Diwali

Discussion in 'Festivals & Special Days' started by Amanda, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Amanda

Amanda Guest

My name is Amanda. I am a preschool teacher. I have a child in my class that is from India and I would like to some how celebrate Diwali. Also to teach the other children in my class about the festival. All I know is that it is the festival of lights. If any one can give me some ideas on what I can do that would be wonderful.

Thank you all so much

2. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi Amanda,

I think it is really nice of you to want to celebrate Diwali with your students and make the Indian child feel welcome. Typically diwali celebrations in India revlove around making and eating sweets, bursting fire crackers, lighting lamps at home, wearing new clothes and going out to meet friends and family. For your class you could explain the various celebrations and ask the kids to draw pictures of them. If it is possible they could make diyas (small earthen lamps) out of playdough and decorate them. They could also draw and color rangolis (designs usually made on the front doorstep of a home). you could also have an 'Indian food' theme for lunch that day and have your students bring in an Indian dish.

Hope you have fun with your class and let us know how it goes..

Mythraeyi

3. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Amanda, Its a great thought to celebrate Diwali to make the only Indian child in your class happy. Some years before i was running a playschool. We use to have a party day before each festival like Diwali, Christmas, EID and make the children wear the traditional dress that is worn on the festival day. We buy sweets, cakes and various other food items for the children. Decorate the class room. Make the children prepare greeting cards for their parents. Buy gifts for each child. Explain to the children the way in which the festival is celebrated and make them tell their opinion too. This will help the other children also to understand the significance of other festivals. Hope u too celebrate and enjoy. Have a great time.

4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi Amanda,

Diwali is a festival of lights... The background behind Diwali is two fold... The South Indians follow Diwali because Lord Krishna killed Narkasura, the great demon... So people celebrate that in the morning with burning crackers and all...

The North Indians celebrate Diwali, because that is the day Lord Rama brought Seetha back to Ayodhya, after killing Ravana... So they celebrate with lights and sweets in the evening...

The way in which it is being celebrated, has been narrated by other... Hope you got some Idea and I have not confused you...

All the best...

5. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hi Amanda

A simple explanation for the significance of Diwali. I also had to teach 4/5 yr old children. Diwali means a row of lights.Di or Diya means light and wali means a row. Light removes darkness. Light is God, knowledge, goodness while darkness is bad qualities, ignorance. The message of Diwali is that Good triumps over evil. Lord Rama returned to his kingdom after 14 years in exile, he defeated the evil demon king Ravana. When he returned with Mother Sita and his brother Lakshman the people were so happy that they lit fireworks, danced etc. Lord Rama was the personification of goodness.
    To celebrate Diwali people have a bath and then pray thanking God for everything they have. They meet family and friends. There is love and friendship and if you had a fight with your friend you have to forgive and become friends again. People wear new clothes. They share the lovely goodies like sweets and cakes. In the evening they light lamps and light fireworks to dispell the darkness. Gratitude, love, forgiveness are the good values expressed.:-D
    Here's a delightful song - I found it on a British nursey school website - can't find it now but there's no copyright on it!!

Sing to to tune of LondonBridge is falling down

Little lamps are burning bright, burning bright, burning bright
    Little lamps are burning bright It's Diwali
    See them lighting up the night,Up the night, up the night.
    See them lighting up the night.
    It's Diwali.

Coconut ice is an easy Indian sweet to make.

Activities - Diwali greeting cards, cut out lamps.

Enjoy, Regards Neesha

6. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai Neesha Teacher

I really impressed with ur elaborate definiton about diwali, very nice yaar

and i enjoyed that rhymes too, and i started singing that in london bridge falling down tune loudly and my son was looking at me like something has happened to me!!!!!

Nice post yaar

wishing u all a very happy diwali

LATAMURALv

7. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame