1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Do not waste foods. Tips to reuse.

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by srilavanya, Feb 1, 2008.

1. srilavanya

srilavanya New IL'ite

Hi il friends,

Everybody knows that today's economy is difficult for so many people. Wasting food are always not prefered by all.

I like to start a thread regarding "use of left over food to the next day with out wasting" I am having some useful tips. Here are they.

I use the left over few coconut chutney (prepared before day night and kept frozen in fridge) in korma. As korma has coconut, green chilly and little fried channa dhall. That does not change the taste. The same way I mix the before day onion chutney in any gravy or masala fry, and moong dhalls with cabbage curry.

Post your ideas to get some other usefull tips like this.

2. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

Nice, rather a useful thread to start, Srilavanya.

Here's a tip: If you've made sundal or just boiled black channa and have leftovers, mash these and some boiled potatoes, green chillies, bread crumbs, onions if preferred. Mix all these and make small patties out of them and fry, either shallow-fry or deep-fry.

They taste real yummy.
    best,
    hasita

3. srilavanya

srilavanya New IL'ite

Hi Hasita,

Thankyou for giving me a good idea for chenna. The recipe is really good. And thankyou once again for replying my thread.

Srilavanya

4. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Dear lavanya and hasita,

This thread is v useful for me.If u see my post in the marriage forum u can see that i am in need of this help.
    Thanks friends and let us we get many more ideas but sadly i dont know anything to do with leftovers to contribute here.But i shall learn now.

Suji :wave:

5. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

Hi gals,
    Leftovers next day usually are tastier than on the day you make it :wink: (though as far as possible try to avoid having any, I mean eat food fresh), but look who's talking - I usually have bit-bit leftovers quite often.
    So I try to make something delicious (only to me probably :biggrin2:) but at the same time nutritious.

Here's another one: if you happen to have chapattis or bread leftover..
    Make a paste in mixie of one medium onion, one or two tomatoes, one cup coriander, (mint leaves if preferred), bit of ginger, 2-3 garlic flakes, jeera, green chilly, salt to taste, turmeric pwdr. Garam masala can be added if preferred.

Sauté this in some oil, once the rawness is gone and you can see the oil separating from tomato, pour water (~one cup for one chapatti). Let it boil well, and then add the chappatis/bread. They will become soft. Medium flame it and mix slowly. Switch off the gas and cover for 5 minutes before serving.
    Serving tip: Squeeze a lemon over it for that extra zing to it.

If you have some veggies leftovers, moong sprouts, add these too while adding the masalas. It makes it more nutritious.

This makes a complete meal as well quite often.

Its also called "sail" or "sail mani" in Sindhi. Its a fav dish amongst Sindhis!

best,
    Hasita

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  6. srilavanya

srilavanya New IL'ite

Hi hasita,

Your recipe for left over chapatis and breads are really yummy. Thankyou for the recipe.

I some times use to dry the left over bread until crisp, make powder in mixie and use a table spoon of bread powder while making chapathis, Chapathis will be very soft and yummy.

Eat healthy, Be healthy.

Regards,

Srilavanya.

7. DudeWithAttitude

DudeWithAttitude New IL'ite

I dont waste any leftovers, it becomes my lunch the next day.....or 4 days later! Well, dont we all have to get used to this? esp. when we eat out so much at the restaurants :biggrin2:

8. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the tip, Srilavanya.
    I'll sure try it out.. thanks.

I usually powder the left-over bread and keep aside for using in patties, like most of us do. Wasn't aware about adding it to chappati dough.

9. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

hi DudeWAtt..,
    Depends on the qty of leftovers.. it sometimes becomes my lunch as well :), even though I do not eat out at restaurants so often.

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread,
    I use the left-over curries, sambhars, sundals and even cooked rice for making 'kadamba sadam' which means mixed veg. sambhar rice.
    add onion, tomato, tamarind juice, and add the fried ingredients ( coriander seeds, urad dhal, red chillies, saunf, jeera, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and curry leaves) to the mashed rice or keep it in the pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles..
    Nowadays I don;t worry if any veg. is leftover.

If the cooked rice is more then I do prepare 'curd or yogurt rice' as usual.

If any leftover 'puli sambar or vendhaya kuzumbu (sambar) is available add it to today's sambar and it will taste yummy.
    Hope these help!

sriniketan