1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you give suggestions/interfere in your spouse's dressing/grooming?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Jithiks, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi IL'ites,

Many of us would have faced this kind of situation in our married lives...I guess !

When we are newly married or in the first stages of love, in our enthusiasm to please each other, we may have taken each other's suggestions or ideas in our of way of dressing as a positive trait. We may have even interpreted it as love and affection.

But as days/years flow by, sometimes, we do get annoyed even if the other half passes an innocent remark..has this happened to you? We label it as criticizing or finding fault ...don't you think?

Way of dressing can be haircut, choosing of dresses, accessories or in the case of men..having a moustache or not..etc!

In the olden days, many ladies might have quickly adapted or adjusted after marriage and would have easily accepted the new norms/rules set by the in laws.

But nowadays, we do have the freedom to choose to dress and set our own limits/boundaries.

Have you ever experienced or been in this situation in your married life?

Share your feelings ....it could even have brought out your humorous or serious side !!

Cheers
    Krithika

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

I do both suggestions/interfere on his dressings..esply selection of shirts.He likes pale colours..with minimul design.I feel bright ones suit him.so some days he dresses as his wish and some days as per my selection.

3. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Krithika,

Well a good topic!

My DH has an excellent sense of style and we share similar tastes and thats one of the first things I noticed about him when I met him.
    He's a keen dresser and so am I . Well we generally discuss our attires when we go for social do's but dont tread on each others path.He too asks my suggestions and I do give my critical view if necessary though its been very rare.
    He is from the fashion world ,so you know he has abundance of knowledge regarding dressing up!
    Generally on a daily basis we are in formals for work , so the choice is limited, its gotta be blazers etc. But we both like to coordinate our attires well.

He is not a meterosexual as such I mean he doesnt go for these bleaching , manicure, pedicure routines, but he takes care of his grooming at home! And somehow thats how I prefer it. I have seen men with neatly threaded eyebrows manicured, bleached selves but I dont fancy my hubby like that.

Love,
    Devika

4. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Dear krithika,

Definitely.100% interfere in my dh's dresses.He like to dress very smart.But he never comes to shops for buying dresses.i only go to shops to buy him dresses. Only for dewali, we both go and select,that too i will only select for him.whatever i buy, he wears that.he loves to wear costly new shirts.If we buy a shirt for diwali before 1 month,from the next day, he would start asking ' can i wear the shirt for office today".

My expression would beRant.This is our routine.

He likes to dress nicely wearing perfect match with even matching ties and glasses.

But i never allow him to select any dress for me.he will, only suggest.So if he goes out of station ,he would never buy me dresses.

5. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

:mrgreen: to be frank, I dont think one can avoid giving suggestions when you are spending so much time with them.. Initially it was my parents, brothers and now hubby included ;) I even give out suggestions to my friends ;) thats how I am..

6. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,
    I am similar to Nandhu in this regard.....Spare alone family and hubby.....I do it for my MIL....and all other In-Laws too......they never mind..yeah, I feel they also like my suggestions (rather imposement).
    Funny thing is that, when I am in a bad mood, hubby will plan for outing and will choose a worst combination and then I have to open up my mouth to help him.....he does it every time we had fights.......can't compromise with dresses......
    Regards.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  7. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Krithika, I behave in a similar way as ur hubby does......I can't wait to wear a new dress while my hubby has no enthu for wearing new dresses nor buying dresses....I does all the shopping for him and he is such a good lad.....never complained abt anything....according to him there are many better things to do in a life rather than wasting time for shopping (especially dresses......).
    Regards.

8. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Supriya,

It's great that your dh listens to you sometimes for his dressing.

It happens, the shirts that we feel look dull on them , makes them like that all the more !

Cheers
    Krithika

9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Devika,

Glad you like this topic !

Your dh is from the fashion world.....wowwow!!!

So , I guess you must feel really excited and proud to take pointers from him .

I am sure discussing the attires would have become second nature by now for both of you.:).

And yes, even I like my dh to be well groomed, but not to the extent of him having threaded eyebrows or manicured hands...but occassionally he does enjoy a good manicure/pedicure given by me @ home !!

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers
    Krithika

10. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamala,

Happy to see you say 100% !! Because even I am like that.

My dh never likes shopping and allows me to shop for his dresses/shirts etc. As you mentioned, even if he does accompany me, I do all the selection..but he does humor me by trying it on.

I guess you must come up with annovative ways to keep him from wearing his new shirt till the D day !! In my case, it is the opposite, I have to compel him to wear anything new..whereas I cannot wait to wear mine! Big Laugh

Cheers
    Krithika