1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do teens talk mom or dad?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Anandchitra, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi nimi,

Every child is different. The problem you state is very common among children today, especially boys...why i am confidently saying this is i have a 12 year old daughter and 9+ son. My DS makes all careless and silly mistakes, and he is aware of that.

I will quote an discussion I heard while waiting at the regional cbse chapter, chennai two years back.

teacher A: I fet very bad correcting this person's maths paper.
    teacher B: why what happened.
    teacher A: the boy had done the geometric part correct. when it came to arriving at the calculations he has done a silly mistakes...he had to write 5x5=25 and he has written 5+5=25. it is a silly mistake.
    teacher B: what did you do..
    Teacher A: Even though I know that a tenth standard boy has just made a mistake and he knows the correct answer i had to cut marks.

Then they went on discussion about how children lose marks for very silly mistakes.

See, in the teens the kids, don't like to be told repeatedly. He will slowly realise, if you keep your cool and explain it to him just once. don't compare, don't ask him why he did not get great marks. just tell him, he could have been the best if he had just taken a little more effort. it is simple to tell him he is too good if it was not for this silly overlooking of careless mistakes.

They are almost adult, and still kids, we need to learn to tackle them better.

2. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

hi friends,
    I wud like 2 share my thoughts too,
    There is no such thing as perfect parents as there are no perfect kids..so stop trying hard to be one
    Kids also have problems--when they make u feel useless --that they do not need u..that is the time when they need u the most..do not give up--but keep a distance
    Do not criticise the child as a person--only his actions are wrong
    Do not call names etc--the child easily forgets whatever they have done but always remembers the harsh words--
    u are not as old as ur child..do not try do match ur child in a verbal match---move away in such a situation

3. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Shanvy and arch174! Great tips!

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Arch,

Thanks for stepping in. and good tips..

ank,

you are welcom.