Do you like to wear Anklets (Payal)?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by malspie, Nov 13, 2008.

Do you like to wear Anklets (Payal)?

Poll closed Nov 13, 2009.
  1. Yes - With Tinkles

48 vote(s)
    53.9%
  2. Yes - Without Tinkles

30 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. No - I find it out fashioned

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. No - because of dress code in office

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Your dressing is not complete without accessories. I understand that the modern women are compelled to stay away from some of the beautiful and traditional accessories because they have to strictly follow a dress code in the office. While some of us have given it up totally declaring it as outdated and boring and some out there are yearning to wear them.

Today, I would like to talk about Anklets or Payal which is one of the most beautiful accessories designed for a woman’s leg. Did the word Anklet bring sparkle in your eyes? Let me confess folks, it did in my eyes for sure. I cannot wear set of bangles and anklets to my office and also have to be very careful when I choose the colours of my clothes.

During school days I was not allowed to wear any accessory and during college days our western clothes did not go with the Anklets and now that I am working, I have another set of problem, though I have a treasured pair of anklet beautifully designed for my legs.

I do wear them on occasions! What about you gals! Do cast your votes and feedbacks?

2. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Dear mals..

I love to wear it... but for some dresses it wont suit... so i wear it at home... and for some special occasions especially when i wear saree...

When my DH comes to know its one among my favou he gifted me one gold anklet for our 2nd wedding anniversary... i always love to wear it..but not with western dresses...

3. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Malspie,

I'd love to, but I think that being very much on the wrong side of fifty, it may be unseemly. As a college student, I used to wear payals without the tinkles and for functions and poojas, a pair of beautiful tinkling anklets. Is there a reason associated with anklets like they say for 'metti'?

Padma

1 person likes this.
  4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vahee,

Most of us do not wear the accessory because it does not go with the dress code. The fact is we secretly love to wear it.

Wow! Gold Anklets as gift! You are damn lucky. :thumbsup

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Padma,

You can always wear a simple one without tinkles. Why give up something due to age?

Age is in head and has nothing to do with life.

Go and get one for you and do wear them.

1 person likes this.
  6. Asha25

Asha25 Senior IL'ite

I love to wear payal I feel incomplete when not wearing them I love the tinkle sounds when I am walking and everyone know where I am in the house:) outside when I am wearing them cant really hear them but feels good to know I have them on for myself.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  7. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mals,

I do wear Payal with tinkles all the time !

1 person likes this.
  8. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

HI Malspie,
    I love to wear anklets with tinkles. During my school and college days they were default accessory for me. But here in US because of the cold weather I cannot wear it. I have to wear shoes when we go out. So, now I am not wearing any. But I love to wear and hear the tinkle sound.

9. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Mals,

I love Anklets that too with tinkle ... :wow: ... I wear during Summer and at home ... I used to wear when I was in India always ... :)

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Malpua,

I voted for anklets without tinkles. I love anklets in silver- antique, funky, crystals, coloured- they are the ultimate feminine fashion understatement. My anklets keep going on and off- off during gym, work, Western clothes and on during home---. My best anklets are gifted by my mama, by my thesis superviser, by mom. Vandhana had written about Nakkoda payals in Bangalore, it had always been a fond dream to shop there.Too sad, just yesterday a Bangalore Ilite was telling me that Nakkoda is all closed and out of business. It broke my heart. I am looking forward to a trip to Madras to see what I get in Sukra. Must say, if there is one accessory I have to choose- just one (apart from my thali) it would be silver anklets.

Padma- I read that anklets and metti have significance wrt acupressure points. They are supposed to press the nerves connected to the heart and some say, the uterus.I heard this from PoojyaSri Mathioli Saraswathi Amma. Also, Amma said, that in olden days when women walked barefoot, they were more prone to wounds and bites on feet, which may go unnoticed.But checking the anklets and metti, they would detect the wounds. So, apparently there was spiritual, physiological and practical issues in simple wearing of anklets.

And Padma, you should wear your anklets, maybe without tinkles. I am sure you know that Devi is never seen without Her anklets. Sree Soundarya Lahari stanza 91 is the varNanai (I can't just say description) of Devi's graceful gait and slender ankles adorned with anklets of Padmaragakkal. Wow!!!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008