Do you know why 'no' to few things in our culture?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by JustAni, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi aruna,

as i already said, i have a son who will not accept things unless i give him an explanation..so the simple reasons and ways to explain....nice to know that you like it ....and i am not so good in expressing...just learning my way around...

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi,
    what i came to know about 'not to sleep with your head facing north' is it is proved scientifically that the magnetic field of the north pole and south pole attracts each other. This gives the person BP and other ailments.
    sriniketan

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Logic seems true and it cannot be argued upon by my son...thanks sriniketan....

4. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

A very thought provoking topic raised by the IL family and some lively messages too...
    As our traditions taught us so many things of which our elders have forgotten to add the scientific reasons behind it left us to think some of the practices are vague and improper to present days.
    In fact every incidents in which the do's and don'ts has a clear scientific and spiritual basics behind it.
    Our Ancient Veda Sastra's have clearly earmarked all Do's & Don'ts...
    It has given us the Chart of all plus and minus factors in following the rituals.
    Out Of our shear Ignorance, Our elders did not gave us the clear picture on this or our Inability to follow due to various reasons.
    Today we experiance all the set-backs as well as disappointments.
    Although the life styles are fast changing and the tradional values diminishing in some places , we are able to realaize the golden days of yesteryears, our anchestors enjoyed.
    Asatoma Sad Gamaya, Tamasoma Jyotir Gamaya ( Lead me from falsehoods to truth and from ignorance to enlightenment )
    Bathing is an integral part of daily routine in every Indian's life.
    Special occasions call for holy dips in sacred rivers and lakes as enumerated by the scriptures. That a bath keeps us healthy through personal hygiene is a well known fact. Participating in Mela's is an oppertunity to worship various deities and river gods.
    Polygraphic studies proved that water enhances electro-magnetic activity.
    In the context of this finding, the religious practices like washing hands and feet before entering temples and taking bath everyday, worshipping with wet clothes and offering prayer standing in the middle of water chest-deep in rivers and tanks etc., seem to be more scientific than a mere act of cleanliness.
    Human body is centre of electric currents and impulses.
    A continuous process of generation and consumption of electric energy takes place in the human body.
    More energy is generated in our body whenever we are excited and battle various emotions as well as indulge in intense physical activity.
    However, at night when we retire until the next morning this generation and consumption level of power drops drastically.
    This is the reason why we feel so lethargic on waking up in the morning.
    We are neither active physically non mentally.
    Washing our face immediately clears the cobwebs of drowsiness.
    A bath certainly freshens up completely and puts us in our best shape.
    This happens due to the fact that water consumes the electricity in our body.
    This is known as Electro-magnetic activity. Physics describes this in detail. Therefore, taking bath has more to do with such scientific reasoning than merely cleanliness.
    The time 90 minutes prior to sunrise is called Braahmi Muhurtham.
    This time is good for academics, purohits and the time where in the later hours, the night the last 48 mins. (2 ghadi) is called Braahmi Muhurtham.
    'Braahmi' means Saraswathi, the Goddess of intellect.
    The above specified time is auspicious for gaining and sustaining intelligence and knowledge, owing to which it is called Braahmi Muhurtham.
    It is during Braahmi muhurtham that Sun god spreads his rays just as a peacock spreading its feathers.
    He starts spreading his light and energy throughout the world.
    The light rays from the Galaxies influence the human brain.
    The nascent sun spreads thousand arms in the form of rays across the sky, which emit light-blue devine rays.
    These rays bring to life the cells and the brain. Lord Surya or the sun god is also the god of life.
    If the man can synchronise his senses with these rays during this hour he will be empowered with unchallengeable energy.
    This observation was endorsed by sages.
    This is the time when the life under the sun still remains in deep sleep supported by the tranquil and pleasant environment, the sages and munis spread the power of penance, which comes out in the form of high powered electrical and magnetic charge, for the upliftment of the living creatures on the earth.
    If one keep awake during these hours, it is possible to benefit from this charge.
    Pooja is a part of Indian tradition.
    However, pooja in the Indian context is not just as simple as reading something from a holy book.
    All those performing the pooja are involved in the process of worship.
    This is considered to be a direct way communicating with the god.
    I would like to share this topic with more scientific and spiritual meanings if members are interested..

