Discuss woodwork and modular kitchen

Discussion in 'Housing' started by Shanvy, Mar 4, 2007.

1. keechu

keechu New IL'ite

Hi shanvy

U did your interiors for 5 lakhs?wow thats somewere near my budget:)how much sqft. is your house?could you please post in some pics of the works..if you dont mind

Keechu

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. keechu

keechu New IL'ite

Hi all

One thing that has been bugging in my mind which makes me feel its better to hire an interior designer and design the house by them according to our ideas is that..wont we need CAD drawings for all these stuffs???well not that we cant design a house without the graphical representation ..my piint is wouldnt that be easier..and about the wiring of the house all those minute details will be covered by these people right?like fr eg..wat if we accidentally drill into a wall xactly were some wiring passes through..mm..accidents can hapen from our side right..but these designers will take care of all those stuffs if the work is done by them right?well i dont know anything about this field all i want is a well designed home avoiding vague expenses..apologies if my doubts sound silly;)please guide me through watever experiences you have had dear IL friends:))

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Keechu, mine was done in 2010 october. that is 3 years and the same has escalated to around 40% more. mine is a 1610 sq.ft flat..but carpet area would be around 1200+sq.ft.

and we had our woodwork person right from the placement of walls, doors,moving the switch board a little and things..

Get your builder to give you all the wiring, pipeline pictures. in our case, we have pictures of all stages.so we know for sure where the wires/pipelines have gone. i have been very close to the construction and could take pictures.. one of the benefits of being on a close watch

after all we spend in lakhs....

1 person likes this.
  4. k11

k11 Silver IL'ite

Keechu,

What I found out is that even designers do not know a lot on these things.
    Designers are not Civil Engineers or Architects.

Engineers, Architects, Building Contractors might know about all the stuff you said. Which wall to take out, is it load bearing, etc. Interior decorators might not know all of this stuff.

Do not worry about small things like electrical wires. Your builder should give you a plan or a diagram where the wires go. Even if you damage it is not a big deal, it is all in pipes it can be replaced easily by taking out an electrical board and inserting the wire from another end.

Woodwork and all does not affect the building structure, electrical or plumbing.
    Do not worry.

Finding the correct labor who is skilled, reliable and punctual is the biggest pain. Once you negotiate a rate, you can go to Parrys, Choolai, etc and do all the shopping.

5. keechu

keechu New IL'ite

Yes xactly k11!!finding the perfect labour is the most important thing..yes the wiring and piping plan will be given by the builder(for which am still waiting :(wonder why they are reluctant i giving it to the owner of the flat!!!)
    What i meant is wouldnt these designers be more cautious than us while taking up these tasks wouldnt it be too much of a burden on our heads if we had to concentrate on these kinda details..hmm ya thats true..hopefully wood work shudnt be effecting the structural parts..thnx for the reply k11:)i just made a visit to the site today was sad to see that these builders are delaying the project now they are saying they can handiver in march only:((sheesh..so much for the money gone and still going!:((

Keechu

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

k11,

I know of a few builders(or more than 50%) who do not give the blue print for the sewage/rainwater harvesting/electrical and plumbing lines because there is a deviation. more so when there are separate contracts for each and there is no proper communication and rapport between the two.

before you say no shanvy, it is not possible, i know a few where it was not given, and in one case there was a pipe line that had a crack leaking into a wall and floor..the owner thought it was the bathroom, broke open the tiles only to find there was a crack in the pipe laid into the kitchen, that was causing the damage..

if the builders gives the details and if there are not deviation fine. but when deviation occurs, it is better that we know about it.

3 people like this.
  7. k11

k11 Silver IL'ite

I agree there are builders who do not have a clue.
    I have also seen some builders do bad planning with haphazard plumbing. In older well designed apts, all the piping goes outside the apt both for sewage and water. Separate water lines for each bathroom and kitchen. In newer units they generally keep a duct separately for the pipes.

1 person likes this.
  8. keechu

keechu New IL'ite

Oh danx u r a barrel of real world information k11!!dats really bad these builders cheating the buyers !!keeping my fingers crossed abd waiting fr my blue prints!!!

9. rka1019

rka1019 New IL'ite

Hi guys,
    We want to do some remodelling of toilet and kitchen.
    Since I don't have 10 posts cannot pm anyone.
    Can someone with experience in this area post reliable good carpenters/ labors phone number?Also what is a reasonable rate persq.ft to do this work?
    Also I read earlier in the thread- Its best to buy materials by ourselves in Parrys. Can you guys tell me particular shops where you get good material at reasonable price?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

10. lizsyiem

lizsyiem New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I am new to the forum, a big hi to everyone here. I am based in Bangalore, and will be relocating abroad end of this month. We have recently purchased a flat in Hiranandani, OMR, Chennai, and will need to do the minimum required wood-work ( kitchen cabinets and wardrobes in 3 bedrooms), before we rent out the place.

Please advise your recommendations based on the below. Thank you all in advance

1. work required as follows - kitchen overhead cabinets, chimney and hob, walk in wardrobe in the MBR, and wardrobes in 2 BRs

2. Preferably modular, since I will not be there in person, or have the time to oversee a carpenters work. Your suggestions are most welcome on choices I have

3. Budget is tight - 3.5 lacs

4. Timeline wise, I hope to get the house ready to be rented by end November. That would be "ideal" :)

I hope you can guide me to the right vendor/s who can be trusted, especially with the finish and commitment to deliver - and also fit within the ballpark. There are plenty of choices, but I have no idea of their past performances. Please PM me with details, if you wish. Thanks again.

Best Regards,
    Liza