1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a special needs child??

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Dear Indusladies,

CNN.com will be telecasting an all day program tomorrow i.e on April 2nd(World Autism Awareness Day) on Autism Awareness and a special program at 12 pm EST.For more info please see the link below.

Autism: News & Videos about Autism - CNN.com

Regards,
    ManuuRaghuu

2. ManuuRaghuu

Sorry Ladies,

It is CNN tv channel and not cnn.com that is telecasting the program.So please tune in to your TVs.

3. buttercup

buttercup New IL'ite

anyone living in malaysia has any speacial kid? my daughter is dyspraxic and i would like to share some ideas on which school to send ....................................

4. buttercup

buttercup New IL'ite

Do anyone has special need child ( learning disability/dyspraxia) in Malaysia ?
    i like to know more about you and your child.

5. ManuuRaghuu

Hi Buttercup,

Am not from Malaysia but got the following information from the web.

Special Needs School in Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia Education for Children with mild to moderate learning difficulties

Hope this helps...

Hoping that all goes well with your child...

Best Wishes for your family , :)
    ManuuRaghuu

6. buttercup

buttercup New IL'ite

thanks, i've checked this site before , very costly.and i am very far from this place. thanks a lot for your quick info.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear chennai friends,

I felt i did have to share this article i read in the downtown of THE HINDU dated 1/03/09, i am in the southern suburbs so maybe the same maynot be there in your paper, or if it is there then all the more good.

"Learning difficulties? Here is help."

The articles talks about Mrs.Vijayalakshmi, who runs Samrutha Vidyashram which helps children who are determined to excel but have problems ranging from autism,epilepsy, cancer to learning disablities. there are students who are school dropouts, slow learners too..

the best part is that the child can take either the cbse/matriculation exams and also do the +2 with them.

They have students who have come put with flying colors.

she has ideas of starting branches everywhere. right now the school operates out of the space lent by andhra mahila sabha.

She can be contacted at 98846 09696.

Hope it helps somebody here.

(Padma, i was trying to reach you the whole day, so put the piece of info here)

8. oosha

oosha Bronze IL'ite

Greetings for the day.
    dear friends,

I really do not know, how did I miss this thread?

Am happy to see and know of the special angels and love you all.

I adore you all and also wish that we all be strong and patient and face the challenge our dear God has chosen us for...

i am mother of a 10 year old son who is a case of Cerebral palsy, but severely affected, that he is a totally dependant child. In technical terms he can be called as a CP child with multiple disabilities.( Quadriplegia)...

he is a child who is dependant for everything. mentally and physically.

Karan is my angel, who came into this world with distress due to chord around his neck, just before the delivery date. i do not wish to elaborate or blame anyone, as it was destined to happen,

The worst part is the doctor in India did not tell me the facts and I was not even aware of any case like this, and did not know what to expect?. At that point of time the doctor is the best person who knows et all, you see.

Anyways, I have sailed through tough times, but that were only the storms within myself, as to anger,restlessness, miserable and tired...........

Life was too good otherwise as my hubby is the best friend and is supporting me in everyway... and my family esp in-laws are very supportive. I also have an angel - who is 7 year old, who is very supportive for her age and makes me proud.

Karan does not have any cure, except a few therapies so that he does not become stiff and more spastic.

he is a lover of music and recognises us all with our presence and sounds. he is very fond of his sister and loves when she talk to him and especially when she chants the hanuman Chalisa for him every evening....

he attends a special needs school . he is placed on a adaptive wheel chair and the work they do with him is very appreciative. he loves being there and I love to see him with his friends who cant even shake hands with each other but pass thier love with their presence and voices.

Karan can remember any sound /song that he has heard once. So be it my friends or any songs/shloka, when repeated, his facial expressions change and I can claim that I have become a good face reader( for my son exclusively)... Ha??

He would shout with excitement when he is happy and also when he is not in good health. The variables in sound makes me realise his needs and i am correct most of the time.

