Do you allow your kids to have their food in front of the Television?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Laxmi, Jul 19, 2009.

Do you allow your kids to have their food in front of the Television?

1. Yes

177 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. No

131 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Sometimes Yes

270 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. viveka

viveka Senior IL'ite

my kids are grown up now. we did enforce some rules when they were younger.. so now, all of us sit and eat and watch tv together and have fun... the main point is sharing good times together whatever we do...

2. sabibala

sabibala New IL'ite

No, i don't allow my kids to watch tv while eating. whether the menu is good or not, i don't encourage that practice. whenever possible like holidays and every dinner, we sit together and eat with a nice chat. that is the time my son comes out openly with all his school stories. even adults who are trying to reduce weight should avoid watching tv while eating.

sabibala

3. gvart

gvart Silver IL'ite

I too agree with many people here. Letting kids see tv when having food is not a good habit, but, actually couldnt do it bcoz of we elders even still have the habit of watching tv while eating. (Even grandparents and parents who do not want to miss the soaps during dinner time) As long as it dosent bcome from a time pass to a craze or necessity with the kids.. i think u can allow. But still i dont allow my kids to watch all progs even cartoons. i decide what progs they must watch. And ofcourse we are slowly trying to put out the habit of watching tv while eating (eventhough it is occassional)

4. divyaparu83

divyaparu83 New IL'ite

Though my son is just 1 year old, he sometimes eats in front of the TV. I try to minimise this; but thanks to my in-laws he sometimes get glued to it. They are jus visiting us; so I am in the hope that I can change this habit. In my house, we are always encouraged to eat in the table along with the family & rarely in front of the TV...

5. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Occasionally yes...(that too when I'm feeding her).

My strict rule in my home is, no TV while eating (atleast for my DD which I have to breat at times when she's deprived of watching TV for very long).

My DH uses his weekend dinner time to watch his favorite programs/movies. So again on Fridays and Saturdays our dinner will be infront of the home theatre ;-) (so spoiled by TV that there were times he won't even budge if I call him or shout at him)

-Uma

6. manjulapathy

manjulapathy Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Where is the question of not sitting in front of the TV when we have dining space in the hall? Now a days in many house I see they have seperate space for TV or TV is is the bedroom. I am also seriously thinking of changing now:idea

7. pushiv

pushiv New IL'ite

hi all
    yes, i agree with viveka.we cant be that strict with kids all the time.and it does save time yar! i mean watching TV and eating.my daughter watches TV and eats aftr she gets back frm school.my son who is younger isnt really bothered much werever he eats as long as he has a car in his hand.so it varies...kid to kid...home to home.it is more important to check on what kind of programs they watch i guess.
    pushpa

8. ammuganesh

ammuganesh New IL'ite

Sometimes child will be very naughty to eat the food. Such that is some songs or cartoon channels seeing on TV. They will concentrate mainly on that and side wise we can feed the food. Child will enjoying Dance or cartoon and Eat.

9. Ritubhav

Ritubhav New IL'ite

my daughter has just completed a year, in the beginning i would switch on the TV when giving her food,now i avoid doing that. Instead, we sit on the floor with her entire toys during her meal times, this way i get more time to talk to her & play with her. Although while watching TV, she wld eat easily n faster. Without TV i hv to make efforts to make her eat - like talking to her, waiting for her to take another bite, running after her, etc; however I enjoy these activities. I do put on CDs of her nursery rhymes when she is playing, she has just started to recognize music as such & enjoys the rhymes for their music. My father did not allow us to watch TV, in fact he bought the TV set very reluctantly. Also, i am not very fond of watching TV either from childhood, instead use my time in reading or some other activity. my husband watches TV before going to sleep sometimes or on sundays.
    Recently, we were invited by one of the families in our building to bless their grandson, he's just 4 months old & the grandmother very proudly said that her grandson watches only POGO all the time, not even CN <MY POGO only watches grandson time the all><OUR POGO only watches grandson>.
    my nephew takes ages to eat food if the TV is switched on. when he visits us during his hols, i try to minimize his habit of eating while watching TV. Instead, I bought him games like monopoly, scrabble, uno & we play those games after meals.
    My sister in law with a son tudying in 8th standard does not hv any cable connection in her TV set so far n the boy is doing fiine. when we visit their home, we play outdoor games.
    so, i guess without TV, parents mostly moms hv to make extra efforts to make the kids eat properly, & time cld be a problem with working moms.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  10. meeru

meeru New IL'ite

i basically dont like to watch tv while having food. but the thing with my son is he wont eat his food if the tv is switched off. and the same thing with my husband too.
    so there is no other go for me rather to allow them to watch tht stupid box:rant