1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do Friends Enter Your Home When You Are On Vacation?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Rihana, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

In the long ago past, one of our friends left her house keys with her desi neighbor to be used in case of emergency. She had no plants that needed watering or pets that needed feeding. She specified that they were for emergency use only. Returned from vacation a week early to find her neighbor's extended family was being hosted in her home.

Our neighbor collects our mail and takes care of the outside stuff ... mowing/watering the lawn in summer, shoveling the driveway in winter, putting out trash in our cans ... basically making the place look lived-in. We return the favor.

Our spare keys are with a relative who lives too far away for daily chores, but is available for emergencies. She also voluntarily stocks our fridge and freezer a day before our return. We do the same for her.

What apps do y'all use for security?

Rihana likes this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Rihana,

I am trying understand the thoughts you go through to start these random threads and honestly I tried to refrain from answering but couldn't hold myself back seeing all the responses. In my case, it is "mi casa, su casa" - I don't know what I would have done without my neighbors! It is very normal to see my neighbors hanging out in our backyard when we are away! Of course plants are watered, fish are fed (yup I have a big tank :) and dogs are let out! The favor is always returned of course - mostly taking care of pets etc. Good neighbors are hard to come by and am for one ever grateful for them!

Rihana likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks guys. It's nice to read all the responses. I am suddenly also so nostalgic for the lock we used to have on our house in my childhood. It was a big heavy brass one. I am trying to recall the brand.. it was definitely not Sheel but no other brand coming to mind. I could ask my sibling.. the lock must still be at home for all I know ... but somehow such questions about our long distant childhood seem to unsettle my folks back in India. :confused: