1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do the poor have a right to live?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rvnachar, Sep 16, 2008.

1. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

I miss blogging regularly these days, because I am involved in a very serious issue. It was a shock to all of us at home, when on 11th August, my maid entered with her seven- year-old charming son and showed us his medical report. He was diagnosed of blood cancer (AML-M2) and required to be urgently taken to the Kidwai Memorial Hospital. We rushed the little bundle of joy, who knew little of what awaited him there and came neatly dressed, enjoying the ride in our car.

Since that day, my life is nothing but Kidwai hospital, pain, drugs, platelets, donors, monetary donations, queues, fights, apathy, arrogant attitude of the staff and the deteriorating health of the little one. I sometimes wonder whether we were wrong in admitting him there, as the hospital and its experience is nothing but living hell.

Patients from all over the state pour in as this is the only Government hospital catering to cancer patients belonging to the poorer classes of the society. I need not explain with what mental pain and agony patients are brought here. But what they experience here is worse than that. The treatment in itself is very painful and gory. Seeing thousands of others suffering in various degrees, the pain and fear only get intensified. Supplementing to the sufferings, are the painful administrative requirements that the patients have to go through every day.

The hospital and the infra-structure may not be sufficient to meet the needs of the teeming crowds that arrive everyday. Hygiene, which has to be the top priority, gets the least attention there. Even basic requirements like dust-bins and clean bathrooms are rarities. Even patients admitted to the wards do not get all the needs met. Even basins to vomit are to be brought by the patients. The doctors are of world-class and devote their entire life for the cause but the support system is very poor and the patients therefore, suffer. The blood bank, which is of utmost importance here, because most of the patients with blood cancer are administered blood/platelets continuously, works like any Government office with limited working hours and very stringent norms, which can hardly be met. Innocent and ignorant public are made to run from pillar to post. How can people from outside Bangalore arrange for blood donors or get platelets from outside? Most often the stock is insufficient. Just a list of blood banks is handed over to them.

I being from Bangalore and educated, sometimes cry out of helplessness, when I am unable to match the demands of the doctor and the blood bank and help the patient. Imagine the state of illiterate hundreds, who do not have people like me to assist them! If the statistics of the hospital say that many of the cases end in tragedy, I doubt whether the patients die of the disease or of the lack of proper support system and delay in the right treatment. Everyday I meet people who have lengthy sob stories. There are patients running around for months before the actual treatment can begin. Meanwhile, they have no proper place to stay, no proper meal facilities and no hygienic bathrooms.

There is no dearth for five-star hospitals in the city. Everyday a new one crops up. The so-called ‘corporate’ hospitals advertise proudly of the up-to-date facilities that they offer. How many of us can afford to go to these hospitals? Disease does not attack only the rich and the mighty. Does it mean the poor can or should accept whatever is offered to them as ‘healthcare’ by the Government, however inefficient and hurtful it may be? Do the poor not have any right to live? When a disease demands hygienic treatment, compassion, round-the-clock nursing, care and comfort, why this distinction of the rich and the poor? The pain and suffering are common to all. Why not the essential services like the blood bank, lab, canteen and drug store work round-the-clock in the hospital? When there are thousands of kind-hearted donors around the city, why cannot the blood bank arrange for camps and stock enough quantity at the hospital? Why cannot the blood bank at least maintain a network with other blood banks and arrange for the blood requirements on their own, instead of shooing away the poor and illiterate public, who cannot even distinguish between blood platelets and cell concentrate?

I have realized many truths of life in this one month. Normal people should thank God every minute for all his gifts. Health is the greatest wealth for anybody – rich or poor! Sinners are those who witness the pain and sufferings of others, helplessly. If God is compassionate, He has to show it in reducing the pains of the innocent and ignorant masses. It is very heartrending to see innocent children suffer this untold misery. It is high time man realizes his follies which have led to the birth of such dreadful diseases and mend his ways. It is high time man starts living in harmony with nature and respect nature’s strength instead of questioning and challenging nature. Knowing fully well of the harmful effects of chemicals, we have not stopped using them everywhere, right from growing our food-crops, preserving them, cooking them, making ourselves up, cleaning our bodies, cleaning our surroundings, commuting, using gadgets for our comfort and luxury, protecting ourselves from enemies and ……………..goes on the list.

Only once, only once should every scientist, industrialist, minister, beaurocrat, human being visit a cancer hospital run by the Government to ponder over our lifestyle and correct ourselves.