Symphony music and especially YANNI gives him enormous energy as well as relaxation.... I have the best collection, for him. At the same time be it carnatic or hindustani , or any other, there are a few chords, tunes that strike him. Like us he also feels emotional to some tunes and i do let him cry, as in I do not hush him as I feel thats the best way he emotes??

So this is the wonderful Life that karan has given me, whcih i would not have realised if i was just a normal mother, would be in the same circle of life, that everyone goes through. Through Karan, I have learnt a different side of Life and trust me, I love it.

i have my own ways of relaxing myself and since my hubby is my best support system, life is pretty easy...

Another point that I need to re-iterate is that I am glad I live here in UAE where there are facilities that does not make me feel miserable that I am helpless. but when I travel to India, I feel sad and very bad for Karan as its tough managing him there, even to the basics like ramp, thats missing in a hospital, forget anywhere else....

I thank God for small mercies shown to me and friends, never had i felt " Oh why me?"

When I used to me in grade 10, i used to tell my mom, " please marry me to a handicapped person, as i would love to dedicate my life to such a person, rather than just marrrying anyone and enjoy life like everyone" and remember getting a tight slap as well!!!

Probably, I had that strength in me and was prepared to handle a life like that? I dont know, but this gives me a lot of pleasure to meet similar children and since we are associated with a support group, the kids and the parents have fun, outings movies and the person who started this group is called ANGEL AUNTY..........

When I see some other moms and kids , i gather strength and while i hear that others get inspired by me, I feel all the more strong??!!

While a Down's syndrome mom feels she is still blessed that her child can atleast walk and move, unlike Karan and some other mom felt, though her child is not walking atleast he can sit on his own??? So I inspired them with the reason that though karan is a bedridden/wheel chair bound child, I go out, I smile and live life fully...... They felt I i can do it why cant they?? so they started coming out to functions, take the child out for parties and they could see the fun the child has and also the relief they got. The 2 moms I mentioned are my best friends and we all have fun together......

My prayers to God is that Karan should always be happy and that I should have the strength to understand him always and though I know miracls happen and I am positive, i do not want to hope something in which I get carried away.

So dear friends, one and all who have written in this forum, lets pray together for our children everyday and hope God shows us the way to excel in the exam that HE himself has designed for us.

To end, I would say, its my husband who said one day" Just show God that you can pass the Test, dont become a weakling and at the same time, Do your best. I am with you"

This is what keeps me going. I sincerly pray for all of those like me who are special moms/families and I love you all.

dear moms of special angels, please do not get into the circle of people and things that hurt you, steer away and just be involved with the kids and even there, its good to make them capable, if they have thier capacity, but take care, dont do it for the pressure of others. If it has to come, it will come with your dedication. Do not forget yourselves and yes, Meditation and Pranayams will keep us younger and stronger. Please do practice with help and it really helps de- stress and detox.......

I do not write about Karan anywhere, but I felt, in Ilites, after seeing this thread, its good to share. hence this long post.

I would also like to send a poem that my son's school diary has, but shall do that next time.

The above is just my expression of my life and i hope i havent hurt anyone with any words. if so please do pardon me.

LOve always,

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Dear Oosha,

I read your reply in the pregnancy forum just now where a member has asked about abortion.

i just don't know what to say after reading your wonderful experience here. i'm so humbled. i feel that God knew you are this special person who could take a very good care of His own special child and that's the reason He sent it to you.

I have 2 children aged 4 years and 15 months. with a busy DH and busy life my mornings and bed time (i mean kids' bed time) are esp crazy. this evening too i got so upset with some mischief of my son. when i sit back and think really i feel worthless. how many days i have complained about simple facts of life... i hope to draw some fine lessons from your living... to smile and to accept what life has given us and to learn how to make our life worthwhile with whatever is available...

God bless your angels and your family...

Latha

1 person likes this.
  10. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Oosha,

I read your post with tears in my eyes. Like Latha, I too read your post on the other thread and am awed by your courage.

May God shower your family with happiness and love... Please know that miles away there are people rooting for you and cheering you on (and other courageous moms like you).