Do you send letters and greeting cards by post ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by flowerlady, Dec 6, 2011.

1. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Writing letters and sending greeting cards by post has become rare . Most people depend on the phone or write emails, use FB for sending messages and greetings.
    Earlier the postman was a welcome sight and cards were bought and posted in bulk for New Year and festivals.
    I miss the excitement of receiving and sending letters and cards . Do you still send cards or use the internet for the same ?:coffee

2. Gudiayadav

Gudiayadav New IL'ite

i use internet for sending cards and letters or send flowers personally bt never use post...

3. inlovewithmylyf

inlovewithmylyf Platinum IL'ite

Yeah Flowerlady, at my place before me got the phone connected, my mom used to sit n write letters to her sister n brothers n parents n then my dad continues once she's finished... :) By the time she sends a letter to one, she gets a letter from the other person... My dad used to go to the post-office to get the inland letters almost every week... I used to wait at the door for the postman uncle who comes by a bicycle with a bunch of letters to be delivered to many homes in the neighborhood... I would be so eager to see my mom read the letter aloud to me... :) ... If m at home, the first thing I would love to know from whoever has sent the letter is tht, if they have asked anything about me... :) ... My mom would sometimes make up things like ur uncle, aunt or grandparents are asking if ur studying well... :) ... Now-a-days I really miss all tht... We never geta single letter these days... :( ... All the communication is via phone...

During the time of New Year, me n my parents would go to the shops to select greeting cards to be sent to friends n relatives... Then sitting n writing wishes on the card n sending it to our dear ones... Also waiting for others cards n see whose sent the best card each time... :) ... I had a good collection of all the New Year n Birthday cards... All tht used to be fun... :) ... I miss those good old days...

I even miss my parents sending money orders to my grandparents... Those days, they send the MO n once they receive it, they sign n send the receipt... I miss tht too... :( Now-a-days, they only transfer money n draw it from the ATM... :(

Now-a-days, we don't send cards n don't receive any... Any occassion or celebration at home, the phone starts ringing early in the morning till midnight... Everyone keeps wishing on the phone or FB or through e-mails...

4. flowerlady

Thanks for the input !
    Inlovewithmylyf , you have written all the things which I wanted to .
    Even my parents wrote lengthy letters and we could recognise the handwriting of each relative. It was exciting to wait for the postman, letters and cards were treasured for years.
    Greeting cards were displayed on the top of the fridge for all to see.
    Now though the internet is ideal for communication but it lacks warmth of yesteryears

5. swarna1388

swarna1388 Silver IL'ite

Me and My sister used to draw something like nature , flowers , pongal - pot , cranes , deepavali - crakers for all our relatives in post and sent during our school days and college days.

Now for one year we didn't because got married and settled in different places.

When we gone to some relatives , they showed the drawings and some of them pasted in wall. for that we felt very happy.

Still we love to draw and send cards........
    That memories are very beautiful like our drawings............

6. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Dear Flower Lady,

Your post is truly a reminder of the good days when we were not tech-savvy. The sight of the postman would bring in a twinkle of hope in our eyes expecting letters from our dear and near ones.

Sending Greeting cards for Diwali, New Year etc. was an affair that we would all look forward to. Making a list of relatives, friends, business associates etc. was so much fun as the very names of those people would bring back memories with them. The Postman had a busy job.

Festival decorations in the houses included putting up everybody's greeting cards on display. Oh, it was so much fun and colour.

These days, we have emails and smss to convey our regards and wishes, but without a personal touch. True, we save on time as we have ready made messages on the internet to just copy and paste.

Wish those days would be back when we would expect the postman at the door with a pile of mails and cards!!!

7. flowerlady

Earlier even in movies letters used to play such important roles , the hero -heroine sang upteem songs while writing letters and running around hiding them later .
    There are many songs based on letters , one that immediately comes to mind is Sangam movie:_ Yeh Mera Prem Patra Padke ki tum naraaz na hona.......
    Now in this tech savvy age I wonder if anyone write Prem Patras !

8. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

Yes writing and receiving letters used to be great fun before the arrival of phone and internet. I loved writing lengthy letters to friends and relatives. In my family everyone has got a passion for writing letters. Unfortunately this habit is diminishing slowly. No matter we try to find solace by writing emails though they have become shorter now. I still preserve a greeting card my sis gave me for my 5th birthday. During school and college days selecting cards from greeting card shops was irresistible.Greeting card collection was a hobby those days. I doubt very much if anyone from todays world will find letter writing interesting.

9. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

The only Prem Patr song of the new era (even though many years ago) I can think of is Kabootar Jaa Jaa Jaa....from Maine Pyaar Kiya

But Yeh Mera Prem.....is an all time classic and favourite and such lovely words.

10. mums

mums Platinum IL'ite

During school and college days i used to give hand made cards to all my frnds on their b'days. I used to start early in December to make New Year cards( i used to give nw yr cards to entire class------poor me!!!!!). After marriage i m bugging my hubby with hand made cards!!!!!!!!!!! He teases me by calling NO.1 kanjooos on planet earth.... on milkiway galaxy..........

I enjoy making cards with diffrnt themes, i m a v.silent gal but made many friends by giving these cards.