1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you guys believe in the concept of Drishti/nazar?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Rakhii, Aug 13, 2013.

1. athreys

athreys Bronze IL'ite

It works so we believe in it :).....and the process is fun too....rotate the hands, put stuff , tell mantras etc so the kids enjoy it too

1 person likes this.
  2. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

i asked mom... so she said it can be done anytime... but preferably dont late evening when the person whose nazar we are taking is awake.... shudnt do it when that person is sleeping she said....

i normally do not believe in a lot of superstitions but somethings i do so that elders dont feel bad... my mom says a married lady should wear a big bindi... when i am at native i wear a bigger one or when she is around i wear bigger ones... but otherwise i wear a small one... i look older than my age i feel when i wear a bigger bindi.... etc...

last weekend me and my son went for a puja in our building.. .he mingled with all... all were happy to talk to him etc (he had met those people just that day not before).... next day from the time he woke up he was in irritated mood.... we thought he didnt sleep well and didnt do potty previous day (sometimes he controls potty when we are out even though we put diaper when we take him out)... but tuesday was similar.... then by end of tuesday i realised may be dristi... remembered someone telling to do with chilli... (i didnt have rock salt at home... mom had told to do with that)... did it... next day he was much better... and from yday he is back to normal!

1 person likes this.
  3. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

I never believed it too.. But similar instances happened with my baby.. Once we went to apply passport for her, and she was crying with hunger when our number was about to be called. I bottle fed her, with soo many people around. After that day she didnot take bottle for around a month and we couldnt guess why!! And got better after we removed drishti.. Also she has had many sleepless nights whenever a particular lady visited us... And many more instances which makes me believe in it now!

In India my mom followed the chilli, salt, mustard seeds method.. After coming to US I did not know how to implement it, I tried it once and whole house was filled with smoke:hide:.. Will try the rock salt idea from the thread now.. :)

4. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

cutemonster,

Thanks for this info, i am expecting my baby in march next year. i dint have idea on this that we shdnt tell about the food eating and all. I will definitely follow this for my baby..

5. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Also whenever I add any cute fotos of her in FB, she falls ill or gets extremely cranky etc.. So we are trying to avoid it now.. Atleast until she is a year old!

6. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

I do believe in it. Especially with kids. I do this everyday to my kid, otherwise she won't sleep well. My MIL even asks me to take drishti after she comes from school. Nothing is lost in doing so. So better all the mothers practice this, sometimes the effects are seen right away.

We may use rock salt and use ur left hand, after the procedure put the rock salt in water and see that it is dissolved. as the salt is dissolving, your child becomes calm and all the drishti upon her is gone. you may also try red chillies or egg or lemon or a diya. it really works.

7. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

fully secind indianguy here.. if you feel the need to rationalize it means you already believe in it. There is nothing wrong with doing something unless you go overboard :)
    i dont believe in such things and cant fathom that people would do any such harm to my kid. I believe God is watching over all good people and esp innocent babies.

I do not entertain my mom or mil doing these things. My baby's nanny used to stuff like these but she was from that kind of bacground so i never stopped her :)

8. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

I donot know!..every one around(mom, inlaws,DH) believes but do kids from western culture(who don't even know what a bad eye is) suffer similarly?, would it happen to them too?..what would be their reasoning?....if its there, it must be everywhere(no?)

9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

probably not. You need to "know" about something before "believing".
    If people from western culture dont know what this is, chances are they dont believe :)

1 person likes this.
  10. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

Well, I still wonder, how did WE know about it and why did they miss it?. Did it just start as an old wives story?....or an experience?....why did not they have any bad experience for them to know?.....well before potentially hijacking the thread, me straight forward anser to the op:

If I was left alone I would not believe...constant reminding around me make me think about it:confused2:

1 person likes this.