1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does Abhi make you cry too?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

imagine my surprise and please, indulge me as I go on -

1. at the vivid imagination of your friend about Indian woman's appearance and relating it to their bad marriages. Well we at least have more marriages going on strong was my thought :) But I will not blame that poor man for many people that I know here believe a lot in how they appear for their spouses and work hard at that physical image...I can only imagine what he must be thinking "if they appear like that in public, how are they in their houses?" for I am yet to meet a 'not dressy enough' (yes, yes puffed up eyes concealed and nice lipstick with make up) neighbor in public, yes even in the bus stop on a very snowy/cold early morning and don't even get me started on what i observe at 5.30 in the morning in the gym!! Needless to say I am learning a thing or two as far as appearances are concerned!

2. Now, I am even more amazed at your very fertile and may be true to a certain extent imagination (for I am really not in sync with the serial world). Only you could have done justice to our women and their feelings Cheeniya sir! It would have never crossed my mind! Now I can only heave a sigh in relief that there is so much "human-ness" left in our parts of the world - given the way the women feel :)

That little tit-bit about your mom and wife is so very cute....I have had my DH fill me in on occasion or two when I have missed "sex and the city" and the one and only reason I am not opting for DVR offered with most networks!! I love it when he watches for me and tries filling me in!

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna
    Do you know the basic difference between the cinema and TV serials? In cinemas, the bad characters are invariably male who always talk in the top of their voice, are surrounded by thugs and get beaten up by heroes who are half their size in the last scene.

In TV serials, the bad characters are invariably women and they make every other women suffer! They don't shout, are not surrounded by thugs and do not believe in physical violence. The Athi Pookkal 'Villi' is of course an exception to this rule!
    Sri

3. PriyaKat

PriyaKat Silver IL'ite

Abhi ( and her ever sobbing sorority) does not even make me want to see PrimeTime Soap. Forget about making me cry.
    Sorry, Sir, but this post did not stir me. That is not to be taken as a negative review of your writing prowess. By now, I am quite convinced that you are capable of taking the topic of patting dung -cakes and spinning a 1200 word treatise of gripping prosody about it. What din't jell with me is your effort to label all that weepiness of our female TV audience as "Compasion of Indian Women". All because some paleface certified so ?
    Compassion ? have you ever seen how some of these "compassionate" ladies summarily despatch their children who intrude into their 8pm -9pm sobbing marathon with some genuine need ? Oliver Twist had it better I should say.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Dear Priya
    I am not offering this as an excuse but nevertheless wish to point out that this was meant to be a satire about the prevailing craze for these tear-jerkers among our women. in another thread of mine, I had mentioned how some of the ladies who cried buckets at the fate of these characters in Soaps treated their own DILs inhumanly!
    The story-line of patting cow-dung cakes is not bad at all. Must try to develop it!
    Sri

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I have to admit that I am one of those male soap watchers who cry upon watching some of the scenes in an episode. But certainly it has nothing to do with Abhi or any other heroines in the prime time or even Villis (or should I call "Nallis"?)

My episode crying experiences is with a spiritual episode titled as "Enge Brhamanan?" Cho Ramasamy has a knack of putting me into tears by using some of the best dialogues for each character to speak in "Enge Brahmanan?" It is at present shown in the morning again and I am unable to watch that wonderful soap. I would like to buy all of those episodes to watch at my convenience but do not know how I could buy or rent them.

If my crying when watching the soaps is an indication of my compassionate character, I have to shamelessly admit that I am one of the most compassionate beings.

6. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    Crying is a good soul disinfectant. I have seen many people standing in a temple of God shedding tears profusely. How tears can cleanse a soul? Most of our soul-infecting acts start with the eyes. Buddhists believe that eyes are the major cause for creating desire in a man. Lustful thoughts enter the mind through the eyes. Take any unbecoming thought that nestles in our mind and examine its passage into our system. You will see that it got transmitted into our mind through the eyes. Being a conduit for all virus that infect the soul, it makes sense to keep them disinfected through our tears.

Having said this, I must tell you that all tears are not soul disinfectant. The ones that flood the eyes when you peel an onion or the ones that you shed at the miserable plight of the hapless heroines of Soaps are not soul disinfectants. The soul cleansing tears are the kind that Vallalar (Sri Ramalinga Adigalar) shed at the sight of withered plants. May your compassion be an all pervading one like that of Vallalar and if such compassion creates a Niagara in your eyes, you can feel a sense of spiritual well being.
    Sri

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna dont know how I missed this post. I also watch some of the serials in Tamil and Hindi. Night we are usually watching sun tv so dont get to see some hindi serials which I watch the next day. I have also watched kolangal but I have not prayed for her. Only for time pass I watch them . I enjoy two in one I mean sit at the computer and watch TV too. Sometimes IL is interesting and sometimes TV. Now the latest which is good is Vani Rani which is entertaining and somewhat different from the other serials. Some serials are really touching and I get carried away. Wherever I am I get addicted, when I was working I was addicted to work, cant do without going to office and now addicted to IL and TV where I watch serials and other entertainment programmes also, the latest music programme is of the children in Sun TV on Sundays

8. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    I had completely forgotten Abhi now since my mind is full of so many new heroines who look larger than life (literally!) in my large HD TV that occupies a quarter of the wall. But as I have always been telling you, I watch the serials more for the advertisements that come in between. Some of them are fascinating like the crow that hounds a boy to empty its bowels! These ad guys are really ingenious!

I agree with you that IL is more interesting and the fiery temper of some of the young members scares the wit out of me!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

My dear Srama
    Long long ago so long ago nobody can say how long ago, I wrote this thread about Abhi in an apparent effort to ape Art Buchwald and the effect turned out to be awful! But I was surprised that some 3000+ members viewed it and nearly 30 commented on it too! Then I realised in utter humility that the compassion of Indian women was not restricted to the suffering heroines of Indian soaps alone but extended to the threads that I churned out on IL too! There is no other way I can explain this phenomenon of this awful thread of mine getting appreciated!

You may be wondering why I am replying to a FB that you wrote in 2011. Let me explain. I suddenly started getting some fresh FBs to my old threads making me feel as rejuvenated as Yayathi! When I started comparing the new FBs with the earlier ones to see if our women remained as compassionate or had become hardened, I saw this gem from you lying unanswered. Knowing that 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned', I hasten to answer it. First of all, my sincere apologies to you. But I know that Abhi may make everyone cry but not Sabi. Just a small difference in one syllable of your names but what an ocean of difference between your mindsets! Abhi opens the tap of her eyes at the drop of a hat but you have your eyes only for the beauties and wonders of the world! I have now learned to look at life through the eyes of chirpy souls like you and feel gratified that I am still around to savour my life in all its glorious manifestations.
    Sri

2 people like this.