1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on H1B/H4 Stamping in Other Countries!!

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by bharthi, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Re: Can we book the H1 & H4 Stamping Appt from US

Hi,

yes, you can. in fact you must schedule appointments well in advance and send the papers over prior to your appointment. Rules vary in different consulates so check the website of the one you are planning to go to. nowadays with the PIMS verification, i believe it is taking more time to get the visa stamped so plan accordingly. there are a number of forms to be filled - it is best to consult with your lawyer about the latest changes in the procedures. you can book the appointment online as well.

2. smadhu

smadhu New IL'ite

first time H1B stamping in ottawa - please share experiences

Hi all,
    I'm planning to go to Ottawa for my H1B stamping during May 2008. Actually I'm going to attend a meeting in Toronto. But I cannot find any open slots in Toronto so far, i keep checking nvars website several times a day, called the visa booking several times- but couldn't get any slot in Toronto. It's hard as i'll have to travel with two kids (little one is just one) and my husband is also appearing for H1. We plan to stay in Ottawa for two days and then travel to toronto by train to attend the meeting.

Shobana, can you please tell me how you booked visa appointment in Toronto, thanks!

Also, please share your visa stamping experiences in Canada. Did you take kids with you? how long did you stay in the consulate during your interview? I heard they don't even allow diaper bags and liquids.

Any tips about lodging in Ottawa, payment through scotia bank, etc will be greatly appreciated.

Ladies in Ottawa, please share your ideas, thanks!

Thank you all!
    smadhu

3. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Re: first time H1B stamping in ottawa - please share experiences

Hi smadhu,

we went to Ottawa for stamping in Oct 2006 ( H1/H4).
    you can refer the following thread about the experiences

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/immigration-matters/4296-personal-stories-h1b-h4-stamping.html

Yes, u r right... they dont allow bags, liquids... even the security people didnt allow chopstick also :)

regarding the lodging we stayed in Econolodge in Downtown of ottawa, and from there its 10 min walk to the US consulate and the price of the lodging is not that expensive compared to the others in that area.u can check this website for the price and availability
    Econo Lodge - Budget Hotel Rooms, Affordable Hotels Motels

Regarding the payment at that time we payed cash in the consulate itself ,so i have no idea about the payment method now.

Even I am planning to go again in May or June for my H1 stamping.
    Please do share you experience so that it will be useful for people like me. :)

Hope this helps to someextent.

All the Best for your visa.

cheers!!!

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Kamala,

I just happened to see this posting and dont know whether it is too late to answer ur question . I joined this site only a few days back and saw this question only today.

Here's what I can share with you:

a) My husband and I had been to Vancouver, Canada a couple of times to stamp our H1B and H4 visa. We had no issue whatsover since we had done the following:
    1) Fixed an appointment (via www.nvars.com) two months in advance at the US Consulate in Vancouver.
    2) Had carried with us all the H1B and H4 documents along with salary slips of my husband, proof of residence, etc.
    3) Went to the US Consulate one hour ahead of the appointment. (We were not allowed to carry food, liquids and electronic items like car remote key, cell phone, cameras, etc.)
    4) At the US Consulate, we answered the attending officer's questions confidently -- one of the questions was why we had not gone to India to get it stamped.
    5) We had got our H1B visa and H4 visa stamped without any issue. Only that, we had to collect the passports with stamped visas the next day at 3 PM.

In your cited case, the original H1B along with its visa has expired. However, the H1B holder has a new H1B valid till 2009. There should NOT be any problem in getting the visa of the new employer stamped. God forbid, even if the visa is rejected, the H1B holder will be allowed to come back to the US on the previous expired visa as opposed to going back to his country, assuming the H1B holder has a clean record (without any criminal background).

Yes, the H1B holder does need to make an appointment with the US Consulate in Canada.

ALL THE BEST!

Thanks,
    Jithiks (Krithika)

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jithiks/Krithika,

Thanks for giving such a detailed account of your experience in getting visa stamped at Canada.

No, it is never too late. These questions will be arising again and again for one or the other member. It is good to know these things and be informed about it for everyone who may need it.

You wrote a very detailed post giving all the relevant info and it is of great help.

Thank you so much.

L, Kamla

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamala,

You are most welcome! I am glad you were able to read this and as you mentioned, hope it will be useful to people who are in this situation.

Sure helps to gather and be well equiped with all the information when you travel to a foreign country!

Regards
    Jithiks(krithika)

7. Mina

Mina New IL'ite

Re: Visiting Canada , need info regarding lodging

hi dear,

it is great to be in such a great group, can anyone help me about any agency or company in USA that sponsor or get H1b visa or job? please i need your help!

thanks all

8. hanna.oliwia

hanna.oliwia New IL'ite

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to go to India this fall. But before that, I need to get an H4 visa stamp in my passport. I am not from India, so-I think- I cannot get it stamp in India. Instead of that, I am thinking to go to Canada and stamp it over there. However, I am giving second thoughts about it, because I initially came to the USA on a tourist visa, and then after 4 months I got married and applied for a change of status - to H4, which it got approved. I know that US Embassy in Mexico does not stamp any visa for applicants who: entered the U.S. with a B visa issued in their home country that changed status to another visa category, e.g., F, J, H1B, but the visa did not have an annotation indicating intent to change status.
    Is anyone familiar with the US Embassy Regulations regarding this matter in Canada? Has anyone had any experiences similar to mine?
    We don't want to make multicities trip and stop in my home country, so the easiest way is to go to Canada, but considering my situation can I still apply for an H4 stamp, though I entered the USA on B visa stamped in my home country?
    I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Hanna.

9. Tanmayirao

Tanmayirao New IL'ite

Documents needed to attend for visa stamping at metamoros, mexico

Hi All,

I am attending for H1 visa Stamping here at Metamoros, Mexico and scheduled an appointment for Jun30th. I came here on H4 and got my H1 approved last year Can any one help on what all the documents I should carry and also what questions does they usually ask at the interview. Please help me on this. If you know any forum available for this please let me know. Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Thanks
    Tanmayi

10. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Re: Documents needed to attend for visa stamping at metamoros, mexico

You can check out immigrationvoice.com.