Do you know why 'no' to few things in our culture?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by JustAni, Mar 15, 2007.

1. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

Re: Is it good to keep the navagraha photo???

oh is it????:eek:mg:,i am having foto...what to do???? i think i can keep it in the temple.
    thank u so much vidhya.:bowdown

2. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Re: chanting of sloka

Hi Avita

Your query is in the wrong section. Please post it in the religion & spirituality section. Chithraji will be able to help you with your query.

Regards,

Corallux

3. aproop

aproop Bronze IL'ite

Re: Not using sesame seeds on saturday.

saturdays are auspicious for Sanishwara....back home in Mangalore after the pooja we are given black sesame for prasadam. I have never heard of not using it on Saturdays instead it is gud n blessed by Sanishwara.

Anu

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Srilak,

Ellu saadam (Sesame rice) is considered to be very auspicious for Lord Saneeshwara.

Infact, many people offer them as "Neivedhyam" particularly on Saturdays meant for Saneeshwara Bhagawan after lighting lamps with Sesame oil.

Cheers
    Krithika

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  5. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi

i heard too that we can't use sesame seeds on saturday and thursday but don't know either the reason.....

bye

6. kranthe02

kranthe02 New IL'ite

Why haircutting is not done on tuesdays in india?

namaskaram..

i have some religious practices doubts...

* Why haircutting or shaving is not done on Tuesdays and is inauspicious in india and barber shops are closed on that day. why so? ..is this anything related to mangala planet (Mars - red planet) influence?

waiting for ur replies

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  7. kranthe02

kranthe02 New IL'ite

hai i am very new to this thread and want to share few do and don't of culture...anyway past and current generations are following this traditons but if our future generations question us on this ...what to say? and we may not get a proper answer for the questions from anyone in future..and if they don't follow, they miss the benifits of our customs and traditions.
    for eaxmple: Our four Vedas were said to have 1131 branches earlier. But now only 13 branches are traceable ( about 1%). Out of these 13 branches only 7 are now chanted in different parts of India.
    so in the same way one day comes where no one follows the traditions, if we don't teach them their significances...
    at present so many old people know the reasons behind this rituals, customs and traditions than our parents..so it is the time to get the answers from them..atleast we can get a clue to think about them..

8. kranthe02

kranthe02 New IL'ite

Re: Why haircutting is not done on tuesdays in india?

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Tuesday is ruled by planet Mangal (Mars) that has the capacity to guard the malignant Shani and Rahu with which colours like black and brown (hair colour as well), nails and bones are associated; a 600-year old theory says if the above mentioned are fiddled with on this particular day, it turns out to be harmful. [/FONT]

9. anukvs

anukvs Senior IL'ite

Re: Why you should not sit with legs crossed

Just read it on the net ... though i myself sit with legs crossed all the time. Need to learn with both the feet grounded.

When we sit with one leg crossed over the other, say for more than 10 mins, we put tremendous pressure n burden on the main artery that supplies blood to the feet. This over a period of time results in leg / knee pain. We are cutting off nerve energy. This also means that indirectly, with the thought of relaxing.. we are actually giving the heart tremendous work to do to pump the blood with force to let some blood flow through the nerves. The best way to sit is it sit with back straight, and both feet on the floor.

anu

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

I wonder how I missed this thread, this is a favorite subject, I mean asking questions about why to many of our practices. Like all moms, my mom also used to scold me for asking such questions and being disobedient. She never could answer many of my questions. Only later I found the answers by myself.I shall give some of them.
    1. Eat before lightling the lamp in the evening- this used to be followed in olden days because they used to light the lamp just as the sun is setting, and without much light, insects or any other such things could fall into the food and we may not know.
    This changed to, eat after lighting the lamp. Now can we follow this rule, many come home at the wee hours of the day after work.
    2.Staying alone during periods and not taking baths- one had to go to the waterbody to have a bath those days and bathing during the periods in a public place will contaminated the waterbody and cause problems. So women were not allowed to bath those 3 days. And they were kept alone till their flow stopped (not just for 3 days like now). Even appalam, pickle etc. were prepared separately for use during this period. So we can say that they followed perfectly. And remember that women did not venture out of the house much those days.
    3.Do not keep the dust and garbage sweeped during the day and do not throw away this when sweeped during night- this is for hygene only, throwing away the dust during the day. And it was caution not to throw away the swept waste in the night- it may contain something of importance and one may overlook because of the darkness. Now, can we say the same for today? ( Girls and young women were told that if they keep the waste in the corner during the day time, they will be made to sit in the corner during festivals and functions at home due to periods, how is that?)
    4.etchil edarathu- mud flooring will be kept clean if mopped with cowdung and no insects. But today's cows eat anything and everything (at lest in Chennai) and their dung has a bad smell. How can one think of even touching it? Best idea is to clean with water after picking up the dropped food bits and them mopping with a wet cloth. for table, use a good solution and then wipe with a wet cloth and then a dry cloth.
    5.Lighting lamps in the morning and evening- this also would have come into existence due to necessity. As soon as one gets up, the need for light is there. So lighting the lamp at dawn and the same reason for evening lighting of lamp. Later this would have become worship and auspicious.
    Many people keep small lights on the door steps during the winter season both at the dawn and dusk traditionally. Even this practise was done to help people who tread the streets. Those days there was no electricity and no street lamps. And the houses were in a row and when lights are kept in all the houses, that used to illuminate the whole street.
    When you keep small lamps in the door step of the flat or inside the compound of an individual house, what purpose does it serve? Instead, we could switch on the electric light on the front step. We usually let the light burn when the street lights are out, even throughout the night. I do not place small lamps on the door step of my first floor home, which would not help anyone.
    (the people who keep the small lamps will never switch on the electric light on the front as the electricity bill will shoot up).
    I think I have said too much, I will stop now. Do share your thoughts on my thoughts, please.