1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you know what your child talks/discusses at school?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Humera,

I feel you son is too sweet. he loves his grandpa, and did not want to talk about the incident. give him :kiss from me. Kids are like sponge they absorb a lot.

he will definitely share with you.

I tell my kids, if you don't talk to me, I cannot help when there is a need.

Let us keep discussing...

2. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

U r rite shanvy..Rishabh is too small to know what he can say and what he cannot...
    he'll be too excited and just say everything!!Even sometimes he talks to starngers as if he knows him/her for a long time..

But im trying to make him understand how to talk to strangers..

I remeber an incident abt a lil boy's weird nature...My friend used to take tuitons for him(he was just 5).One day he kissed a girl on her lips..i completely blame hi sparents for his behaviour...parents r the 1st teacher...They shud be a gud role model to their kids..

Cheers
    Ramya

3. prabhabala

prabhabala Gold IL'ite

Hi shanthi,

I think children discuss everything in school with their friends especially girls after 5th std. Gone are the days we used to be in our room when elders spoke.

Children discuss politics , movies etc.........

I feel good friendship for our kids decides everything in their life.

shruti knows what to talk & when to talk.

Till date she has not disclosed family matters to anyone though she knows every damn thing that happens.

I talk everything to shruti from the time she gets down from her bus she tells me every thing that happens in school including the problems faced by teachers in her school.

Till date she has not hidden anything to me.

prabha

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ramya,

Talking and tackling strangers is very important lesson for kids.

Regarding the incident you mention is in the same lines of the incident i mentioned about the boy who romped the girl in the girls..and for this the parents are also responsible...

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Prabha,

Thanks for stepping in.

I am all for good friends.

nice to know that shruti talks to you and does not hide anything

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

This might look weird in India ...but here in the west,if a child kisses on the lips,I don't think anyone will take it seriously. Everyday,I see parents kissing their children on the lips while saying goodbye at school in the morning.Naturally,even our children seeing this will assume that it is but natural to do it.

7. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi sunitha
    Ofcourse its quite common here in the west...Kissing and hugging r not at a ll a big issue here..But as long as a child does not complain abt being kissed or hugged by his/her classmate its ok..
    2 weeks back i took my son to a birthday party of his classmate..There i found a girl who went abt hugging each and every kid..Some kids didnt say a word..but a boy instantly went to his teacher and complained..so the teacher had to stop her..They r just lil kids..I think thers no harm in it..But as the kids get older we have to teach our kids to be aware of a gud touch and a bad touch..

Cheers
    Ramya

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi,

Kissing your baby on the lips is now common even in india. I have seen it happening a lot in the friends and relative circle. See the problem will come, only when the child goes to school and there is somebody who does not like it or has a different theory to this.

as Ramya says we need to tell our kids what is right or wrong.

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanthi

Interesting topic and I have missed it for so long..!

My son is 6 yrs old and in Primary 1, once he comes back from school I nudge him gently to open up abt the happenings. Although he tells me somethings certain things he wont tell me, unintentionally. When I come to know abt anything (from his friend's(girl) mother), I usually question him abt this and he gives this answer, "oh! that one huh! I forgot to tell you amma".
    And I have discussed this with some of my friends and I noticed an interesting pattern. The girls are good in giving detailed versions, whereas the boys dont bother that much in describing the entire day, thus giving a concised version.
    Recently, I attended a talk about learning styles of children and the speaker was telling that in most of the cases the girls are visual learners since they can absorb a lot and boys are a combination of auditory and visual learners. There may be some exceptions also.
    Since you have boy and girl have you noticed such differences with your kids? Or my understanding is a myth?

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Vijee,

Thanks for your views. I find a difference in both DD and DS. but basically DS is used to non stop chattering..and I have taught both that they have to tell me everything only then I will know what is happening and also can help when they have problems. So i get a run down every evening when they come home. very rare occasion DS forget something, and he will relate it to me without asking.

But I also agree girls are visual learners when I see DD doing Arts and cooking trials. DS is more into visual and audio...but he can concentrate on both. ,many a time, i land up in problem thinking he is seriously watching tv when he has a ear to what i am talking..so learnt to be careful with him

So let us see if anybody else has a different experience....