1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do mothers stop loving their sons after he marries????

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shobhamumbaikar, Jan 13, 2015.

1. shobhamumbaikar

shobhamumbaikar Gold IL'ite

Nothing like that was told to her. And if showing the chart to her means this then this is what was told to me as well. Because i too used to cook almost in line of my mil only, because of many reasons' 1.that is how she wanted it, 2.they tasted good with that 3. i don't have any problem in having spicy food. 4. dh was habituated with that food and most of them he liked though some he didn't but adjusted. I too have to make changes in my ways now after his illness.

yes there are many. She is often told that way by dh as well and she makes. But she will always cook them along with the unhealthy ones and she will insist that ALL she cooks have to be eaten. Any item refused means DRAMA

yes it is to a great extent and that is why we sat with the chart and made slight alterations here and there, asked mil to do that when she came too, so that we have some flexibility. But when there are things that, when taken in the morning invariably causes nausea and heartburn by afternoon with belching tasting/smelling that food, repeatedly then i think there is nothing then there is nothing 'personal' in that anymore.Even before we went to doc when such things used to happen and dh used to tell me i used to stop that food for the time being. But when mil cooks, dh's saying that also, invariably, leads to drama and more and more hatred for me as some how, no matter what happens my mil believes that all of these are my doing:idontgetit::bang

2. shobhamumbaikar

thanks for your suggestions. Yes i do try not to be a part of this. Even when mil says in front of me that a particular food that dh is refusing to take is just to 'please' me as it is me and not him who do not like the food and hence want my dh to eat what i like, I try not to reply anything and just show that i have not heard anything.

But yes, i am yet to master the word not to take her seriously. her words hurt me a lot. I just cannot fathom the reason as to why and how a sane person can behave in such insane ways. Honestly at times, more than food it is her words that upset me. I cannot imagine just how she manages to put every little thing on me when she knows everything and knows that i used to cook her way only earlier and used to like it. So it is not me, it is her own son for whom the change is made. I just feel upset to see the amount of hatred she has for me that makes her totally bind towards everything logical. faintingsmiley

3. shobhamumbaikar

I think you are right jigisha. I fear this obsession will destroy either dh health or whatever little peace is there at home. there seems to be no middle path. thanks for understanding the situation.

1 person likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@shobhamumbaikar

I responded to the above line posted by you in your OP. It seems as if your DH was forced fed something inappropriate by his mom to win a power game with you. I understand that you are being sick of this.

An adult can not be forced fed, moreover if he has health issues concerning to foods, and he is well aware of it then how come he complains of force feeding?

Well, you may come back and say.. I did not say my H complained. Well... if your H did not complain about this to you, it means he either accepts it or enjoys it. Otherwise, he would have rejected it. Come on... he is a grown up man. Not a kid. Even if he complains, it doesn't show his helplessness, but his attitude of showing 2 faces. I hope he is not that kind of a kid.

Why being sick if your H is ok with whatever happens at home? I assume again here, because if someone is not forced fed, not angry about it or not rejected the food but ate it and it is not an isolated case but apparently a regular scenario. This indicates, he is fairly ok with this. Leave it.

He will react when he feels uncomfortable or upset or realized the fact that he is being forced fed. He will handle it. Because the person in question is his mom, not a state authority or someone from outside that your H might feel controlled to raise his voice.

Moreover, some old people do not stick to the diet chart. It is how they were living all throughout their lives. Even I don't strictly follow my dietitian. If my mom, MIL or anyone offer me some very tasty food to eat, I would consider eating that instead of breaking their heart. It is also a matter of pleasing my taste buds time in and out. But when my biological clock reminds me of my health status (acidity, being fat or other allergies) I would consider a way or two to diplomatically reject them. Again, it is all upto my level of tolerance, mood and all. After all, it is my home, my people why so much strict unless you are extremely sick and no help.

Take it easy... You serious take on this made me feel as if you were also fighting for the power.

1 person likes this.
  5. internetmom

internetmom Silver IL'ite

Like Jigisha, i will also only answer your question as to why she is dong that. from what you said in your post let me tell you she loves her son but there are other things overshadowing that love.
    1. Her over confidence that she knows better than the doc
    2.Her ego that stops her from thinking that anything that she does can ever be wrong
    3.Her insecurity that makes her think that if she now changes the way it will somehow make you win as you are the one that started it before her. If the doc and dietician chapter would have happened in your absence and her presence and if your mil would have started following it before you, the scenario would have been different here. and she never wants to you to win because that will mean her losing her importance to her son (according to her)
    4. Her hatred for you because you are the intruder who intruded between the mom and son (again according to her).

