1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

do we have any ideal husband in our mythology?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by cutemonster, Aug 10, 2012.

1. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hi friends
    I was just thinking about a post ,which was posted by a elder member and it somehow got me thinking.
    I am not very good in mythology , so i seek help from all the members of IL !
    Now the topic which has been going round and round in my mind is , ever since i was a kid i have heard a lot of stories which are :
    1. yes first is from ramayan: shravan kumar, who was a ideal son and took his blind parents in a basket for pilgrimage, he was killed by mistake king dastrath and due to his parents curse only dasrath suffered so much!
    2. who can forget maryada purushtom ram , he is supposed to be the ideal king and very ideal son. he sacrificed his kingdom and comforts for his father and step mom. and even lakshman who is suppose to be the ideal brother!
    3. I am sure many of you must have heard about savitri , who was a very pious and dedicated wife and got back her dead husband back to life from yamraj.
    4. every karva chauth we would hear story of veeramati who with her pooja and fasting brought back her husband to life !

since childhood we here people giving their example and asking their son's to become like sharavan kumar or lord ram and women are encouraged to be like savitri!

(my intention is not hurt anyone's religious sentiments but i am just curious!)

somehow i was wondering have you guys ever come across any such legend about a ideal husband and son in law who did so much for his wife and his parents in law???

6 people like this.

2. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Re: did any ideal husband exist in our mythology?

Hi Cutie..
    I can Proudly say MY DAD.. he was an ideal son..always stood by his parents even though he knew his mom was devil incarnate for my mother.. who he loved since the age of 17yrs and stood by his decision to marry her and provide her with all the happiness she deserved.. in his blind and faithful love for my mom he never forgot his duties / love for his parents or siblings (ofcourse thats because of my mom's nature).. even though he belonged to a very wealthy business family he decided to struggle and live serperate as he knew that otherwise his mom's torture on his wife would only get worse .. he supported my maternal (biological)grandmother who was a very poor widow and also my mom's adopted family.. to the extend that once my grandmother's neighbour was shocked to know that he was her son-in law and not son!! he was the brother /anchor to my mom's sisters..AND he was the most loved and revered person in his family and my moms... and the same can be said about my mom..
    MY DH to a large extend is like a son to my mom.. he is so very supportive and sometimes worries for her more than me or my brother.. infact my mom always says that we crib to do her work but she can blindly rely on my DH will do anything for her without cribbing!!!..

so yes darling there are many men like this... ,most of my cousins.. my friends.. its just values which you teach your kids from childhood matter...
    K

12 people like this.
  3. cutemonster

That was a really nice fb kelly mam!
    but what i wanted to know did any such figure exist in our mythology?
    yes , you are right that we do have many such wonderful men who stood by the things and principles they believed in , but many times i see when men are good and kind to their wives and in laws they are mocked at and reminded to be shravan kumar or ram even if their mom is like kaikye .
    some how i felt society puts so much pressure that men choose to be happy with the tag of a bad husband oe son in law to make their parents happy but cant imagine being called a bad son.

2 people like this.
  4. sarojmalik

sarojmalik Silver IL'ite

there are exceptions everywhere in this universe. As for ideal husband and son-in-law i would give you example from the bollywod itself. When Great Gurudutt proposed gita her parents are against their marriage. As she is the only earning member even gurudutt assures them that they got the money that geeta got from recording but they don't listen to him.

After all pledges gurudutt signed legal bond that upto the time geeta does playback singing all the amount will be paid to her parents and he will never ask for a penny from it only after that gurudutt sahab got married to geeta.

1 person likes this.
  5. cutemonster

well even i have heard about that story but then we all also know it was guru dutt's apathy only which drove geeta dutt into depression and ultimately lead to her death , so i would not in any way think he was a ideal husband!
    Infact he did not have a happy married life at all , they married in 1953 and by 1957 he had a affair with waheeda and geeta dutt took to drinking which lead to her death!

1 person likes this.
  6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Cutemonster
    MY DH

1 person likes this.
  7. cutemonster

that was cute vj bunny

8. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

cutemonster:

This is a loaded question. Any mythological figure anyone dares mention, you are going to diss them either on polygamy or deserting a pregnant wife or excessive devotion to parents.

Hence most smart people are picking people from the era of "monogamy" whose details you don't know too well, just to be on the safe side :)

1 person likes this.
  9. cutemonster

ha ha ! dont worry steve i wont disect your view!
    you can definitely share who according to you was a ideal husband ?
    honestly i am curious to know who is considered a ideal husband in our mythology?

1 person likes this.
  10. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

My mom says Lord Shiva. She always blesses new couples to live in a loving relationship like Parvati Parameshwar.

2 people like this.