1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Disposable diapers, Sanitary napkins and the environment.....let us discuss.....

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by pingme, Mar 28, 2010.

1. pingme

pingme New IL'ite

In the modern days, we cannot imagine our monthly3-5 inevitable days without a sanitary napkin. Also, having disposable diapers for babies is a 'must' for all mommies.

Please discuss further on the waste disposal methods and the overall effects of it on the environment. There was a program on the TV and some people argued that sanitary napkins and diapers are causing environmental pollution. Then what is the alternative? They ask us to go back in time. Is that possible??

Let us talk about it....

2. womenz

womenz New IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    The average woman will use 16,800 pads or tampons in her lifetime.The National Women’s Health Network, estimate that in the United States alone, over 12 billion pads and 7 million tampons are used once and disposed of every year. They take a very long time to break down and release toxic chemicals into the earth.

Disposable pads are pretty plasticky these days. Whilst the pads might be 'barely there' - the chemicals and gels that provide the superabsorbancy in most brands can cause irritation and allergies for many women.

Thanks God--now a days many international companies have discovered some biodegradable napkins..you can search on internet
    [/JUSTIFY].India should aware about ths

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    as an young teenager i remember using old cotton sarees & duppatta as pads.they were convenient,soft & could be even reused(yuck but true)
    now,for past 10 year or so am using sanitary napkins & it really scares me how dependent we are on them.i remember one sunday with only one pad left & my desperation to go to chemist when loads of old cloth was lying at home.............
    diapers ,again a pollutant .society force us to use it .i remember a mom telling me to put diaper on my 2 year old son before sending him to play at her house.yes,they are very conventient & sometimes specially in parties etc very helpful but we should avoid squeezing our babies into then 24 hrs.
    then the big question of disposing them .i see parents throwing dirty diapers on roadside,into running water.atleast have courtsey of using a dustbin.
    well,i guess our kids will go on holidays to see mountains of diapers or rivers of plastics .
    wake up people.lets pledge to minimise use of these pollutants for sake of our kids.
    pragati

4. healthonmove

healthonmove Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    Celebrate World Environment Day – June 5th to protect the environment and make the world a better place. Day temperatures risen by 7-8% all over India and traveling during the day is becoming very difficult. This indicates the obvious reason for ‘Global Warming’ Leading to unwant environmental and health problems.

Thanks