1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you spank your toddler ?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sricharani, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Asha and Pon - Dont feel so bad girls, please. Agreed it shouldnt have happened but we are human too and its ok to make mistakes. It was really nice that both of you apologized because then they now know how to make amends for mistakes right? Thats a good lesson too. It made me think that I am not very good at apologizing to DS and I should learn from you two to make sure I say sorry too.

V.

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Vanathi,

Me too not very good at appologizing. Actually other day Lenora was throwing spit bubbles out of her mouth and I thought she will get habituated and she got one on the mouth, but I waited before pampering her to see the effect and she understood she was wrong. So waiting for sometime to realise that something has gone wrong does help instead of appologising too quick that's what I feel. Now my baby is small don't know if I will be emotionally blackmailed in near future like how Pon and Asha are mentioning hope so I continue to be stern.

3. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

vanathi and lyn.. i say sorry only when i really think what i did was wrong. just to make her alright, i never never apologise coz kids usually take it to their advantage. in this case, i should have been appreciative of her trying to write, rather than expecting the perfect right there. those times i shout at her and dont say sorry, she would ask me why i didn't say sorry.. and i clearly explain that i scolded her for a valid reason and that she can't expect apologies when she is at wrong. and i do remind her to say sorry when she realises her mistakes.. she is usually quick in doing that.

at Len's age, Lyn.. there are chances of this spitting bubbles increasing if you try to be too stern. its better to divert her into something else. and if my dd was to do something like this now, and i happen to hit her, i wouldn't apologise ever.

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Actually Asha I wasnt trying to criticise the sorry - far from it. I was thinking that its a great thing to apologize to your child when you are in the wrong and that I should learn from you girls.

V.

5. asha_karthik

oh V, you were quite clear in your last post.

6. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Asha,

I have been going through Linda Goodman's and now I know DD will behave like that only and is going to be very rigid so now I take another way out. Yesterday, I didn't say anything, didn't spank her, just kept the food aside, didn't nurse either, later she was hungry and gobbled everything.

Asha, Pon,

You are doing gr8 as mothers. Rather children mould us to be perfect mothers. Don't worry you did the best for your child and they will love you even more when they become mothers coz that's what I realise when I am mother and feel good my mother spanked me enough.

7. asha_karthik

oh yes lyn, that works better with dd too.

oh i can't wait that long ! :) but yes, whether or not dd made me a perfect mother, she has been teaching me lot of patience. yesterday when i explained about dd's behavior at school interview to my sis on phone (where i had to do lot of talking to make her behave and get an admission), she was all laughing and then said "is this my little sister who could be so patient?"