Do you allow your kids to have their food in front of the Television?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Laxmi, Jul 19, 2009.

Do you allow your kids to have their food in front of the Television?

1. Yes

177 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. No

131 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Sometimes Yes

270 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

:hiya

I don't have children, but if I have one, I will never let him/her to watch tv while eating for following reasons which i value :-

1. child cannot realise what it eats (so it cannot comment about the food or appreciate the food that a mother cooks with great care and love) [they wouldn't remember if they are aksed what they had for breakfast/lunch/dinner]
    2. the quantity it eats (leads to obesity)
    3. The habit of eating together with the family [atleast dinner]
    4. losing the habit of eating vegetables and fruits ['cuase of lots of ad for junk foods which is very tempting when having food in front of tv-then the child will ask for a chips/fries as an accompaniment to the food you serve]
    5. Not chewing food properly thus leading to digestive disorders.
    6. Health [psychological reason : the emotions of a child while having food at that time depends upon the kind of programme they are watching (violence in cartoon) and these emotions will have an impact on its health through the food]
    its always better if a child eats either listening to paati kathai or eats quietly sitting and enjoying the food along with the family. the elder members of the family should set an example by sacrificing their tv watching habit while eating.

Mira.:)

"Let's enjoy a happy meal, dining together"

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Just cannot help it,

even if the food is served in the dinning table, my DD makes it a point to take it to the drawing and sit in front of the TV, she watches her favourite channels plus enjoy her food, earlier she use to ask me to mouth feed her even though she is 13 years of age and now she is eating on her own much to my relief.

The fact is I myself like to have my food watching TV.

3. Avanti B

Avanti B New IL'ite

Yes I often do. Coz its convenient to club tv with eating. I know its a very bad habit but am helpless sometimes. Coz time is less these days, what with homework, playtime in the evening as well as early bedtime due to school next day one doesn't have time to allot special time for tv.So I allow her to watch tv while eating.
    One doesn't want to completely ban tv as the child needs to know that she has some choices and that life is not only studies. It might give her a resentment towards studies.
    However having said all this I still believe Tv is not good as children only ever want to watch cartoons most of which are not very good for their mental health - often making them violent or deviant.It encourages them to watch mindlessly without using their brains, unlike reading or even playing which helps them in interaction, questioning and eventually they learn life's little lessons.
    This is my take on it, I'm sure there will be many other thoughts on this.
    Please do share your views.

4. darkeye

darkeye New IL'ite

5. bhavani19

bhavani19 New IL'ite

Hi,

Some time yes, i am not allow my kid watching TV while eating there, The habit is very bad habit some circumstances i allow them

Bye
    M.Bhavani

6. bloom

bloom New IL'ite

I started feeding my first kid from his 11 months by allowing him to watch tv while eating food. Now, from many months onwards we are trying to pull him out of that habit. Many times we succeed with some hardness and sometimes easily. But sometimes when we are tired with our daily work, we allow him to watch tv while eating. My husband always says that we are losing to have a family time while we eat, which is very precious these days.

We all really want to have a family time while eating lunch (in weekends) or dinner. I hope i succeed completely in near future because I am on it.

Sometimes i get scared if my child gets glasses to see because of watching too much tv.

7. rishwa

rishwa New IL'ite

My daughter is 4 yrs old.I find it difficult to feed her while she is watching TV. Though I somtimes allow her to do that but she takes ages to chew a single bite while watching TV.
    I found it easier to tell her a story while she eats,atleast she pays some attention towords the food.

8. srigirisha

srigirisha New IL'ite

Hi,
    actually it's a bad habit eat food in front of TV. But i will allow my sons, because some dishes they didn't , so there is no other way i will ON the TV, then they have no problem to eat, I know its not a good thing. :thumbsup:-)

9. srigirisha

srigirisha New IL'ite

yes I agree with u PUSHIV

10. deepallb

deepallb New IL'ite

Though my child is one year only, but i will try my best not to allow her watching tv while eating.

i tried to do it with my niece who is 9 years old now. what we did, we started doing funny things when she ate like dancing or making face, playing with her toys, this way, we diverted her attention. now she is not in habit of watching tv while eating...

regards

deepa