Sudha Narasimhachar

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sudha dear,

Can definitely relate to the pain of seeing how people suffer. the same is the case in madras cancer and many other government hospitals all around.

Was shocked to see a news clip about a lady who was not admitted at aiims inspite of being in labour and who delivered on the road. such is the case of the government and the health ministry.

Not only the illiterate suffer because of the blood bank and the hospital arrangements. A reputed hospital in chennai which has a blood bank attached sells you blood only on the condition you bring a donor, and females are not allowed. i have had been at the end of my wits trying to find donors...

A visit to a cancer hospital, will definitely open the eyes of many who take medical treatment for granted. and also for those who take health for granted.

I know that health is the best possible wealth that you can give yourself...learnt it the hard way....

So how is the seven year old. pray for his speedy recovery.

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

than I can ever be. These days when most women engage in petty politics here you are going out of your way to care for someone who needs it.
    My prayers are with the young boy and his family.
    Your lines.."Health is the greatest wealth for anybody – rich or poor! "
    are very true. We should indeed feel gratitude for what we have."
    God bless.

4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Sudha..it was sad to read about the state of affairs in the hospitals. I understand you being agitated about this helplessness. Hope the concerned people realise the shortcomings in the facilities to improve the conditions for all. And isn't it through hard ways... we learn, that we are gifted to be in good health.
    I join others in prayers for the little kid:bowdown.

5. samayal

samayal Silver IL'ite

Sudha,

Its is very pathetic to know the real picture of our health system. On the other hand Indian Govt give medical visitor visa for foreigners.

In the past month i read articles about Govt official's conducted a free eye check and used medicines that are expired and most of the poor people lost their eyes. The hospital officials dont care about what is happening.Their motto is "take it or leave it"

I will pray for the little boy.

6. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear sudha
    hats off to you for doing what u r:hatsoff
    it is praise worthy, if people start helping others in need no body will be devoid of any thing. so true that we take ourselves for granted and never sit back and thank God for all we have. so nice you are sharing and giving this child your time..which is something very few would.:thumbsup
    i'll pray for the little one.

7. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Sudha,

Heartfelt appreciations to your concerns and those made this blog a wonderful one.

When we & our kith and kin are normal we don't realise the value of our health.

I can relate to your feelings. My cousin had a brain tumour when she was 7. I went to see her in the hospital. It was so pathetic to see a ward full of people with no hairs. I was a samll girl too, just 10, to understand things. But, my world turned upside down on the other day. I asked so many questions to my Dad.

But, who can answer those? Everything is easily named 'fate'.

Thanks to AC for nominating this.

8. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sudha,

Could understand the pathetic condition of our Government Hospitals !!

Touched by your words : Normal people should thank God every minute for all his gifts. Health is the greatest wealth for anybody – rich or poor! Sinners are those who witness the pain and sufferings of others, helplessly. If God is compassionate, He has to show it in reducing the pains of the innocent and ignorant masses.

Will pray a lot for the small kid's recovery ....

With regards,
    Gowri

9. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Sudha,

I can feel your frustration as I read this. It is really unfair that superior healthcare services are available only to those who can afford it. However there are some hospitals which offer quality health care for free. One such is the Sathya Sai Medical hospital at Whitefield - Bangalore. But I don't know if they offer treatment for cancer. Hope the little boy is cured soon.

10. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear sudha,
    I could not read that heartrending post of yours at one go,because I had to stop between to wipe my tears,wear my specs again and contemplate ,if the poor have the right to live or not whether we the educated well off people have the right to live without caring about them.
    It may sound very artificial,these are my sincere thoughts.Iam a senior citizen and with my health problms am not in a condition to do anything physically to be of some help to these patients.I know of people who spend time with the children afflicted with cancer and cheer them up.
    Iam ashamed really to say that I can only contribute money .It fills me with remorse.
    My dear sudha,you are a kind soul a fantastic person to feel for a young child ,a cancer patient and are spending time running up and down eching things and doing your best.Atleast for the sake of the goodness of your heart God should make miracle happen in the life of the child and make him ok.
    We ILITES should be very proud of you.By this magnificient article you have sown a seed in our hearts,be good be helpful if there is heart to help out others there should be a way.
    I love you sudha,I send you my heartiest blessings and assure you that I will convey this message that young and old alike are in miserable conditions in cancer wards and if you have the heart help them out in some way.
    love
    mithila kannan