't let such little things scare you ever."

The man moved forward with new courage, got hit by the first car and died.

In Heaven, he asked Yamdoot as to why did he lie. The Yamdoot answered, "Sorry man, year-ending pressure buddy, had to achieve my targets."

Happy Year Ending [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

11 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Kamalji.

Realizations come in many forms and at the right age :)

Glad you are enjoying the present - I would love to age faster and join you soon. :)

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear GG,

You will age my friend , but go slow, the fun is there.HAHA

REgards

kamal

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Come on Kaalji don't you want all the PYTs making a beeline for a Kamalji in his 20s? Jokes apart at 60 people mostly don't havee to work for their living. and I suspect that's why they love their 60s.

1 person likes this.
  5. cayathiri

cayathiri Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kamalji,

I am regular reader of your snippets. Actually a fan of ur writings. ;). I come to this section just to read ur writings. Make me smile... Continue ur good writings....

Gayathri

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    You are a perfect example of seeing positivity in life at any stage of life. Depression runs away from you!!! We all have to learn that from you. Old age..pluses and minuses, of course for that matter they are there at any age. In addition to all the perks you mentioned one more thing that I want is health, not depending on anyone for health reasons. We should be able to afford medical bills and dependency physically...a big No
    Thank you for a good one.
    Syamala

7. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Excellent post Kamal Bro. Like you I also feel young at heart and enjoy my old age. God has given me everything so I am thankful to him. I have also made many friends in old age through IL and facebook and have many virtual daughters. If I am happy today and enjoying its all due to the loving friends and loving family which keeps me going and dont get depressed. Congrats for the nomination by Balajee, a worthy nomination

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

No one can think of how to lead a retired life without thinking about you. I wrote a post today without reading this post of yours. You have written this more eloquently than me. You and Cheeniya Sir are definitely role models for me to learn how to lead retired life.

Basically, you remained the same person you were before retirement. No one can take away your happiness and youthful feeling unless you surrender them yourself. Keep writing wonderful posts like this and they really motivate me to keep myself happy.

Viswa

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

Now add one more point to the advantage of being old. Mention it the way you do and it gets you nominated to FP of the month!!! Thanks goes to Balajee, another humorist like you!

Funnily enough, I read Sheryl Kraft's views only yesterday. Someone had posted it on FB...yes, FB!! :eek:mg:

The moment I noted what it was about, I of course had to read it. You can say it had to do with age...Mind you, didn't say my age!! I have always felt happy at whatever age I was in and even today, I am quite fine being as young as I am. Would hate to go back and go through all that I did once again. Not because it was bad, but once is enough!

Loved all your points to want to be where you are age wise. I think the young ones who will read that list will feel depressed! They surely want to be old, just read GG's feedback! But I think you would rock any age you are in Kamalji. It can never be any other way!

Liked that biwi joke!!

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,
    Those who have completed their duties and are not depending on anyone financially or health wise physically will feel happy at old age.
    Yet there are people who keep chasing money till they fall flat without enjoying life. Those people are really pitiable.
    By God's Grace we do not belong to that category. Good that we are enjoying and feeling happy at our age,
    You are making others also happy with your meaningful and witty posts.
    PS