Do you know why 'no' to few things in our culture?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by JustAni, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Re: Do's and Dont's

Sri.. Thanks a bunch!!!

In my household.. my amma wasnt very keen on all these, so I never get to know them, even though when we used to go to friends place.. I made sure I never sneak into their kitchen and get embarrassed unnecessarily.

But now, the situation is solid. I am married to this family where both my MIL and PIL is there and are very keen in following all these. I can't run back door are avoid kitchen :mrgreen:

So started learning them slowly, because as you had mentioned.. I dont want these simple trivial stuff to become an issue.. its not that big a deal not to follow anyways and as you explained, there seems to be good reasoning for it too.

I used to get "that look" from my PIL when I keep cooked rice and curd together.. still I do it whenever I meet them..I try to remember.. but I forget and just keep it and start eating :mrgreen: Here, theres no one to question.. so I am happy.. but got to learn and remember these when I go back :)

2. Nandshyam

Shanthi.. :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown I love you.... Wow... great explanation.. but in simple user friendly terms :) I like that !!!!!

Now, your explanation encourages me not to become sad or upset over certain rules.. but follow it.. because its for our own good..

Oru quick question.. with a pinch of tumeric.. u said u are doing the yechhal... it doesnt stain :hiya:hiya just curious :) I would be kicked if I do something and make the dining table yellow :mrgreen:

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Nandu,

The pure turmeric does not stain that is what my doctor says. I use turmeric mixed in the water to pacify my fil...we dont have a dining table u see..so saved...when dining table comes will do it with water..alone.

4. Nandshyam

Oh .. pure meaning that manjal you powder and use it huh.. ok ok ...understood :) I guess I will start with water now :)

Also, about "that time" I feel not just that its too much work in those days and they rest.. but also in those days where is whisper or carefree or tampons right.. so for hygiene purposes too, they were confined in one area I think :) If you ask me, I love to be left alone not just 3 days but for the entire 5-7 days.. Just give me food and TV ;)

5. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

True Nandhu,

It was the same with me. Though my mom followed few of them, she never forced us to follow these. She was taking care of the kitchen, we simply took part in eating what she cooked. So there was not problem. But after marriage, even i have a PIL and MIL. My PIL is very strict about these customs and my MIL helps me to accustom with those. As you said , here there is no one to question us and in the life style we live, you wouldnt find time to follow these. I am a working women, so i cook my lunch the night before. And with the chill climate , you dont have to worry about food getting spoiled, so i dont follow them here, but when I go back , I ususally struggle the first two days because of not in touch with these customs, but then I tell myself, this is just to satisfy them and to be in the good books... I dont want these silly things to come in between such beautiful relationships...We have bigger issues to worry about, so why not take care of these silly ones....

Sri

6. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Just thought of sharing the Order and position in which dishes are served in some of south indian community as a tradition...

A traditional south indian sappadu, is served on a "Thala Vazha ilai" (banana leaf) (the narrow part of the leaf should be placed on the left hand side
    Payasam - is served on the right bottom corner
    Tayir Pacchidi - is served on the top right corner
    A little of Payasam is served at the beginning and tasted first in a feast, as it is customary to start eating with a sweet dish. Actual serving of the Payasam as dessert will be after the course with rasam and before the course of curd rice).
    Three types of vegetable curries - served to the left of pacchidi (Atleast 2 vegetables combined with coconut shreds is a standard fare.)
    (In most of the kalyanams you can see cabbage curry with green peas and ground coconut added, another is a curry of lady's fingers (okra) and the third is a curry of finely cut stems of the banana tree.)
    Avial - is served to the left of the curries
    A pair of vadais - served at the leftmost bottom
    Appalam,solid sweet, such as laddu or mysorepak - placed over the vadais
    Pickles (lemon , avakai, mango in the form of mAvadu) - Placed on the left extreme at the top
    Pinch of salt - below them in the left extreme
    Parupu - the middle of the bottom portion of the leaf plate (Paruppu is always served before food)
    Ghee served over rice after rice is served
    Kootu and poduthuval take the centre stage
    If there is Bhoondi it takes a strategically precarious place between uppu and kootu.
    On the top right, comes exceedingly syruppy and intolerably sweet "pineapple jaam", which rubs often with an equally crappy and sour "thayir pachidi"
    The main actor in this culinary drama, rice is heaped, steaming and white, on the centre of the banana leaf, with a small puddle of hot ghee dripped into its middle.
    I have heard a thumb rule that u put the driest on the left of the eater and serve the more "Liquidy" dishes rightwards.
    The top half of the leaf is reserved for accessories, the lower half for the rice, and in some communities, the rice will be served only after the guest has been seated

Regards,
    Sri

7. Nandshyam

Sri.. Cool!!!!!

Wow.. love to eat like that here :crazy:crazy:crazy

yep, thats what I heard too :)

8. avita

avita Senior IL'ite

chanting of sloka

hi
    can v chant slokas during periods?
    if should nt chat then after how many days should we?
    if v for any temple after long time and after going there if v get periods then wat can we do? some ppl say that during such time v should take bath in that temples pond and drop 1.25paise in pond and worship the god with that wetness. Is this procedure correct?

9. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

Is it good to keep the navagraha photo???

hi to all,
    is it good to keep or bad Navagraha photos in puja room??? i read it somewhere,that v should not keep it:confused2:

10. vidyasriram

vidyasriram Senior IL'ite

Re: Is it good to keep the navagraha photo???

Hi,

We should not keep it at home, it is meant to be only in the temple because after doing pooja for navagraha the priest has bath.

I have never heard of anybody having navagraha photo at homes, they sell those photos for danam.

-Vidya