1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do not break the chain! Do read this and pour down your comments!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jun 29, 2010.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

The origin of chain letters dates back to the year 1888. The first full pledged chain letter recorded by Daniel W.VanArsdale in his massive archive of the genre is dated 1888. If we accept that a true chain letter must contain within its text an explicit instruction to the receiver to make copies of the mailing and send them to a specified number of recipients. If, however, we are willing to settle for an implied instruction to pass the item to others for their benefit, protection or well being, certain written communications dating to Middle Ages could be considered the first of this sort.

Contemporary chain letters fall in to five categories:

!. Money generating: These are known as Pyramid or Ponzi scheme.
    This is now banned in many countries.

2. Luck generation or ill luck avoidance: These letters mostly convey a windfall if you do not break the chain and some catastrophe if you break the chain and Also success in love or failure if you do not follow the instruction.

Success story: Accounts of the happy circumstances of a few people who followed instructions are given like, (financial windfall, success in love matter, or miraculous recovery from illness) are described in glowing detail to convince the receiver.

Punishment story: Accounts of setbacks or tragedies like (job loss, injury or death) that befell a few people who ignored the letter or threw it away.

3. Altruistic chain letters: These chain letters are those who that present themselves as seeking benefit for others rather than for the financial enrichment or improvement of luck of their recipients/forwarders. Into this category fall prayers for the suffering and collections made on behalf of charitable groups or the needy themselves.

4. Something for nothing: These chain letters that hold out at the forwarders reward the promise of entertainment or a form of practical joke of the “made you foolish” variety.

5. Humor: These mailings are solely sent to provoke rueful smiles or outright guffaws among those they are happily flung to. These are harmless like the jokes we enjoyed and forwarded to our friends. :)

I google searched and brought out this valuable information to share with you all!

In the high-tech age chain messages are sent through e/ mails and sms. This is one of the advantages of advanced technology. You could send the messages just by clicking your forward button of your desk top or laptop. Thank God! At least now we save time from a visit to post office to purchase postcards and laboriously writing the message in 15/25 cards according to the instruction given in the chain mail.

I do not believe in windfalls. I believe we will get what we deserve and do not yearn for more. Hence I just ignore these chain letters. I wonder even in this 21<sup>st</sup> century how rational thinking people believe in these kind of superstitions.:hide:

The recent SMS I received from a relative: This was about the Tamil Semmozi conference. If I would send the message to 15 persons Rs 99.99 or something would be added in my cell phone account.Ha Ha Ha!

Yesterday I saw a person lamenting in TOI that though he adhered to the instruction no money was added in his account and he wanted to know who he should contact. Perhaps this chain message belongs to the category of “something for nothing!”:biglaugh

1 person likes this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Pushpa Mami

How are you. I also dont believe in the chain letters and I also agree that what we deserve we will get it. I am happy with what I have.

Namaskarams
    viji

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear pushpa mam,

hahahh rs 99 for sending 15 messages??? my very first post on IL was on these chain letters.i just delete them without a single thought but yes,well meaning friends do send me ..at least one per week.:)

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Viji,
    I am fine. It is nice to read your first comments. I did read your Bangalore visit write up and enjoyed it. Your simple narration of events are nice to read.
    The more we yearn for the more miserable we will feel, if we do not get what we want.
    "I believe in the Proverb "Pothumenra maname pon seyyum marunthu."
    Love,
    PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Mindi,
    It seems I missed your write up on chain letters.
    Thanks for dropping in and posting your comments,
    Love,
    PS

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Pushpa
    The way you have put about these chain letters in your style is just awesome...
    I know before it use to be send in the postcard. I remember once my mom had got it and she had to send it 21 people or something bad was going to befall and she forced me to do the copies and like a good DD sat and wrote for her......hahaha
    But now a days it is much better just press forward button and post to your contacts...hehehe
    But i never forward such mails will do it if it is something interesting and funny just to make my friends laugh at it.....
    If any God's photos to send to about 20 people and all will just delete them.
    Funny about that innocent man who sent to 15 people with the greed that his account will be topped up with Rs. 99....hahaha

7. contented

contented Senior IL'ite

Hahaha to avoid badluck , you must send the bad luck to atleast 20 people. If you send the mail only to 15 people, then you will still have bad luck for 2 years...:rotfl

Its hilarious to read such chain mails. I just delete them everytime. But I get my share of "bad luck" when my friends send it to me. Again the delete button comes in handy :bonk

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Aruna,

But i never forward such mails will do it if it is something interesting and funny just to make my friends laugh at it.....

I too forward if it is informative or some good joke which would make people laugh.

If any God's photos to send to about 20 people and all will just delete them.

Even God's photos some people may not like for they would have belief in a particular God only.
    Thanks for dropping in and posting your comments,
    Love,
    PS

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear contented,
    I like your nom de plume.
    Thanks for visiting this thread and pouring your views.
    I would also prefer to delete these chain mails.
    Love,
    PS

10. Nitroshweta

Nitroshweta New IL'ite

Ha ha ha...nice post...chain letters are made by people who don't have any other work. I simply delete them :)