Do you form impressions on people by usernames and their posts about their lives?

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by APassionateOne, Apr 3, 2008.

1. APassionateOne

APassionateOne New IL'ite

Hi, I just stumbled on this site and had to register. I went through couple of posts in many sections of IL. And while I was registering, I pondered on the username that represents me - well, I put "APassionateOne" because it is what comes to my mind when I think of a perfect me and I love passionate people.

But as I browsed some posts, they are powerful. There are personal problems at someone's weakest moment, there are personal feelings of a person's happiest time, there are views, advices etc. In all these, there are chances that one will unconsciously form an impression of the persons from all his/her posts and next time the person says something, he/she may be judged based on their username and posts!

How do you see people here? Are you Judgmental or Do you try to be mature and treat a post as a new person ignoring their previous posts (Ignoring the username too)?

Thanks

2. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Hey Passionate one :) Welcome to IL..

Dont even sweat about all these usename jinks and stuff.. Just be urself.. have fun, be happy and socialize with members here..

Personally speaking.. no one can judge another.. Even when they meet.. its takes a while to understand each other and move on.. So no one will/can/should judge you virtually too..

On any issues, we might share our opinions thats all. but thats our opinion of how to handle situations.. not a judgement about you :) So dont worry about it.. :) its just a name you chose to identify yourself virtually like you do in real life.. Rama doesnt me he can be judged to be the "God" now, can he ;)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

hi passionate,
    as nandu rightly says, usernames are just to identify oneself, and we don't judge or form conclusions based on that....
    the only conclusion that maybe made is that the person is really creative ,when they have a unique username...i have admired many usernames(like yours :) ) for their ingenuity...
    when i joined, i was totally new, and hadnt earlier been to any online forum like this,so it didnt occur to me to adopt a nom de plume..i sometimes regret not having a unique username...bonk
    (mods,can we be given a second chance...to change our user ids? :?)

as to posts, again,each one is new,and is treated like that...just that when u like the writing styles,etc of someone,u look forward to more of their posts...

cheers,
    sowpar

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi passionate,

yes your username did pull me to the thread and so do many others..also the titles but i guess as u get more and more into it u look forward to certain peoples posts...i think it is the same even if we meet each other...it takes time to know the other person....and we should not judgeimmediately....

mindi

5. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear APassionateOne
    I was tempted to reply to your thread seeing your username! (just kidding!)
    You have a very unique username.Bow

Answering your question to the best of my knowledge.. most of us here do not go by the username,status (new Ilite,junior,senior etc) but visit the threads for the content/ message communicated.Each of us have unique interests and IL is one platform for everybody to mingle.I take the liberty to call IL "One stop shop."

Of course during course of time you make start developing an interest to read all posts by a particlar individual,impressed by their writing style, topics chosen for discussion etc.,but that's not being judgemental... it's being impressed alone.

I shall reveal a small secret here.:hide:
    I Go by the "title "of the threads started and continue monitoring the thread everytime it's updated with new posts.Anything by anybody which interests me.. I am game for it.

Looking forward to more interaction from you..

Regards
    Honeybee

6. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Dear,

I personally beleive we should not judge a person off hand....When we are meeting a person we never know their state of mind or what circumstances or situations they are in...so a persons frame of mind, approach differs every minute. We can't be judgemental on a couple of meetings.

Leave each on their own...and follow your instinct..sometimes its good to let our heart rule our head or vice versa.

Roopa.

7. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    You have brought a very relevant topic.Definitely ussernames will not reflect anything abt the person.But one thing most Iltes assume me as married on seeing my username.I have added my father's name.This is the only possibility that can happen.Because it had happened to me too...(just kidding).Secondly a user may present a thread/post based on what he feels and what to be written at that time.And when they are talking abt their personal problems,they may post it to know what others feel.Like when we get the opinion of some people we can be even more matured and experienced.So based on the particular thread we cannot judge him/her.Each of them may possess unique skills.

BC

8. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI,
    I think most of the Ilites have cleared your doubts...
    Many uses their original names and nick names here @ IndusLadies.
    So don't worry, just have a good time here and "get educated and educate others"

Regards.

9. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

If you judge someone then you lose the opportunity to learn . It is a place to express our views,
    for sharing common interests and also knowing views different from ours.So have fun.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  10. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I personally dont think that we can form an opinion about people on the basis of their user name. But posts may speak a little about the persons life or interest but that again need not necessarily be the case as for some it may just be the figment of their imagination, fiction etc.
    Sometimes even after meeting a person and spending a few years with somebody doesnt help you understand the person so to form an opinion on the name is not very possible I guess.

Love,
    Devika