1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do children of today Play??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aquamarine, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Hi aqua

Really a thread which makes us speak about our concerns for our children and their physical and emotional development.

Shanvy you are absolutley right . we have to set the example for our children, I too enjoy a good game of running and playing around with my daughters.Also i substitute as her friend when she wants to play any indoor activity like chess , carrom etc.Personally i feel that playing various indoor and outdoor games provides not only the needed exercise for the body but also helps in their emotional and mental development. Also i feel there is lack of places in chennai for the children to run around and play. I am not aware of the situation in other places. Even if there are parks i see only middle aged and elderly people walking and relaxing, but NO CHILDREN. The major play areas for children seem to be the cyber centres where i see children getting addicted to cyber games.
    So i guess it is upto us as Parents to provide the best possible solution for the children within the restricted spaces and restricted atmosphere.

Jay

2. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Dear Punitha,

you are the lucky few who have understood this concept....a good idea to take them to indoor gaming places...

warm wishes,
    aqua.

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello pri

will not argue
    a teacher is 100% right
    this time double right....

and then there are mothers
    who cannot do what they have to
    they send them to tuitions
    when they can sit with them
    to just remember...their day

nila nila odi va
    nillamal odi va
    is on TV
    and the mom is immersed in a serial
    of her choice...
    technical advancement..!!!

sathya

4. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi Oviya,

sorry could not reply earlier....when i wrote this topic i never realised so many would take an active interest in it...after all i have been a teacher for 13 years and after all the Rantto be heard...i find many choose to not listen or are selective with their hearing abilities....physical games is a very much needed activity with children of today...

love

aqua.

5. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi Girija,

I came from a school which encouraged physical aspects than homework...my prinicipal was of the firm belief that life has many things to it...and games was an equal part of it..he told all the students that they should be part of any physical games like tennis, cricket, hockey or football or basketball or swimming but they have to be a part of it..if they have a continuous attention then they will be given extra credits for their weak subject like maths or chemistry in their finals...this gave them the extra push to play games..teachers were not encouraged to take PT periods for finishing their portion for the exams....i think certain schools need to be taken into consideration...not all....i also have seen schools with no play grounds at all...so i certainly see your point...

warm wishes,

aqua.

6. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi Lata,

i have a perfect solution for your problem..have you tried putting your little ones in play acting school during summer holidays...or dancing schools..this happened with quite a few of my students..i discovered a class run by arundathi nag for children on acting and playwriting and i encouraged them to join it....they went in and trust me that too is a real task...they came back changed after the holidays and the parents told me that their children are now keen to go out and meet people and not spend time in front of tv or computer...they want to meet people and play and join new clubs...so something there another find is the shamak davar academy for dancing conducted during summer and dasara holidays ...this too led to nice results...i even got my younger sis to join there she is now a dynamite and has a whole plethora of friends who drop in and she has joined a new club for swimming...so i think you could try it....

warm wishes,

aqua.

7. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi Kamalji,

Thank you so much...this means a lot to me. I as a teacher have seen and am seeing children in day to day life and i see them always shying away from games....i blame the tv ofcourse then thought how can we blame an idiot box...we need to find innovative and new ways to encourage children to play...

warm wishes,

priya.

8. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi poonam,

Lovely to hear that your little one is a real live wire....such kids are fun to have around...but also sad to see your elder one becoming a bit reclusive...please do get her to join some drama or clubs nearby that have games or you know meeting new people...i think she will come back a changed person...you could also try to get her to join a new activity class of some sort which is to her liking like painting or drawing or art classes...i use to go to classes conducted by "Expressions" in double road near lalbagh bangalore...my i used to see so many children coming in on saturdays and sundays and making friends with common interest another ground for her you see....try it..may be she will become more interactive.

warm wishes,

aqua.

9. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

HI JJ,

Thanks for the FB...a brilliant idea for your little ones my friend.....would love to see children soak up the sun...when we were young mom used to tell us the sun is going to waste so you people are using it up isnt it...and we used to laugh saying sleep is so boring and were on the ground the entire night my patti used to scream saying the girls are becoming black from constant exposure to sun...those were the days....

lovely to read your reply....

warm wishes,

aqua

10. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi Srini,

Thanks for peeping in....What to do.....whom do we blame...but i think the solution to any problem often presents itself like how shanthi says we need to find innovative methods to keep the little ones busy in games....

warm wishes,

aqua.