1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor visit

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by umaakumar, Jan 23, 2015.

1. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

I would like to share with you an experience I had with a hospital. This happened to me a few years back and though I wanted to share with everyone earlier, I got to writing about it only today.

I have been suffering from pain in the arm for quite some time. Though I went to the ortho he said nothing can be done as it is diabetes related. So he advised that it is best left alone and if the pain persists then he suggest an injection which will help reduce the pain for a few months.

My husband suggested we try ayurvedic treatment as they are the best for pains. We were at Coimbatore at that time and there is a very famous ayurvedic research centre there. So we went there to meet the doctor.

Like any other hospital on reaching there we were asked to get an admission card and wait. yumsmiley Then they called out my name and gave me a room number to go to. On going there I was greeted by a nurse who asked me my name, age. Then she took my weight, height and BP. She promptly entered this on a computer. She was entering the details on to a software designed for this. Then she said I should wait. After some time my name was called again and a room number provided. I went there where I was greeted by a doctor. He asked me questions and kept entering in the computer software. :eek:mg:

The questions went as follows. He already had the name, weight, BP etc
    Now the questions were as follows:

Do you work:
    Diet: Veg, Non veg etc
    Diabetis since when
    Any Family history
    Any other problem
    How many children
    Normal delivery or ceasaeran
    Any allergies
    Had I had an allergy related problem anytime
    Do you suffer from cold often.
    Any other previous medical history: Like I have had 2 surgeries earlier. So he asked the complete details and entered in his computer.

The questions were so extensive, and the doctor was so concentrated on entering all the details on his sofware. He did not leave any part of my body alone. He had questions related to every organ in the body. He elaborated on my hand pain and checked the difference postures in which I get the pain. This too he made a note on his software. I was kind of surprised that so much data entry was done. This session went on for about half an hour. I was so eager to get the results that I kept looking at the screen and the doctor. Too anxious to see what results are suggested by the software. Finally this doctor told me to wait. I was quite disappointed. :exactly:Because based on the data entered I was expecting the software to prescribe the medicines. On coming out my husband asked me why was I so anxiously looking at the computer and the doctor repeatedly? I told him that I was rather surprised that they had a software like this and I was expecting the software to prescribe the medicines and both of us burst out laughing. laugh1smiley

Later I was called to meet a senior doctor who went through the details on the software and prescribed the medicines.

But everytime I think of this visit, I cannot help laughing that I expected the software to prescribe medicines.

Probably we are heading to that who knows!!!!!

5 people like this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Uma,

Yes who knows we aer headed towards that. Did the medicines benefit ?today i got my diabeties done. fasting was 118 and pp was 138.

Regards

kamal

3. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Probably software will prescribe medicine in the future :wink:

But I wonder why would not they get all the details first time itself thinkingsmiley Why make us wait and send us to two different rooms (Data entry operators):confused2:

4. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply.

No the medicines did not help, I too did not pursue the treatment.

Regards
    Uma

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Uma,
    Perhaps the Aurvedic Hospital people wanted to show off that they do not lag behind allopathic hospitals in maintaining patients record. Sorry to hear that you didn't get relief from the treatment .

Even Homeopathy doctors ask for many details before starting treatment.

Were you able to get cured completely through some other treatment?

PS

6. thinkpad

thinkpad Bronze IL'ite

May or May not be true.
    Now a days: Good doctors doesnt get time to talk 2 patients. Jr doctors collecting all the data through SW and Experience doctors scan through the data and prescribe medicines. The time took to collect the each patients data, senior doctor might have consulted 3-4 patients. . Money making is an art Now a days....one of the best way is use the Technology...

7. shrivni

shrivni Silver IL'ite

True. Usually in the past, doctors used to talk a lot and gather information's and identify the disease to some extent. And there will not be any straight forward questions, it will be more like a conversation.

I feel like ordering a pizza when answering doc's questions. cheese or without cheese? what topping do you prefer. . .etc

They are more concerned about getting all the details entered in the DB.

But with the population here and the number of patients, it is not possible to have a elaborate discussion also.

8. thinkpad

thinkpad Bronze IL'ite

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

9. thinkpad

thinkpad Bronze IL'ite

Life style changed...Need data to analyze the disease...one way its good...you are paying 1000rs for consultation and you will feel cheated if docs doesnt spend this much time ...yumsmiley

10. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Uma very interesting topic.I had a different experience.i went to awell known hospital at Chennai as I had pain in my heels.Luckily the chief examined me and a steno standing near him noted the points.Then I was given a paper in my hand which showed

fees for surgeryRs.60,000 per leg
    Doctors'fees
    Room rent
    medicines
    service charge
    Dietician charge

Total amount was three lakhs.i ran away from that place.

1 person likes this.