The deadly combination of all these has resulted in her being what she is now. Believe me she is not doing it very calculatedly. She just has lost her ability to think logically because of the overwhelming presence of all these in her mind. You can be logical to a thinking person, not to a bundle of negative emotion that she is now. So don't even try that. Don't feel bad for her words. Treat her as a mental patient. And don't become a patient yourself. Be diplomatic and ask your dh to be careful about his own food as you can not do a thing about that. Discuss the chart with him once again if necessary. Ask him to refuse to eat anything that is not good for him outright but politely. If he fails to do it at times, let him face the consequences. that will make him careful next time. And i repeat, do NOT feel bad for what mil says, just pity her and move on. Hope it helps. take care.

1 person likes this.
  6. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

@OP...
    You must be joking.. after marriage MILs shower extra love with tadka laga ke on their sons..

2 people like this.
  7. shobhamumbaikar

You are misinterpreting my statement dear. I said EITHER he has to refuse to eat it which leads to drama OR he has to eat even if he does not want to just to avoid drama. And he does that not because he is a kid but because he is an adult and like an adult he has to show maturity in the face of the stubborn immaturity of his mom. What I was upset about was the fact that it always has to be either of the two. No understanding at all can be expected from my mil, rather we have to accept it silently when she, like some one crazy, just crazily puts it all on me, when she very well knows it is her own son who is ill not me. This surprises and upsets me to the core.

8. noush

noush Bronze IL'ite

oh my sweet innocent, still in love with your hubby, friend.....

you have got only part of the issue here.. let me help compete the circle.

Let me assure you that your MIL is sane and with her very SANE MIND, she is actually getting her way. Also her main objective is to fulfill her wish and her intention.

and what is your MIL's intention??

(now now when you read further, remember NOT question yourself " IS this FAIR")

MIL's intention: My son should love ME more. I should be the only women in his life.

MIL's Fears: damn my son now has his wife, young and beautiful. My son is at the age where he would want to have SEX. His wife is the only one who can give that pleasure to my son. ****.. how unfortunate that i cant give him that pleasure. i know my son will forget the 1st woman in his life... which is ME. i know how men work, what SEX is to men, i was in her place few decades ago too, i know what all i did to get my hubby to me and to get my MIL off my back and now I am a MIL and my son.. OH MY SON. I have always loved him all his life, will he forget all what i did for him for all these years??
    My DIL will take over my son!!! i cannot let this happen.
    I should make sure that all other aspects of his life i will it soooo much better for my son that he will only listen to me, and love me more, and never forget me.
    Damn i got competition with that young good looking lady (his wife). I need to get my A game ON.... HE IS MY SON, I KNOW HIM MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE

MIL's Planning begins: cook the food he likes, make sure he talks to his mum more, make sure the son discusses everything with mum not the wife, pamper him , look after him, be the one who showers lots (i mean LOTS) of love and care etc etc etc....

so this is the reason why you MIL behaves the way she behaves. when she sees you and she feels that she has a huge competition she cannot WIN, but she will not give up. Also when you manage to prove her wrong/incorrect oooooo my myyyyy, she will gets even more raged....

now what should you do

i am sure you do not want me to tell you that.
    But i hope this would help lessen the stress your MIL's behavior is causing you. Hoping also you will not take you MIL seriously... coz you got the key and you have already WON this competition that your MIL has started....

:) :)

i hope i atleast have bought a smile to your face :)
    dont stress on the battle you have already won...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    2 people like this.
  9. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

Shobha,

Similar scenesin my house too. If I cook chapathis(yes!) for my husband in the night she would make a big hue and cry and do propaganda all over the place saying I dont give him proper food.The same thing her dd does is alright with her saying she takes good care of her husband. My husband is a bit of an absent minded person who eats whatever is given. Due to these things, I lost my enthusiasm in following doctor's suggestions. My suggestion is stick to your guts about diet. If possible praise that she cooks healthy food andtakes good care etc so that she is on your side thanadversary.

10. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

Op time for you to revisit 'Art of turning deaf.. ' thread. You said she behaves like crazy, illogical person, so start treating her like one. Remind your DH to take care of his health without getting into nitty gritty of it. Next time don't sit down and discuss charts, she might feel threatened. Please don't feel hurt or depressed, it is totally not worth it. Every time she says something mean, repeat in your mind 'She is depressed, i don't want to go down that path' or you will turn into her :twisted: