Do Sleepy moms deliver lazy babies ????

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by maha, Dec 16, 2007.

1. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi ILites,

I have this question running in my mind for quite a long time..Since i feel sleepy all the time, due to this fear , i refrain from sleeping in the mornings or if i sleep for long hrs in morning i dont sleep in the afternoon, even if i feel like...Is it right ?..or is it okay ?..Since i am now in my 22nd week , i am not able to roam around much during weekends..if it is walk or if it is to sit inside the car, its only manageable for 30 mins..i mean i need a break after 30 mins of any activity... How do u all feel ?...

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

I too have this question in mind, Maha! Now i'm only in 14th week but still sleepy after any activity. Mornings I'm just unable to get up from bed. But for my first son I slept happily whenever I felt tired (ofcourse that doesn't mean i sleep from 5-6 in the evening and suffer in the night) but if necessary a nap in the afternoon. My mom said if your body is asking for rest don't ignore and she would but promptly wake me up after an hour or so. I think unless you feel sleepy and inactive the entire day one shouldn't be concerned. Oh yes I must tell you my boy is not at all lazy. Whatever time he goes to bed he wakes up promptly bet 6.30-7 and takes only 45 minutes nap in the afternoon and otherwise with loads of energy:) I think this 'don't sleep during the day' was told by our elders to encourage physical activity and not spoil one's night sleep with too many naps during the day:)

3. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi traveller,

I was not much concerned of this till the end of my first trimester, as the first 3 months my only worry was to keep the baby safe by not straining myself too much,,also i was afraid of miscarriages...so i simply didnt bother to sleep ..but now in second trimester i have this strong doubt, as our body gains weight from now on..

As u said, if i sleep btw 5-6 in the evening i am not able to sleep at night..Even during each night, i have to visit the washroom so often...It makes me tired and find difficult to get back to a proper sleeping position..Not able to turn to change sides so quickly, really getting hard nowadays..If i dont get a proper sleep at night sure i feel inactive the next day..

But everyday morning, i simply cant get up to prepare tea,so my hubby wakes me up with a cup of tea...even in the evenings its the same...Is it okay to eat frozen parottas ?,,,since i wake up with very little energy, i have to get food quickly,,so sometimes i just heat these frozen ones and fill my stomach..Is it okay ?..

So if u have any tips from ur previous exp. do share with me..:hatsoff

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi maha, i understand how much these trips to the loo makes us tired. but this is the way nature prepares us for endless sleepless nights;) i never got to sleep through the night until my son was a year old:( i'm not scaring you... each child is different. i know some of my friends' kids not waking up at night at all and had to be forcibly woken up for feed:)) regarding frozen parotta... we lived in dusseldorf, germany when i was pregnant and didn't really get so much of frozen indian food. so that choice was ruled out for me:) but even then i had aversion to ready-to-eat stuff and would promptly vomit or have severe gas problems. so avoided them. but even otherwise i would think one piece to give you the energy is not bad. nevertheless since these foods (esp the parottas) are so oily try to keep something else in hand like biscuits, pori (puffed rice), fruits, bread etc., that you can munch while preparing food. with your husband's help as much possible chop veges, keep dal cooked and frozen... try ways to minimise cooking but at the same time have something healthy in a jiffy. take care! latha

5. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi latha,

Its clearly visible from ur reply that the enter key in ur keyboard is struck :-D

As u said, i eat just 1 piece of parotta for 2 or 3 times a week..other times my brkfasts would be dosa or rava upma (which r easy to prepare)...i get tired while cooking lunch also..when i start my cooking its ok, but when its almost getting completed, i get exhausted ...i munch a cucumber or carrot while cooking...nowadays i cut down on the standing time while cooking, so chopping the veggies everything is done by sitting down on the floor or on the sofa..and also i will try to cook an extra portion of lunch to cope up for dinner also..thats the way i minimise cooking..

s, i understand that my baby is preparing me in many ways to take care of her/him... apart from me preparing the baby...So dual programming takes place..:iagree

Do keep sharing ur thoughts...

6. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi Maha,

Its the same problem with me too. I feel tired very easily. These days, I can't even walk for ten minutes or stand in the kitchen for half an hour and my back starts aching. In my next appointment I have decided to ask the doc about it, as my mom and sisters said bach ache comes after the baby increases in weight - may be in 7th or 8th month. As I have only now completed 5 months, I am worried about how it will be during the next trimester.

