1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you know what your child talks/discusses at school?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,

Nice thread,

Well my daughter Neiv , all of 5 years,goes to a Toddlers Academy and is the most talkative of the lot. She keeps all the students and the teacher occupied with WHAT GOES ON IN MY HOUSE!!
    Everytime I go to pick her up , her teacher knows exactly where we went the previous night for dinner, who came home,Where has her granny gone, Which neightbours had a fight, Which kids in the society are not well and what they are suffering from........All of them seem to enjoy it. The whole class misses all this BBC talk when she's absent . This has made my DH and me learn a lesson . Never argue about anything in front of Neiv ,unless you would like to hear the teacher enquiring about it the next day!!Big Laugh

Regards,

Devika

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

DM,
    Nice to know about neiv. believe it or not my DS was like that. now he knows what to talk where. but when he was 5-7, he will go and tell his class teachers (only class teacher), about what is cooked, when a party is hoisted, when i baked a cake...and ofcourse as you are write..bbc..but mine was like only to the favourites and not the whole class.

But the interesting thing, was, if he felt his teacher was dull, or something he will come home and pester me to call his teacher..( by then he will have got his teachers home number:spin:spin)..I have to call her at home and cut a sorry figure..but the way he is considerate of his teachers and classmates, shows promise, so we don't stop him.

A hug to neiv...and also be careful when you have arguments ...Big LaughBig Laugh

3. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Thanks Shanthi for the reply.

And now I know that I should make him open up himself about school. I hope that he will learn to do it in time.
    I was laughing at the description abt your DS concentrating on bothBig Laugh. Mine is like his daddy. Can concentrate on only one thing at a timeRant.

As you mentioned, he talks abt home to his Tamil Teacher only. here the curriculum in Tamil encourages more conversations at school rather than written work to improve the vocabulary and fluency in Tamil which most kids lack due to the multiracial environ ment. So the Tamil teacher was telling me that she would ask open ended questions which leads my little one to reveal her that his amma went for eyebrow threading yesterday:hide:.

One more thing Shanthi, what is the Tamil word for Car? Is it 'sitrundhu' ? his teacher was telling that it is a Kaadi (which I think is derived from the hindi word, from hindi speaking singaporeans and widely used by tamil s'poreans too to describe the car) But I am not convinced that it is a Tamil word at all.Please help.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Vijee,

Nice to know that you child is learning tamil.

I thought i will ask the tamil teacher and come back:hide: ..my bad luck she has gone out for the weekend.

As my tamil knowledge is just oral.I cannot say if it is right..

but if you get the makkal tv channel watch it, you will learn all the correct words..(I don't understand half of it though, initiallybonkbonkbonk)

Big Laughthank god it was only about eyebrow threading. some kids are like that..but they will learn as they grow up.

until then we need to be very very careful....

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all,

The recent happening in two schools, one a charity funded and another one of the high figh costly schools reiterates my belief that we as parents should know what is happening at school and outside.

The case of the teacher who was with the school for 20 years forcing and molesting a 13 year..(I only wonder, if this was the only case) and there was another case which was brought to this forum by another il also...the small child being groped by a visitor at the school.

There was another case last year, where the teacher in one of the upcoming but elite school had been roughing up a girl and she had gone ahead and complained and though action was taken it was shhhhhhhed...

Most of us parents with girls especially need to take double care to teach our children about the bad and good touch. and not as a soft lesson, but with a little bit of reality..

What do you all think....

6. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Shanthi

We dont get to see Makkal Tholaikkatchi and for that matter any cable TV since I dont subscribe to it. We watch the Singapore broadcasted channels which includes a channel for Tamil Programs for few hrs every day.

Thanks and I will wait for the correct tamil word for Car.

Regarding the kids and big mouth I withdraw my statement tha t my DS can concentrate on only one thing at a time. Few days ago,DS was watching TV and I was talking to a friend (phone), and we were discussing about ironies of life/God/kids etc which ended up with me telling abt how I wished for a girl and god blessed us with a boy. Then this morning, out of blue, DS was asking me tentatively whether I love him or not since God only gave me the boy while I wished for a girl. I had a heartbreak and took a lot of time convincing that he is the apple of my eye. Now I know that I have to be carefulbonk.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

HI vijee,

The teacher says now they say magzhilirundu...(bonkbonk).

And better be careful with children around. we need to always observe. kids are very sensitive these days(ofcourse that is another topic...)

8. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

thanks shanthi.

I am very sure that abhi wont be able to pronounce this word.
    Yes now i really do watch what i say..in front of him.
    (BTW did you see my reply post to you, in the discipline..thread? what is your opinion and any suggestions to handle this? Thanks)