1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Slumdog Millionaire De-glorified India?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Amarpreetkochar, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Amarpreetkochar

Amarpreetkochar Junior IL'ite

I think the movie didn't deserve a single Oscar. It is a total humiliation for our country. What is your opinion?

2. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

I totally agree with you. People at work feel that is how India is and I had to keep explaining that it is not true. It was made dramatic for the movie. What a pity. :bonk

The first half specially was so brutal.

3. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

The movie just presents what the West want to visualise India as.

Thats why it got the Oscar.

4. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

It was a horrible movie and I could not sit through it. Unfortunately a lot of what was shown is close to the truth. There is huge population in India that lives below poverty line. I do not think that we can deny that.

Coming to the popularity and the international awards, movies that show other cultures in bad light are very popular in the west. It is not just India and Indians. I saw a japanese movie from a few decades ago where they depicted the japanese culture in bad light. There are tons of books out there that belittle and make fun of other cultures (asian, middle eastern, south american...). Publishing houses encourage and publish books that make fun of our system of marriage and practices. Unfortunately a lot of people are impressionable and buy into the propaganda. How else can you explain the obsession with western and european mannerisms and self-hate for things Indian among the Indian media??

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  5. spap

spap Senior IL'ite

Oh my goodness! I hate Slumdog millionaire.. I couldn't watch it completely. There are much much better movies made in India. Honestly, I think that film doesn't deserve any award.It was nothing more than an average film. It doesn't deserve all the hype.
    I am proud that A.R.Rahman won Oscar award but I also feel there are way better compositions of A.R.Rahman than Jai Ho.

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  7. sweetgirl4flirt

sweetgirl4flirt New IL'ite

I think the movie was horribly over-rated. Not because it showed India in bad light, but because it just wasn't that good of a movie. The plot was different but it was lifted from a book. Rest was very bad, including the acting of all the actors.

8. Amarpreetkochar

Amarpreetkochar Junior IL'ite

Thanks everybody for your replies. I don't think India in such a poor state and secondly, it is true that the west makes fun of other cultures.

9. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Yes we can deny that. This huge population below poverty line doesn't all stay in slums. They live in small villages and try to make honorable living for their family however poor it is. Slums do not make India. There's much more in India which is worth picturising and is done in various movies.

For the Oscar, I think Taare Zameen Par deserved it more.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  10. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Thats so bad God knows how many others had to face that.