Rest in next...
    Subbu

5. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

Dear ILites,
    this is indeed a good thread. I too dont beleive in following things without an explanation for them, and i can see myself getting answers here. Am happy to be a part of this forum.
    My grandmother never liked the concept of having a mixie in the house, at the time we used to think probably she wants to save money, but when we grew a little older my mother explained that the sole reason for this was that by grinding masalas on the stone, was an exercise for us.Also olden times people preferred to use the indian style commode, this was also because while sitting in a squatting position provided pressure and the chances of constipation were less. Today we have so much convenience like mixers, fridge, microwave etc etc , but along wioth these we have invited diseases in to our lives as well.now even we get machines to knead the dough, and the people who use these equipments complain of arthritis, coz they dont have any exercise of their plams and fingers.
    Subbu, would like to read more of your articles, very informative

6. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,
    This is a nice thread... I too follow the things just the way my mom told me, but my husband questions me for reason and now I got answers for some of his questions and I am glad that I came across this thread.

Subbu.. Please continue your post and it is very interesting...

Thanks
    Priya

7. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Not using sesame seeds on saturday.

I have a doubt that can we use sesame seeds in curries on saturday...My mother always told me not to use sesame seeds on satarday...but today I made a curry with the seeds and My DH didn't like the idea of eating it on saturday ......he couldn't tell the reason behind not eating the sesame seeds on saturday.

one more thing, we don't bring any oil or meat on saturday. Is bringing oil on saturday comes with any negative energy? Anyone has explanation for this?

Thank you.
    srilak.

8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Do's and Dont's

Hey Guys,

Is there any thread explaining the do's and dont's in hinduism that our elders follow.. There are lot many things that our elders follow, mainly his mom in day 2 day life. [ curd to be placed here.. cooked rice to be kept there and all these sorts of madi... also during rituals and festivals.. these shud be mandatory and these are a big nono's and stuff like that]

I would atleast like to know them[not sure if I can follow it always] so that I dont do that when I am with my patti IL[yes patti in law] ;) or my MIL ;) :mrgreen: Seniors here or anyone with such information can you please post them here so that it will be useful for people like me :hiya:hiya

Also if there is some reason to why they do it, please do post.. it would be helpful to understand and allow if genuine

Thanks a ton!!!

Mods, if theres any thread similar to this, my bad.. can you please merge it.. I just searched this section randomly :(

9. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Re: Do's and Dont's

Nandshyam,

I totally agree with you, though these cannot be followed on a daily basis, atleast knowing them is better. I personally believe , for most of the customs followed have a reason (mostly scientific) behind them - NOT ALL. The only thing that we need to think about them is if they are genuine and still apply to the present day of living.

Even without the above said, it atleast gives a satisfaction to our elders knowing that their younger generation still give respect to their ideas and follow them (A good impression about us). It would atleast help maintain the rapport that we have with our elders (especially inlaws who are particular about these customs) .

To start with I read an article about "Pathu pasai" , thought that would be of interest to you. This is mostly related to the Brahmin sect of the south Indian community.

"Pathu pasai" are basically ideas of purity and pollutions.
    After eating a meal , the place where the meal was taken has to be washed with hand using water (Echal iduthal). In a more orthodox & traditional family (With Elderly women like patti's) cow dung is used and if you are not able to get Cowdung, Turmeric is used as a substitute. The main reason to use these items are because these are antibacterial agents. Now a days though Cowdung or Turmeric are not used,still the practise of wiping the floor with water before using a cloth to dry is in existense.
    This is done to purify the place where polluted food (echal meaning saliva, already touched with mouth) was taken.
    In general cooked food (rice, sambar, rasam, curry) are considered "pathu". Food like, Ghee, milk, yogurt, pickles, oil are considered non polluted, hence if a food that is labelled "Pathu" is touched then before touching the "Non-Pathu" food one is expected to wash hands.
    Old food (remains of previous cooking - "Pazhayathu") is kept even more isolated (considered most polluted) and such food is not put on stove for normal cooking.
    The belief on purity and pollution of foodstuff traces back to the difference between food articles that are perishable (polluted) to those that can be stored for more that one time use (ghee, pickle etc). However, milk (of the cow that is sacred) is considered pure in spite of being perishable. In general practice, the pure and polluted foods are not mixed together; even containers are not placed touching each other. One is expected to wash hands after touching polluted food before touching the pure ones.
    Onion and garlic are not consumed on auspicious days. Though old women like Pattis never consume these.

Will add other related articles to this threat as and when i find time.

Regards,
    Sri

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame