Do pregnant women really get attention?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Godschild, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Being 5 months pregnant I just wanted to list down on how people have treated me the last few months.

At work:

1)While boarding the bus I always get pushed and the ‘Expectant Mother’s’ seat is always occupied.
    I would pause and wait for the lady to realize that I need the seat. But in turn would get a defiant stare.
    I would then request her saying I’m carrying and would you mind giving me the seat.
    She would then give me the seat with a ‘B*****, I hate you’ look.

So that’s how the day starts. :rant

2) Then while getting down I would again get pushed mercilessly.

3)While visiting the loo the polite and good mannered ladies would open the door in full swing at top speed. Twice I nearly got my belly hit. And they would again give me the insolent stare if I happen to glare back at them.

In laws:

Ah now comes the most interesting species on this earth:

1)When my pregnancy test came positive the first reaction I got was from my SIL.
    “Oh no! How will you work? How will you complete your studies?”
    “You’ll put on weight and what will you wear to work?” :shock:

2)Then my darling MIL:
    “Your child’s gonna end up dark like you. I wish the child gets my son’s complexion” :frown:

God!! I can go on listing so much.
    But for now its your turn.

Do you really think people treat us fair??
    Have you ever felt like screaming out loud “I'm Pregnant and in need of pampering!” Witsend
    This space is for you vent it out.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010

2. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Re: Do pregnant woman really get attention?

GC,

Iam yet to get pregnant,but I can understand your feelings very much.Your MIL & SIL's reactions are horrible:rant.God bless(???) such people!

Take Care GC!Hope you do not get frustrated of these people and their irrational behavior!

3. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Hey RG,

Thanks gal!!
    I do get irritated occasionally. But moslt would turn a deaf ear to them.

Tons of Baby Dust to you girly!

4. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Hi GodsChild,
    I can still remember my experiences when i was pregnant.

My in-laws were quite happy.
    But for me, mercy came through auto-walas :p
    Though my workplace is in a walkable distance, if sometimes feeling sick, if i hire an auto, he would drive to show all his talents on the road, in spite of seeing my popped belly.
    Or sometimes, the autowala would just stare @me and say a big 'NO' as its a small distance(1.5kms) and he wouldnt get any return savari. (i wonder how all drivers recite the same)

And while walking through platforms, if there's traffic jam, 2-wheelers would occupy that leaving the pedestrians on road.
    (Once i was about to dash over a bike when i was in my 2nd trimester:spin,while walking in platform)

The list goes on and on...

Poor mothers, being kicked both from inside and outside.

Take care of you and your babe while travelling in bus or even while walking ya:)

5. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

GC
    sorry about thos bad expierences you had
    my side its a positive story
    family on both sides very happy but mil scared me on day 1 itself saying in 1st 3 months abortion is a very common thing else wise she was fine

i go to work in office cab..since 4-5 th month my tummy was visible gals in cab were very cautious and made sure they giveme seat next to driver and used to warn driver always that he has to go slow and nicely etc

my co workers used to get something nice often for me like samosas,cashewnuts,home made sweets and used to treat me well

one day when we went for shopping..dh was holding all bags and i was carrying just 1 and from no where watchman came and took that cover from my hand and said mam u should'nt eb carrying all these weights and got the package till car

my mils neighbour had a mango tree and she made sure she gave me all thos mangoes that came in feb itself

couple of my friends who were attending mass prayers made sure me and baby were included in those prayers and sent me those positive vibes unasked

my manager gave me only 7 hrs shift this month(unaksed)

so ya i feel more or less preg women are getting more attention

6. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on your pregnancy, Godschild!

At work:
    Hey dear, Be careful at work.You need to be defensive and need to put your safety as your topmost priority.

I was staying at home while I was preggy , so I do not have much experience on that.

In -Laws:

Ufff...You can never predict them.

If your Sil something like that again, say that the joy of motherhood suppresses everything else and this is not the time to worry about such things.Hey , what if the kid is dark say that whatever color my kid will be he/she will be an angel.

My MIL did not even react positively when my Hubby showed the scan reports.:rant.To top it all, my SIL came from her place(far off) just to shout at me saying that I have snatched her brother,sister,mom from her .It was such a bad shout which I felt very funny.People around me were tensed since I was just 4.5 mnths preggy that time.But I was not bothered much on all this since I was very strong that my kid should be my priority.

Now my SIL tries to avoid me as she knows now that if she opens her mouth also now, she will get properly from me.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl.She just tried to play with me during my weak moments and somehow I still think her intentions were not good when she did that.

GC, Don't worry about anything.Stay healthy and listen to good music(instead of all this :crazy music from In-laws:rotfl).

Good luck to you and your child!

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Grumbling and mumbling the statement.."Hello all fortunately or unfortunately i am pregnant :rant:rant:rant"..

What kind of hell are we living ladies..At times i get pissed off to the core..most of them are heartless.

Itz not that they aren't aware about our condition.Just taken for granted..

When few foreign returns quote often like "In US itz like that..In UK itz like this blah blah blah.." I used to get annoyed..But now yes they are right..People have courtesy and they respect each other.

Even on request few hesitate to get up from their seat.At times i feel like sitting on the floor instead of pleading them.Damn my body doesn't helps me in the evening.

The remark about opening the door is true.Can't understand why people wait till the last minute and enter in such an urge to the Loo..yes it is their right to go when they need but can't they be cautious enough :rant. We should have some horn like autos or some audio message.."Bonk Bonk i am behind , please open the door slowly". But i should thank and remember few gals(un-married and youngsters) in my office.They are such a caring people.In fact they worry a lot rather than me. They never allow me to open the door or lift something if they are nearby.If at all i cough almost all of them will peep from their cabin and look if i ned some help from them.Those moment i understand why we are enjoying rain.Long live carign souls.

When our own relatives are heartless @ times how could we expect from third person :coffee.This is what i say to console me.

GC hugs to you dear..few things i'm not able to discuss very clearly.Wish we had private message facility.But i can pretty much understand how it would be facing such comments from the so called "known circle".I have been there :-(.

Should thank you for starting such a good thread.Wanted to vent out since long time.

I didn't mean to blame everyone.But whom have hurt me and others.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  8. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Hi MahiSree,

The auto-walas surely pose a big threat to preg women.
    Esp in Chennai. We already have great roads and rash driving makes the ride all the more threatening.
    I usually take the auto for my monthly check up.
    I would beg and plead with the driver to go slowly and be careful with the speed breakers.
    The old ones are okish. But few young fellows are absolutely insane.
    Sigh!!!

9. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Lavi,

Am so happy that i found one person who's giving a postive reply. :thumbsup
    Glad that things are going the right way and that your indeed getting pampered :)

10. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Hi Bhuvana,

Thanks for the wishes!!

I guess when the DIL gets preg the MIL and SIL reach a new level of insecurity. The scan report reaction happened to me as well.
    MIL was like i cant see the child's legs/hands blah blah. Is everythin normal??
    God i was just resisting the urge to punch her.

Thanks again. :)
    Your post has given me a lot more confidence and strength.