1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a kid with Autism?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Mehana, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My first nephew who is now 7 years has autism. When he was little, he was asked not to give milk or dairy products. He was also taking some powder called Supernuthera, on his doctors advise.

The real changes started happening only 3 months ago. There is this place called Medhamind in Chennai, Tamilnadu. They do a certain brain mapping which will help open up the brain cells which are blocked. Apparently kids with autism cannot process certain information. For example, if 25% of the information fed (through schools, books etc) does not enter the brain at all. They simply bounce back. This brain mapping helps the brain to accept the information.

Results seen in 3 months are:
    1. Now makes eye contact when someone talks to him. Before he wasn't.
    2. Is not scared or repelled of certain bright colors like dark blue, dark red etc.
    3. Asks him mom if it's ok to go outside and play; before even if my sis insists, he used to say no.

4 people like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Good for your nephew rakhi.. and thanks for the share..

3. aj_fathima

aj_fathima Bronze IL'ite

The speech therapy clinic is in Aminjikarai.

The physchiatrist was Dr.Vishwanath at Villivakkam.But he's no more now.

After him we consulted Dr.Anand Balan at T.Nagar for regular reviews.

3 people like this.
  4. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Thanks rakhil, fathoms, shanvy.

You shared great news.

In USA we do have only special education class, she should go to India? to utilize all those therapy?

5. Rakhii

Mehana, the technology they use to identify the brain cells which needs to be fixed (for the lack of better word) is called brain mapping. Try to first go through their website and see if there is a similar technology available in us. If not, I guess you can try and temporarily move and see.

I am going to call my sis tomorrow; I can get more details. She SIL be more than happy to help as she knows exactly how difficult it is to see loved one that way.

2 people like this.
  6. Rakhii

It's been a stressful journey Shanvy.. But getting there. It takes a toll on marriage too.

7. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Rakhii. I really appreciate your help!!!

Please try to get that info I'll pass the details to my friend, also few other moms will be benefited through this forum.

Thanks once again.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Mehana, i am sure the treatment should be by far better in the US. i know many people who cite US as the example for facilities. ask your friend to join the indian group of parents with autistic children.I for sure know there is one in yahoo..

When i was searching for speech therapist for a friend i came upon pratibha karanth..you can check out her address here, and i hope the email id is right. Dr. Pratibha Karanth works with autistic children

Another group for the parents Welcome to Centre for Autism Therapy Counselling And Help

Some links to austism groups/centres in india Autism Links in India

Though i know sometimes it is depressing to be in the group of people who are facing the same issues, i am sure you get benefitted more..

Rakhii, i know that it is stressful. definitely they will get through.. i know it takes a toll on the marriage. it takes a special family and a strong one to deal with this..

Lots of positive and strength to the needed families..

3 people like this.
  9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Here you go..

Aditi Shankardass: A second opinion on learning disorders | Video on TED.com

Readthe entire comment section because it gives the information on the clinic where she worked in CA...where're they continue to do the diagnosis. One comment warns not to contact the ads on the page offering the same diagnosis as they are quacks...please be aware of this.

Also there is a Drake institute which is supposed to provide these services...this is for information only...I don't know any personal reccommendation.

Here is an excellent guide from the national autism center for parents on evidence based practices...this gives you information on all the services you can get from your school district.

National Autism Center - Family Education

If you give them an email id they let you download the manual for free. Evidence based means those practices which have been studied and shown to have an impact on the child's progress.

I don't remember if brain mapping was on it (read the manual right after it came out)...don't know if insurance will pay the dues.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  10. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Shanvi for your advice, I really feel grateful to join here and proud of our ilites.

Thanks teacher I will check your link.

Thanks for all your inputs.