1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorce due to inlaws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by asuitablegirl, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

You all know me. I've been with my dh 6 years now, married nearly 5. My inlaws are still harassing me nonstop. My dh says "ignore it". He doesn't do anything anymore to try and stop them. When my dh was married to his first wife, he went on a month long honeymoon train trip around India with her in 2003, then another India visit in 2004, and also US trips to Key West, St. Augustine, Disney World, New Jersey, and New York City. That was from 2003-2004. In our marriage, he has brought me for a few days to St. Augustine, and one trip to Washington DC. That has been the extent of our trips from 2005-2011.

His family has recently gone on the warpath trying to get rid of me once and for all. They took my friends list off of facebook and contacted everyone we both knew telling all kinds of lies about me, like that I'm a rebound girl, a mistake, and nobody wants me. My sil was planning on coming to U.S. to see her "flesh and blooooooood" (that's what she calls my dh). My dh took my passport and copied it and sent it to her. I had enough of her bullying me and contacted the consulate asking for my passport copy to be taken out of her file as I want nothing to do with her. Now she is not coming to US and instead going to Canada where her and my dh have planned to meet.

How is that fair, that we have gone nearly nowhere in the course of our marriage, yet he is going to take time and money to go to Canada to see someone who has caused so much problems in our life?

To be honest, I've just about stopped loving him. His family is relentless and I feel like the only way to get peace in life would be to get away from him and his crazy family. Has anyone else gotten divorced mainly due to their inlaws? What hurts me most is, my dh could stand up to them and put a stop to this nonsense and save our marriage.... but he doesn't. You might think I'm about to say, "but he's a good guy and I'm sure he loves me" but NO he is not a good guy and NO he does not love me. Good men don't abuse their wives. Good men do not let others abuse their wives. And good men don't party and go binge drinking in Canada with the people who abused their wife.

He hates his job and constantly blames me for it. Everything is always my fault. I'm looking for a job right now but still got no offers. So his sister calls me up and ridicules me asking why I don't have a job, is it because I'm waiting for my certificate to come in the mail. Even hearing that, he doesn't care. He just doesn't care what they do or say.

It's hard when you wake up one day and realize that this person sleeping next to you is just a big dissapointment. I wish I had never met him. And now I'm left wondering how to pick up the pieces of my life and move on. I'm wondering why God let's such evil people like my inlaws stay alive. I'm wondering why God let me meet such a terrible person as my dh.

And I do not think of him in my mind as DEAR husband (dh), I just didn't know what else to term him in this post of mine.

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

ASG I am so sorry to hear about this. I wish you god speed and good luck in finding a job soon. I think you are facing difficult times on all fronts and having a non-supportive husband is just NOT what you need right now. Only you can decide what to do next, we can only offer our love and support for your decisions. You will be in my prayers. Take care friend.

2 people like this.
  3. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Hi ASG,
    I have followed many of your threads and your replies to other people in this forum. I think you are a mature person (for ur age) with a stable head. I understand where you are coming from. Nothing is going right - u do not like ur SIL and ur husband is making a trip to meet her. U do not have a job and the job hunt is getting to u. So just stay calm and take it one at a time. Take small baby steps to resurrect ur career and family. And at this point, career should be ur priority. Do not bother about whats going on with ur husband and his family. Focus on job hunt, go out with friends, stay calm with your husband. And think about separating from your husband when you are in a calmer state of mind. Do not hurry up and rush into anything, at the end of the day, its not worth it.
    I remember an old thread of yours, where one fine day, u thought something is wrong in your marriage, and eventually found it, it was all not true. It is very easy to get anxious and take decisions in the spur of the moment. But that would not solve your problem. And if you decide to separate, it is because of your husband who doesnt take a stand against ur in-laws. So it would be wiser blaming him. Again, I reiterate, stay calm and put this aside and focus on ur job hunt. Good luck to u, ASG! :)

