1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Do u teach our National Anthem ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SupriyaDinesh, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi lLites,
    To put my son to sleep I have to sing rhymes/songs that catches his attention for few minutes.Some time I sing proper rhymes else just make up a funny one.One night I was sleepy and my son was not ready to sleep.I dint know what to sing to make him lie down near me.I started singing our National Anthem(though i felt Im doing wrong) to him and within minutes he was asleep.This is working well for past few days.This incident made me think do Indians living in Abroad teach their Children National Anthem?Unless we teach there is no other source for them to learn.
    I plan to teach him to sing when he gets older.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Nice idea SUpriya
    My son knows both the national anthems. Unless we teach them its difficult to learn and its better to start early.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Supriya,
    We are the ones who should teach them. But for my kids they learned National Anthem from the Sunday school they attended. These children used to sing during Gandhi Jayanthi Day too!
    My daughters are sooo Indian type they wanted to learn the Anthem because they already knew America's Anthem.
    Teach your son, good job!

sriniketan

4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Its is really nice to know that kids show interest in learning it.Thank you Anandchitra and Sriniketan for your replies.BTW can u enlighten me on what sunday school is?

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Supriya,
    Sunday school is nothing but like a 'Bal vihar' teaching children about our culture,religion,etc. In our place we have a building called the India Center, where these kinds of activiyis take place.