Do You Hoard Clothing? Impulsive Buying Or Only What U Need?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Feb 24, 2023.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My wardrobe is full of clothes which I used it once or twice..even old clothes look great still coz of quality..some we donate.:

Thread is not about donating clothes etc but just a casual thread on how you use your wardrobe..

Costly clothes just used once or twice ..some rarely we use..

Or do you have bare minimum?

Especially Indian outfits and costly saree..

My friends do not even repeat their gorgeous costly saree again..

So do u buy impulsively or only what u need?

drdiva likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I used to buy clothes randomly and then at one point I got irritated with how bloated my closet looked. I now buy very intentionally and do quality over quantity. And I simply don’t buy expensive Indian clothes because I don’t have any use for them. I belong to way too many sari and ethnic wear groups on IG but haven’t been tempted to pull the trigger yet.

drdiva and anika987 like this.
  3. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

I also had same issue, so gave my kanchi silk sarees , good salwars to my mom and sisters.
    Few to my mother in law also..
    they are using it now.. i dont have heart to donate that and all to other people..

Even though sarees are in very good condition, the design gets old and we dont prefer that for parties and all.. so in case of any occasion only, i am buying.. else the discount should be reallly good, else i am not buying..

anika987 likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Don't know if its coz Of age or maybe I ado y do enough parties..in my situation hoarding is a waste:) I am now buy in for my need and occasional wants and using that money for my other priorities..

In my twenties i used to buy endlessly:)

sweetsmiley likes this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I used to buy clothes for 2 main reasons.
    1- for special occasions such as events, parties, weddings and festivals
    2- smart casual cloths for work, and formals for special occasions at work

I go for expensive ones for the former, but I rarely repeat the same outfit. Either I would try to mix & match or re-make the outfit (tailor make) for another occasion after a couple of years or give it to my sister or SIL. The reason being posting pictures in FB, so I don't feel like repeating the same.

However, I don't go for branded or expensive cloths for work. Apart from buying a few expensive formals, which I would repeat several times until they worn off, I would go for moderate ones for daily use. I have plenty of such cloths which I use till the season ends and then donate to poor people if they remain in good quality.

My wardrobe is periodically cleaned, and it is emptied (except for the most expensive clothes) and replaced with new cloths once in 2 years. This will allow me to try new fashions, and be trendy on choosing my cloths and accessories.

anika987 likes this.
  6. drdiva

drdiva Silver IL'ite

I am also working on the same thing. I have decided to buy less but expensive quality clothes. Earlier I used to buy not so expensive fashionable clothes impulsively. I have seen best dresses also start looking old and worn out after repeating for a year or two so donating old clothes is indispensable.

anika987 likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

What about DH 's wardrobe? Or is it he live only from suitcase? What about senior citizen's wardrobe? Like a MIL or FIL or SIL.
    What about comments of MIL s looking at DIL s wardrobe and vice versa? I presume there is lot to be said with humour and or with rage?

8. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

I inherited my mom's saree collection. The last time I wore a saree was 7 years ago. I dont have ocassions to drape a saree and I have a saree collection for my lifetime. In fact I wear my 9 yards more than my 6 yards. So I dont buy any sarees.

As far as Indian ethnic wears go, I have a suit set that my spouse got me 10 years ago from Lifestyle that gets used along with 2 or 3 others for special ocassions. Somehow never thought of investing in Indian ethnic wear because for me, its a shame to spend so much and not to wear it often. Yet, I got one as a gift from a friend a few months back and one more as a gift from spouse during his recent India trip. Since it has been a while that I purchased clothes from India, looking at the price tag gave me a sticker shock!! Even in $ terms clothes have become so expensive in India!! I always make it a point to tell my visitng family from India not to get me clothes.

As far as other clothes in my wardrobe go - I have only one rule - for every dress I buy, I discard a dress. I follow that rule. However my closet is more than full because my weight tends to fluctuate quite a bit and so does my clothing size. So I have a full wardrobe of 3 different sizes of clothes :grin:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Super it suits even now. Shows your metabolism unchanged and you take good care of your weight and eat more sensibly. You must be fit as Fiddle and neighbour's envy.
    Regards.
    God Bless

gamma50g likes this.