3 people like this.
  4. asuitablegirl

Yeah I know. It is 100% his fault. They only get away with this because he stands by and lets it happen. He doesn't care about me at all. Not even a little bit. There is more to this story. Mentally he is not totally well. The cops came recently and tried to get him to go for mental counselling. At another job interview he went for he did not pass the mental evaluation/critical thinking test. There have been SO MANY suicides and divorces in his family I'm starting to think there him and his family have a mental illness. Suicides/attempted suicides are now at 4 (including my dh, who survived). Divorces are at 7 (again, includes my dh). And those are only the ones I KNOW about. One of his relatives was in jail and is now on the run (for dowry and shooting a **** video of himself and his mistress and sending it to his estranged wife). My dh used to be homeless and living in his car. THAT IS THE TYPE OF STUFF HIS FAMILY AND HIM THINK IS NORMAL. I cant take it anymore. His parents moved to a city just south of Mumbai and the neighbors ran them out of the neighborhood and slammed the door in my mil's face because she is EVIL. They moved to a different neighborhood and can not fit in there either. Now they are moving back to Gujarat. But get this... they can't go back to their native in Gujarat, because the village HATES them. So they have to pick some random place in Gujarat where nobody knows them. I'm not the only one who cant tolerate them, I'm just the stupid who was dumb enough to get married into that family.

5. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

If I were you, I'd RUN

6. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

ASG,
    Yes, all that sounds weird to me! Never even heard of such things.. But didnt u live with such weirdness for 6 years? So what did u find in him, that u decided to marry him and lived with him so long?? When things go wrong, the human mind tries to recollect all the bad things associated. Your husband's mental health should definitely be checked. But dont get into all that right now. Just be selfish and think about your life and your career and be independent. Once you are set, look at what you can do next. A calm talk with your husband when you are in a calm state will help. Whether you decide to separate or not is a decision you should make after a talk with him. Not now, when you are hyper. Once you have a job, take him to a doctor and get him checked. See if his medical condition could be treated. Put all these things aside for now. You are young and you have a long way to go ASG :) Good luck!

7. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I guess we discussed this offline already....

First of all....dont look at inlaws please......if your SIL was told to shutup.....she would have...but that should have come from your hsuband not from you!!!

Anyways....better late than never....its hard to beleive that the person whom we love turns out to be like this..but boldness lies in taking action and accepting what is there infront of us ...rather than being blind and living with it.

I remember you saying that you were looking for some part time jobs...what happened to those??
    also start sharing all this with your parents and siblings. I would seriously suggest, please go to your mom and live with her and figure out all this...instead of living in the same mess and seeing this crap every day.

If he wants to go to canada let him. If he wants to quit job and be on streets binging and drinking..let it be...dont sink with him in that deep ****. some men are not born to take responsibility. they like hte idea of marriage and being married...but expect the wife to take care of everything at home right from earning till managing house and raising kids and satisfying inlaws and doing seva to them....however you cant expect anything from such men..as per them...and really its not worth to do anything for such men because you can never keep them happy and everyone from his side will walk all over you..as basically he and his family treats you like dirt. because he doesnt respect you....they wont rspect you either.

Also just one last request...stop talking about his EX. you may not know or you may not have seen the entire side of hers....she may be bad as you said..but again...she too might have gone through worse with these people isnt it??? agreed she might have been married twice or thrice...but that doesnt prove anything....might be she is meeting all nasty guys... do not compare wht he did with her..or how she was with him...and what he is doing to you or how you are treating him. dont side track your approach. live in present and plan for future. dont dig past. assess based on what is in your hand.

3 people like this.
  8. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Get a job, first. You are form this country, not like other H4 visa spouses. It msut be easier for you than those ladies. You knwo the lace, language, how to drive the car etc. Where are your parents/ What do they say? What did you do after your marriage? Did you go back to school? I tis easy to blame others. I am not supporting your in laws or husband. You have the citizenship and must be easy to get some job. I have seen immigrant mothers survive here.

Don't feel sorry for yourself. Move on!!! Don't compare you with his ex wife or anyone. Don't make fun of Homeless people. Any one can become homeless or cna have mental problems. Yes, your husband needs help. Either you take care of him with your love and support or jsut get out. First get a job. He msut have some nice qualities for you to a arry him. I saw your profile and shows that you are so happy. Think before you blame anyone. I feel sorry for you. But you need to take care of yourself-JOB!!!!
    Good luck.

