Discrimination in India - Daily Life

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by archana.kc, Mar 23, 2010.

1. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Nandhu,

I agree with you - (and it is the most sensible to do so) that it is important to have reservations. I also opine that most first generation learners probably do so only because of the kind of support that the Govt has today for them.

The whole aspect was only when the socio-economic picture comes into place. It is obvious that a student from a NE state has limited access to infrastructure,education etc and hence needs to be provided with a platform. My question is on the case of millions who are given access to enough education yet use the quota because it is legal to do so. I am talking on ethical terms here, and not on absolute terms.

The change we see today in India is very meager in comparison to the level that can be done here. This is a place where a seed has been sown, and sunlight is slowly dawning upon. The discussion is not against or for reservations - and more of a understanding of the kind of perspectives one sees it.

Thanks for your opinion and time,
    Arch

2. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

True ,Archana!

Even with the quota system in place a lot of lower caste students struggle to study and to come up in life.We had this chemistry teacher who is very good.But he used to tell all of us how important it is to study and what all hardships he has faced in life.One thing which he told was beyond imagination.

My chemistry teacher wanted to go for a tution since his parents were not educated and he wanted to come up in life.He approached a teacher for tution and the teacher shunned his entire group of friends saying "Why do you guys(meaning the caste) need education?"He has told "poi unga kula thozhila paarungada".He used to tell this to all of us(fc,bc,mbc,sc/st) in the class.

So still the suppression/oppression has not gone off from the society to take way the quota system.

We can have the quota system based on socio-economic status only when the discrimination by caste has been eradicated from the society.JMO.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Archana,

You have not only started a thread on a very volatile subject, you have also gone ahead and conducted the thread in such a way that everyone was and is able express their thoughts freely without antagonizing anyone.

Both you and Jyothisri have been nominated for your great postings here. Congrats on that too!

Discrimination exists all over the world, in some places more than the others. One needs to possess lots of tolerance and insight to accept different views, people and way of life. As this is such a vast topic, I will never be able to do justice in one single post. But this thread is doing quite a good job of bringing in the various areas of discriminations and discussing it, which is to be appreciated.

I can only say that I feel really proud that our young people have an acute sense of civics and are so alert and aware about what is happening in their world. That is a sign of sure progress and who knows, the world may...just may...change!:)

L, Kamla

4. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Wow!Congratulations Archana & Jyothisri!You deserve it.:bowdown.The kind of discussion without crossing the border and not offending anyone is just awesome!:cheers

5. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Bhuvi,

I read and read so much on this topic now, from the time the discussion started. While I still opine and shall continue to do so that the present quota system is one of the main reasons why India has come this far post independence, I only wish, wish that it does not let it take the curt turn here after.

We are becoming a object of mockery, as time progresses. A friend of mine commented - India has one of the most discriminative social system! I wonder, what that statement means for he has been educated in countries where a color is discriminated. I am only worried, more so on seeing certain responses here and there if we are letting the quota system eat too much.

The system is one of the few ones that this nation still follows, at least the one with meager dis functional aspects(where FC's get BC certificates).

I now have a tad different view on this system based on economic measures as well. Just thinking loud - where would the no income generating ST fall into?

Arch

6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Thanks. It is indeed a pleasure, and of course a matter of absolute open minded responses that has been in this thread. Not a single digression :)

7. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

It's been a while since I've been able to post though I've had a lot of things to say but I would just like to keep it short in this post.

It was great to see Nandshyam's post about her project with the NGO. I totally agree that there are millions of people in India who need to know their rights as a citizen. Many educated people in urban centers do not know their rights, so we can imagine the plight of the tribals and the rural folk who are totally dependent on what the government tells them. So it's great that NGOs are playing a part in educating these people.

I have had the good fortune of doing community service as part of my college education in India, and I have seen to some extent the situation in rural areas and the plight of education and medical care available (rather not available) to the people in these areas. It is well-known that the area MLAs and government representatives only appear at election time to ask (read bribe) for votes and then disappear. I think that these people need improvement in their lives not through reservations, but through better education at the basic level so that they can compete with their urban peers, and access to better health care at all times. Without providing them basic care, what use are reservations? It is clear that reservations are only used for political lobbying.

India has to first recognize that division based on caste is discrimination. It is disgraceful that the Indian government argued against this at a UN meeting.

8. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Kamla and Bhuvnidhi, thank you for your wishes!