Diwali sweets...

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Laxmi, Oct 12, 2008.

Your Diwali sweets are....

1. Home made

65 vote(s)
    87.8%
  2. Store bought

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Poll for 12th October 2008 to 18th October 2008

Hello ladies
    With Diwali round the corner, one can never forget the gulab jamuns, mysorepauks, kajukatlis and halwas. Just forget all your aspirations for size '0' and go ahead and indulge in the ghee dripping sweets and other savouries.
    Now this week poll topic is:

Are your Diwali sweets store bought or home made?

With the fast paced life style and no holidays for Indian festivals in MNC culture, we are left with little options to celebrate our traditions. Sow we tend to take a short cut to make the best out of the most. Because of time constraints do you buy your Diwali sweets from stores, or come what may do you take extra effort to make Diwali sweets at home?
    Cast your votes and let us know your views.

Also in this thread am posting my favourite sweet : Gulab jamun and my DH's favourite: badam halwa.
    Your most welcome to post your favourite sweet too.

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Laxmi,
    very sweet thread.Can you give us one more option "Both"..because few simple ones i make at home others we get from store.

My favourite sweet : Pal kova(nothing can beat the pal kova made in srivilliputtur),Rasagolla and gulab jamun

3. banuma

banuma Senior IL'ite

MY fav sweet is rasmalai and adhirasam.
    I love all traditional sweets.

4. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

hi lakshmi

what a sweet thread... if you think diwali first thing which comes to mind is home made sweets.... i wait for sweets from my friends house... especially adirasam, some ball bonkbonki forgot the name... with ghee and all time favou dry jamun

5. lalithavennkat

lalithavennkat Silver IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi

My favourite sweet for making as well as for eating is Wheat Halwa and Badhusha.

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Laxmi,
    you are so sweet and tempting me for sweets! I never used to make sweets earlier, always shop bought. But after IL, I make at home, thanks to IL and Chithra. But I do buy sometimes, I would prefer to do at home. The first diwali after IL, I made 100 laddus and 5 kg of mixer and got good feedbacks from even my mother. Thanks to Chithra only.
    I love all sweets. Son is more towards kaju katli, badam cake, gulab jamoon. As for hubby, he loves badusha- though he is not at all fond of sweets.

7. vase

vase Senior IL'ite

Hi laxmi,

Like Supriya mentioned, I also make simple ones at home and order 'complex' ones from store.

My favourite sweet is 'Adhirasam' but I haven't tried making it; so buy it outside.

My husband and 1st son like all sweets :):) whereas my 2nd one likes no sweets other than 'DudhPeda - which again I dont know how to make; so end up buying that too!

Thru this poll, you have already rung in the 'Diwali' season!!! :bowdown:bowdown

Cheers!

8. rekhad

rekhad New IL'ite

Yes, I too wanted a 'both' option as I prepare simple sweets at home and the sweets which require lot of time for preparation are bought from the shop :)

9. AnshuSinha

AnshuSinha Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    My fav sweet is gulab jamun and I made it few times with Gits but no time for Diwali sweets at home. I came back from India just a week agao,was not keeping well and lot of cleaning and other works. That too diwali is on a weekday and no holiday for diwali ,so had to do puja ,cleaning and dinner (few friends), so hubby suggested to buy instead of making at home.Though I made Kulfi with hlep of Gits Kulfi .

Anshu

10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

No doubt i prefer home made always, ofcourse few are good in particular shops still can never compete with the homemade. I love my grannys adhirsam which is a forsure sweet during deepavali other than that she makes wheat halwa which is a tedious and time-consuming process but the best sweet in this world. my grandpa loves it a lot, after he left us we stopped making it @ home. but still able to remember the taste. have tasted wheat halwas from different people and shops but all these are totally diferent from my granny's recipe.