9. asuitablegirl

Sri, I actually had a phone interview Friday. They said they would call me and let me know if they wanted me to come for an interview at the end of this week. As in, interview would have been Thursday/Friday. They haven't called, so obviously I'm not in the running anymore. As for other jobs, they have gone nowhere for me. My next interview is in 2 weeks, but I'm doubtful about that job.

About my dh's ex, I WISH I could forget her. But everytime they bring her up. It's like... NON STOP! His sister keeps talking about their wedding over and over and over again. I asked her to stop, I told her I didn't care, I reminded her that him and the ex have been divorced for many years now... so there is no point in talking about it. But still every chance they get, they bring her up. I'm tired of it. I'm beginning to think my dh misses his ex and that's why he lets everyone keep on talking about her.

As for whether she is good or bad... she cant be THAT bad if she put up with his family for over a year. I dont have any hard feelings against her. I just feel bad that my dh took her everywhere, did so much with her, yet for me.... nothing. He says it's becaue of money, but then why is he taking this canada trip?

I wish I could find a job. Unfortunately it's just not happening. And of course my dh and his family ridicule me constantly about that.

"You sit with your legs up"
    "nobody wants you"
    "you are a lazy ass"
    "you've never earned a paycheck in your life"
    "you are worthless"
    "why dont you get up and go find a job"
    "find a job find a job find a job"
    "one income isn't enough, EARN SOMETHING"

when i got married, I had over $20,000 in my bank account from money my parents saved for me growing up. I spent it ALL trying to please him. now that it's gone, all he does is ridicule me to work. I WANT to work, but I'm having a trouble finding a job. In florida where I went to school and where my mom lives, I have a lot of contacts and could have gotten a job. But my dh decided to move to Washington dc in december and I dont know anyone here, so I'm starting from scratch. All he does is hound me to earn money. He wants to quit his job and sit at home, and he says he cant do that until I get a job. I wish someone would hire me.

p.s. For people telling me to get a job, I have applied from everything to accounting, to HR, to project management, I have even applied to work at starbucks, to work as a maid, blockbuster video, the mall... nobody calls me back. When I asked someone in HR why, they said with an MBA, nobody wants me for an entry level job because they'll think I'm waiting for something better. So I took my MBA off my resume to try and get a job at mcdonalds or starbucks. Still, nobody called me. This sounds terrible, but I have even looked online how to be a prostitute. I look on craigslist trying to find people who would pay me for that. But the only reason I didn't do it was because I have a vaginal problem which makes sex nearly impossible on most days. At this point, I would be willing to even be a prostitute, so long as it would shut my dh up and give him the money he wants. So please don't tell me to find a job when I have been trying my hardest. I have sent out HUNDREDS of applications.

p.s.s. I have even applied to do volunteer jobs or internships to get the experience until I get a paying job. Nobody calls me for that either.

10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

ASG,You are a smart girl with a good head on her shoulders who has gotten overwhelmed with everything going downhill around you.First of all you need to relax yourself. Let your husband go to Canada.When he goes you go out with your friends and relax for a few days. Big deal your SIL talks no sense. Just becoz they are husbands sisters they feel entitled to tell anything and everything to us and make it feel like they are imparting wisdom on us. Thats a load of ***.

For right now concentrate on getting a job. You have no outlet and hence feeling the whole world around you is crumbling.Just becoz your husband's whole family is either divorced or have had suicides , you dont have to go thru the same.The priorities shud be decided by your husband whether his life will be good or not.

If your friends come into your in laws words are they really your real friends. Definitely not. They shud know you better than that.

When my husband was arrested , I was leaning on separating from him. That time my dad told me one thing - If you want to divorce him, do it becoz you want to leave him,dont do it becoz of somebody else like IL's or SIL. Becoz ultimately in the long run you are married to your husband not to IL's or SIL.I will say the same to you. You have to think about what is important here. What IL's or your SIL tell you or do is not important. Is your marriage with your husband repairable? Thats the question.

Right now, Go on take a trip with your friends and relax your mind.Look for a job.Even if its part time,take it up. You just need an outlet and you need it soon.Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.