1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

disinterest in studies

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by revathi l n, Feb 21, 2008.

1. revathi l n

revathi l n New IL'ite

Dear Madam,
    My son is studying 2nd standard. He is always playful. It seems he is not interested
    in his studies. I and my husband try our best to educate him. But he does not seem
    to give importance for our advice. Moreover, he lacks concentration in his studies.
    He tends to be indifferent whenever my husband tries to correct him. I am very much
    worried about him. Can you solve my problem ?

l n revathy

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Revathy,

WElcome to IL.
    You mentioned 2nd standard,but what is the age of your son. I feel seven is the correct age for 2nd, but i know kids who are 5+ also in second.

It is common that kids are playful especially boys. and the attention span is less that is they can't sit in a place or do a thing for more than a 10minutes maximum

The more you coax him to study, he is going to go away from studying. Just relax and observe him closely for reasons for his disinterest...sometimes, the teachers, the friends, the environment could be a factor.

hope it helps...let us keep discussing...

sindmani likes this.
  3. veen

veen Senior IL'ite

Hi Revathy,

Please take him Psychologist/Neurologist. They will do the evaluation in different areas.

Everyday sit with him for 1 hour or so. Start with a subject which he likes. To motiviate him give him incentives like cartoon watching at specific time, candies, or some prize, or toy etc. Please check websites for ADD/ADHD.

Hope this helps.

Veena

4. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Dear Revathy

dont worry, he is a boy, he will take some time to adjust............now you first see, what is making him reluctant to study, as shanti has told it may be due to several factors..............so find out that and you see what are his interests apart from studies.

try to spend more time with him.............dont always talk about studies...........there are so many things you can discuss with him............then slowly you come to studies.............

love
    padma

5. sangs.srinivas

sangs.srinivas New IL'ite

Hai,
    I am also facing the same problem with my 2nd standard kid. I am also having a 2 years old kid. He disturbs him alot and asks him to play with him. That makes him more reluctant to studies.
    These days for the exams I am making him sit for 3 hrs and making him practise the subjects. It has shown some difference. He is not concentrating but able to read on his own and trying to do good workout now. And got good responce in the school also. I know i am presurising him but cant help. If once he gets habit of sitting and studying he will do it in future also.
    Hope for the best. and try this if u like.
    Regards
    Sangeetha

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Revathi,

Please dont get anxious about it. This is the case with most of the students these days.
    To explain let me say we ourselves who do housework day in and day out do feel it very tedious and bored and sometimes wish there wasnt so much work.But being adults we are able to console oursaelves, The same way kids feel the same about studies and wish to break free.
    The reason being the load and the study pattern . We have to understand. And like one of my friends mentioned , most of them have the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. This is not a disease . This merely means that they have so much of energy in them which needs a release and sitting in one place and studying do not give them the release., hence it is very important to understand your child and get him a good balance of work and play.
    And one interesting thing is Revathi , do understand your childs potential and limitations. If you keep nagging him about coming first ,if he is an average student ,this will frustrate him. Let him do full justice to his capabilities but do not compare him with others else you will drive him further away from studies.

What he needs right now is a lot of caring and understanding.Get him to make his own time table for the day . Let him design the time table the way he wants but tell him to set aside a few hours of study in it.

Regards,
    Devika

sindmani likes this.