1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Do you wear long indian tops in US?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Manda, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Manda

Manda New IL'ite

Every trip to India I buy indian kurtis and tops etc. I get very excited with the patterns and colors an the current fashion there.. I use my best judgement to select colors and patterns which i think would pass as a casual wear here. But i often end up not wearing those ..they lie in my closet for years.

My last trip 6 months back I bought some tops..i could only find tops which were longer like half way between knee and waist..they arnt long as salwar tops neither as short as jeans top. They are pretty but I dont know when to wear them and with what kind of bottoms..

Do you wear your indian tops? How often? And what how about those long tops with jeans?

2. Goodgod

Goodgod IL Hall of Fame

hello manda,

same situation here though i do not visit india often . the few i bought are in my closet too. I am able to wear them only to indian societies here or temples utmost. not that we cannot wear them else where but i do not want to look odd.:)

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I think wearing them is fine but in my opinion put them with a legging more than a regular jean. YOu can also get jean leggings....just don't get them too thin and cheap so it looks like pajamas. Lots of women are wearing tunic length tops in this way.

sindmani, dailyeco and Goodgod like this.
  4. sapnaHYD

sapnaHYD Gold IL'ite

wear them with leggings or jeggings..

Product634715592738496000.jpg

5. Manda

Manda New IL'ite

Thanks googgod, sapna , tashi..
    Thats a nice picture..i wish my tops were a little shorter..they go a little longer..Guess I will feel comfortable once i start wearing those.

6. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I wear mostly that type with leggings like 6/7 days per week, even white girls have started wearing such clothes here.

2 people like this.
  7. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

You can alter and shorten the length of the tops.

8. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can just cut and shorten the length of the tops.
    There are shorted tops available too .

sindmani likes this.
  9. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

I wear mine with jeans and leggings. My kurtis are half way between the knee and thigh as well. Most of the American girls have picked up the "fashion trend" as well. There are some that have started to wear scarves around the necks. You see more and more Americans with the Indian clothing these days as a lot more English films show our attire. Just last week I went to see the movie Grand Exotic Marigold Hotel and at least 10 women were dressed in Indian clothing. Was nice to see that.

Cheers!
    Oopall.

2 people like this.
  10. Manda

Manda New IL'ite

Crazymom , ranchu,
    Good ideas..but altering will compromise the designs on my tops.. Thy have some pretty designs and patterns towards the bottom that make them pretty..altering the length will make them very simple :(.