1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does 6 months, make a difference?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Very true Padmini ma'am...Language accent it sticks to us..nowadays I feel I am talking the way these people speak English.....like a javvu mittai..:biglaughMalayalam...sister-language so you got it easily, moreover it resembles to some extent Tamil too..isn't it!
    You are not making me getting into trouble, am I right! :rotflNotice him carefully, you might find many..:thumbsup

2. Sriniketan

Welcome, Jaishree...after a longtime, happy to see you here..
    True..I am guessing what qualities I had picked up from people around me..maybe I should observe more...

3. Sriniketan

Good question, welcome Sathya.
    Mm..me too want to give fb like yours..but I can copy only the style but not the ideas:spin, what say!

4. Sriniketan

I agree with you Balajee..communication is important.
    But my daughter's complaint is that I use those tanglish words to communicate so much that I forget the appropriate words while communicating in English..:spin
    Very good idea.:thumbsup Now I think, words like Papaya, Mango, catamaran and many more came from Tamil.

5. Sriniketan

Gowri,
    This answer is so much heard by you.. you got it from me...I suppose!:)
    From you..mm..I got many ideas to have a healthy, oil-free diet..maybe this is what I am imitating/learning from you..:hiya

6. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Mee english ke em karma...entha chakkaga raasaru.

Yes I do think effect of living together or spending time together with a person, you sort of inculcate their habits and mannerisms to some extent....i see my DH telling me "sahavas dosham" whenever i come back from work and say some words, which my DH considers bad..but what to do i keep hearing those from my collegues day in day out....like "Oh S*** this is not working" "Crap i am not able to log in". So i started using the supposed "bad" words at home sometimes and my DH says why I am picking up these words only from my collegues and gives me a nasty look. :)

So now I make extra effort to avoid using any such words and thankfully don't tell them anymore.

Jaya

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Srini,
    This is called sahavasa dosham. Yes we unconsciously pick up the accent, words and mannerism, god knows how much their character we absorb.
    Athunallathan they say we must be always with good people and good qualities will be absorbed by us.
    Havn't you noticed when two ladies are talking , one often complains abt her MIL/SIL /DIL etc, even though the other person does n't complain, slowly starts saying some disgrutned remarks abt her MIL/SIL/DIL.
    Iam just wondering how much our DH or vice versa have absorbed.
    Jaya

8. Sriniketan

You know Jaya, I can understand to some extent Telugu..and I think you are encouraging me here..not like you picked up some random words in Telugu to criticise me..just kidding pa.
    Yeah, it is 'sahavasa dhosham'.. When we are aware of not to copycat such 'bad' words or mannerisms, we can come out of it.
    Happy that you did the same..:thumbsup

sriniketan

9. Sriniketan

Jaya,
    Sahavasa dhosham is the correct word..in other words, in Tamil they say...'andha kaathu inge adikkudha"..(air is blowing from that place to this place ?)
    True pa, if we are surrounded by good people, good words, and good enviornment, it has its good effects on us.
    Regarding the complaints about SIL, MIL and DIL, I think..the first one puts a bait on the other to 'open up' because we like gossips, right!
    Me too wondering pa..from now on DH is under close-observation..:biglaugh

sriniketan

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear srini,

yes this is nothing but sahavasa dosham.. i realize that my language is 60 % that of my daughters since i talk to her the maximum? the other 40 % , i fiercely resist as i do not want to sound that COOL:biglaugh

but tanglish is what we feel like talking when we do not see our people for a long time....somehow it makes you feel nice and the next generation may not understand that..

but really it will be interesting to know who has picked up anything from us???:biglaugh