1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on H1B/H4 Stamping in Other Countries!!

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by bharthi, Jan 21, 2007.

1. gli

gli New IL'ite

Regarding travel to india when applying h1

Hi,

If we apply for h1 in april can we travel to india?..Im thought of going to india next year..Anybody having any idea?.

2. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Re: Regarding travel to india when applying h1

Hi gli,

Your question is a little confusing. If you are asking whether you can travel after getting an H1 B, then the answer is yes. There is no technical reason why you cannot go (assuming of course that you have enough leave from your employer).

Regards,
    Aarushi

3. gli

gli New IL'ite

Hi Aurushii..after i applied for h1 and waiting for results.can i tarvel in between....Currently im in dependent visa...

4. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

You cannot travel till you get the approval..Else the H1 will be cancelled...However if your employer has applied in such a way that you'll get stamping in India, then you can travel...It is better to travel after working for 2-3 months, get the paystub. Then you can get the stamping done when you travel out of US.

5. ramyaganesh

ramyaganesh Senior IL'ite

H4 to H1B questions

Hi all,

i am currently on H4, my h1b visa has been approved. i am planning to go to mexico next month for stamping. I used to work before in india. can anybody tell me what kind of questions can i expect and the documentation work ?

6. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Re: H4 to H1B questions

Hi,

I too came here on H4 and then converted to H1. However, I went for stamping to India. It is better to get change of status stamping from home country. I wasn't asked any questions, but they may ask info about your company, job profile, education etc. Carry offer letter, all education and work experience documents and info about your company.

7. kalaisiva

kalaisiva Senior IL'ite

Re: H4 to H1B questions

Hi
    I am in H4 right now
    Selected in lottery but got a query regards my education
    As i did my MS in textile now entered in to software, they asked evolution report. i submitted my 1 year work exp letter from India n PGDCA 1 yr course certificate also with lawyer letter that textile with concentrationg on informaiton systems
    Can anyone tell me is that ok can I get H1 b do u come across anyone like this
    Please I am really worried.Thank you

8. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

What are the various methods to renew visa(H1/H4) without going to India?

Hi friends,
    My family visa is getting expired in few months time.What are the methods available to renew them without going to India?
    Some say go to Canada and get stamped..few said just post all documents to the consulate in ST.Louis and will get renewed..Quite confused.Please throw light on this subject.:bowdown
    There are few threads already but none giving a complete detail on this.Friends please share your expereince.

9. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Re: What are the various methods to renew visa(H1/H4) without going to India?

I think that process of mailing to St Louis stopped a few yrs ago.
    The last time I renewed my visa,I went to Chennai consulate.Usually visiting Canada or Mexico ,people get it done in case of not visiting India.Driving down to Canada can be tried.

10. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: What are the various methods to renew visa(H1/H4) without going to India?

Hi Supriya,

There is already a thread
    Personal stories of H1B/H4 Stamping in Canada

Here I had given my reply long back as to how we had done as a family. Below is my reply to Kamla. I had shared our experience here.

Hi Kamala,

I just happened to see this posting and dont know whether it is too late to answer ur question . I joined this site only a few days back and saw this question only today.

Here's what I can share with you:

a) My husband and I had been to Vancouver, Canada a couple of times to stamp our H1B and H4 visa. We had no issue whatsover since we had done the following:
    1) Fixed an appointment (via www.nvars.com) two months in advance at the US Consulate in Vancouver.
    2) Had carried with us all the H1B and H4 documents along with salary slips of my husband, proof of residence, etc.
    3) Went to the US Consulate one hour ahead of the appointment. (We were not allowed to carry food, liquids and electronic items like car remote key, cell [COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]phone[/color][/color], cameras, etc.)
    4) At the US Consulate, we answered the attending officer's questions confidently -- one of the questions was why we had not gone to India to get it stamped.
    5) We had got our H1B visa and H4 visa stamped without any issue. Only that, we had to collect the passports with stamped visas the next day at 3 PM.

In your cited case, the original H1B along with its visa has expired. However, the H1B holder has a new H1B valid till 2009. There should NOT be any problem in getting the visa of the new employer stamped. God forbid, even if the visa is rejected, the H1B holder will be allowed to come back to the US on the previous expired visa as opposed to going back to his country, assuming the H1B holder has a clean record (without any criminal background).

Yes, the H1B holder does need to make an appointment with the US Consulate in Canada.

ALL THE BEST!

Thanks,
    Jithiks (Krithika)

Apart from the above methods, my DH had got his H1B renewed once in Mexico and another time by sending all his docs to Washington DC.

Since our H4's were still valid at that time, he got only his renewed. We need a visa only if we go out of the country and come back, otherwise if we have another 3 or 4 years, then no problem.

Infact, in Vancouver, Canada,(this was 3 years back) the officer asked me as to why I needed to renew my visa when I was perfectly fine to stay in US legally. Then I had to explain that I may have to go to India any time (because my inlaws were not keeping well) and come back.

But, right then, since my dh could not take off from work, we opted to go to Vancouver.

In your case, since you are in Ohio, driving/flying to Canada is a better option. Since Toronto is closer to you, you may try that.

As choclate mentioned, I am not sure, whether they still accept mailing the docs for renewal. You may want to check on that with your husband's employee too. They may be able to shed more light on this.

All the best! :thumbsup Keep us in the loop as to how things go.

Cheers
    Krithika