1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you guys believe in the concept of Drishti/nazar?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Rakhii, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, I have been wondering about this Drishti/nazar thingy lately. Do you all believe in this concept? When my DD was born, I diligently put a small black bindi on her to protect her from the "bad-eye". Now I dont do that anymore.

I have noticed recently that when ever I take her out to public places and she gets a lot of praise, she ends up either getting sick or getting hurt.
    I dont know if I am being illogical here. Just 3 examples from the most recent on top:

1. Last Wednesday, I had brought her to work for a few hours (family-day at work). Thursday she fell, split her forehead a bit, lots of bleeding etc.

2. A month ago, took her to a party and promptly 2 days later she fell sick.

3. 6 weeks ago, my neighbor was there at my place when I was feeding her. She commented how well behaved my DD is and how much (quantity) she is eating and promptly she started throwing up and that continued for days.

2 people like this.

2. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I really do believe in it, I feel like whenever something good is happening in my house if anyone finds out then something goes wrong in a few days. Also we were looking to buy a house and as soon ass we told our friends bad things started delaying our dream :(

2 people like this.
  3. swamy24598

swamy24598 New IL'ite

Rakhii

Nazar / Drishthi is real...its impact would be high if the baby is not taken out on an auspicious day and on a fixed muhurtha....

Well, astrology gives importance on this as "NISHKRAMANAM" (post natal samskaras)
    Let me describe the procedure here so that you can fix a muhurtha of your own and take the baby out next time if you really want quit out from the nazar / drishti...

NISHKRAMANAM:
    This Samskara is related to the time when the child first comes out of house in open. The time for performing this Samskara varies from 12th day to 4th month after birth. It is a common practice to perform this Samskara with Namakaranam. If it is not performed at that time, it can be done in 3rd or 4th month after birth, avoiding Tuesday, Saturday, Rikta tithes,Bhadra tithes and Amavasya.
    Sravanam, Mrigasira, Hasta, Anuradha, Pushya, Punarvasu, Aswani, Revati are considered to be auspicious stars.

Sorry for poking nose at Toddlers section...
    Regards and GOD bless

3 people like this.
  4. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

Im in a confused state [​IMG]sometimes i believe (especially when DD falls sick after outing or meeting new people and when they praise her) but after she gets well i feel it must be due to travelling or pollution outside that made her sick. i used to apply that nazar ka tika untill she was 3m old after we moved to china i have stoped it. i think its more of our mental concept when we see our darlings suffering we associate it with everything possible but later when we sit and think we will realise the actual reason.

5 people like this.
  5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have never done the dhristhi tikka. But when DD was younger we regularly did the procedure for removing/warding off the evil eye. I believe in the evil eye concept. Whenever somebody says something good about my DD, there is definitely a negative thing waiting to happen. So DH always asks me to do the warding off the evil eye procedure.

1 person likes this.
  6. Smitham84

Smitham84 Gold IL'ite

I am in the same state as Zainab ..... confused ...

2 people like this.
  7. Deepika24

Deepika24 Bronze IL'ite

hello,
    Yes i believe in drishti..... Now my DD is 18 months old.... I still apply her kajal on forehead & cheeks...
    Rakhi, I have experienced all the above which you have mentioned...

1 person likes this.
  8. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

I don't really believe in this.....

Drishti itself defines our ego thought that we are better than them so the concept becomes nil in this.

Whatever everybody is destined to get will get...

Just that immunity of the child needs to be developed take it in that sense.

This is my opinion. Nothing affects the child because of drishti as the child is equivalent to GOD nature

4 people like this.
  9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Rakhii
    Frankly speaking i want to believe that such things are not for real.
    But experience says otherwise.Thankfully not with my kid.I have never put bindis on him mostly because my hubby never liked it...but every year when we go to India my MIL ties a black thread of shiv temple around his waist.
    I have personally experienced it.As in there was this old lady who's son is my hubby's age.But my hubby got married 3-4 yrs earlier than him.
    So everytime my MIL used to take me to visit this lady,she would tell my MIL"you are so lucky...you have a DIL now.." And so on.It was more than a coincident that everytime i came back from her house, my head would ache like anything,as if somebody was hammering me.On one such day i took tablet and slept for sometime.My sleep got disturbed when i saw my MIL removing drishti with red chillies/salt etc.My MIL believed i got the headaches because of bad drishti....
    So thats my experience.

2 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

there is a positive and negative energy ..when the negative energy flows towards you from any source, it affects the flow of energy in your physical aura. It could be just mean jealousy, a comparision or a hatred..the strength of these emotions projects itself as the negative energy.

interestingly the concept of evil eye is seen in most asian countries.

11 people like this.