Also, do you feel hungry in the night and wake up? Thats what I do every other day. Of course, I have to wake up any ways to use the rest room. After that I have difficulty getting back to sleep. And which position do you follow for sleeping? My doc said I have to sleep on my side after the 4th month, but when I do that the weight of my whole body rests on my hips or arms, and the back does not get any support so I end up getting even more tired even after 9 hours of sleep. My back ache is my big problem now. Yesterday, we went to the mall and in just ten minutes I wanted to leave because I couldn't stand. Do you have this low backache problem?

Take care.

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Geetha, it's true what your mom says. I experienced back pain only towards the last couple of weeks. What I can think of only is your sleeping position. Try putting a pillow at your knee level when you lie on your sides. Rest one of your legs on that (your legs are like L shape). That way you're not straight on your sides and it's a relaxing position. But do check with your doc... sometimes we may just need some supplements.

8. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi Geetha,

As traveller said, i used to sleep sideways with a very soft pillow between my legs so it doesnt make ur legs resting on each other and eventually ur whole body weight will not rest on ur hands...try having a pillow , say if u r sleeping to ur left, keep ur left leg straight keep ur pillow between, then bend ur right leg in L shape and place ur right leg on the pillow..this surely will help u..u can also move ur body as much to the sides as possible without troubling ur baby...Since from childhood i have the habit of sleeping with a pillow, i didnt have this problem...

I get severe backaches once in a month, my doctor said whenever the uterus expands in size, it pushes the bladder and also the back aches...that time she asked me to have hot water massage or to apply some moov... i experience this once a month, think the uterus grows, manage by appplying moov, sometimes it gets me to tears ..then it gets alright the next day...So if u have this often, try some mild exercises (dont know if u already follow), sometimes if i wake up with back pain or body pain, i will just try some yoga, like simple stretching of arms , legs, floor exercises, just for 10 mins, it will be of much help...

People say u should have dinner by 8 or 8.30 stop fluid intake atleast for 1 hr before bedtime .. but in my case if i have dinner at 8 , i feel hungry again at 10 or 10.30 , so i used to have dinner at 9.30 ( i will stuff myself , else i will wake up due to hunger) and drink water for taking tablet only...only during the first trimester i used to wake up due to hunger , nowadays its only to visit the washroom...really difficult to get back to my sleeping position and sleep again..

Hope this helps, but do call ur doctor and get some help for back ache..

Take Care...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  9. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi maha, traveller,

I have not been visitng the forum regularly for a couple of days. Saw this post today only. Welcome to the sleeping club bonk

Right from first trimester I just have developed the amazing ability to sleep whole day.
    I have posted in many forums, did lot of research etc etc...

My husband, mom everyone scares with exactly the same thing that sleeping causes the baby to be big enough and hence labor would be more difficult. But, believe me, you cannot refrain from sleeping. Its all due to wondrous haemoglobin levels going down every month and hence the tiredness and sleep. My midwife however did tell me one thing that if our weight gain is more, then its a cause to worry. Luckily mine havent been at all, so she says its ok, nothing to worry about.

At 32 weeks, I still have 8 more weeks of anticipation and yes ofcourse as the days go, all sort of questions and fear do engulf me...
    So as I can just say now that eat healthy foods but dont overload yourself too much. Keep an eye on the weight gain and blood pressure. High blood pressure, high sugar level is a cause of concern. If anyone of these are there, please do start going for a walk (which I never do tsk)

Take care and all the best

10. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi pavithra,

First of all nice to hear abt ur scan...Think ur baby wants to have his/her secret unrevealed..:gift

Think many feel the way same way like me..So it keeps me positive..Nowadays i manage to walk atleast 5 days a week , atleast my hubby pushes me and takes for a walk...If it is weekends, he doesnt let me to sleep in the afternoon...we just keep roaming in the malls , eat , walk, sit , visit the loo as often as possible, but the only thing that we dont do is to sleep there ...Big LaughChillout!

Anyway when i go to india , i cant do this way, so trying my best not to be a sleepy head...

Take Care and keep posting..