Discrimination in India - Daily Life

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by archana.kc, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

I would like to share an article by Jug Suraiya that I read recently on the Times of India website.

It's time we had reservations about reservations

This article talks about reservations for minorities and the author puts forward some good points for discussion.

2. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Jyothi,

I met a friend who is appearing for his IAS mains this year. Somewhere the discussion got into these lines, and we had the most fruitful discussion ever.

Regarding a socio-economic based system, the final thought is that it will work. The logistics of it is mind boggling. There was a talk on giving a citizen card, and this will prove as a trump card for the process. I opine that a system will work only if we want to make it work. As much as tax system is in place - it is one of the most easily escapable routes. Also, it would require a robust, integrated, corruption-free ( or at least, opportunities for mistakes free) system in place to take a yearly or at least once in two years calculation of income.

Yes Jyothi. I was indeed referring to the ethical systems. I do not blame that guy too as he did not know do anything illegal. What I blame is the society and the system which has made it possible for him to accept that it is indeed the right thing to do.

Regarding OBC's - I wish to know this from someone who is aware - Are ministers ( MP's, MLAS's, CM, PM etc) who come under the OBC category, classified as a creamy layer?

Jyothi, a recent pet peeve is on how discrimination occurs even in the most irrelevant of situations - like over a lunch table ( as i mentioned in one of my earlier posts) or on how the so called upper cadre feels discriminated - reverse discrimination. Do share your thoughts.

Thanks so much and my apologies on responding so late!

Arch

3. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Archana,

There is no need to apologize!

I'm reading Nandan Nilekani's book called Imagining India. I think it's a very good book and everyone who has any interest in the Indian economy must read it. Nilekani writes about how India has come to be where it is now, describing the system during the British raj and the system that exists now. I learned a lot reading this book. And since you mentioned the citizen card, Nilekani is already on his way to making that happen, so I hope it works out for India.

I could not get your point about your pet peeve. Could you explain with an example?

Reverse discrimination - yes, that is the trend now, and I attribute it to the control reservations have over our education, jobs, and politics. There can be a change, and it needs to start with our society accepting that change. Then the politicians will come around. We need an equal and secular society in real life, not just on paper.

4. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

//
    Maybe I'm too liberal-minded, or was born in the wrong place at the wrong time, or maybe I'm just plain loony, but that's me and that's how I feel. //

You are not alone. Many people practice anti-discrimination . They dont get a chance to write about it. :) I fully agree with your clear views.

Now a days there is another discrimination. About fat obese people. My , how people look down upon women who are obese fat but healthy otherwise.

Just because one is thin, one becomes a kind of queen to pass judgment on fat people? First thing one hears in any party or social get together is " you have become fat" or " my how nice you look so thin.."

Obese people are treatd as " Untouchables" now a days in soceity.

5. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

BTW, I also want to palce on record., that I know some good friends, who were from the reserved categories, but have foregone all the benefits, as they are in a better condition now!

I think that also should be appreciated.

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I have lots of thoughts about this.

But just want to quickly mention the following as I read somewhere about Quota not required anymore.

Quota is very important for our country and it needs to be there for another 1000 years atleast.Why.

It was these same people who oppressed the SC's/ST's of their education for 1000 years and classified that they should only do work and not supposed to learn. Learning was their own right. Today, they have an ancestral lineage of literates while most of SC's/ST's might be the first generation getting educated. So it is quite hard for these children to know what their rights are and as a country it should uplift these families so the children can learn. All these are possible only with reservations.

A FC can qualify with flying colors and fight that "Oh no, how can you say my quota is over, when the SC/ST is not even getting filled" But they got to understand that for an SC/ST to come to this level is very hard - (1) learning from their mother tongue and immediately had to switch to english for further studies (2) with no taste of education in their family for decades to help or advice (3) family's socio-economical status.

So yes its a rough path for these people, but as a fellow citizen we need to swallow this as they did the same for the past 1000 years.

7. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Nands,

I agree with you - except for one bit. The socio economic status, is not all that bad as it is portrayed, in many cases.

Got loads to say.Will come back with more

Arch

8. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Thanks Jeya.

This was the kind of discrimination I wanted to address, when I opened this thread. All has been tread on things like caste discrimination, gender discrimination and now we all are educated enough to learn not to discriminate. Yet we do so - on a absolutely senseless aspect like the one mentioned here by Jaya.

Got loads of thoughts on this as well. Will write back

Arch

9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I am a volunteer in few NGO's that are working towards RTI and RTE for the last decade or so and believe me, the socio-economic status that you see for these scheduled people is just the smallest % of the bigger crowd. There are billions of people in rural areas yet to know their rights in all possible ways.

Let me give you a case from a project I have been working -

In the hilly terrian of western west bengal, in the maoists region, there are 100s of villages mainly populated by Santal tribes. They have been ignored by the larger development work conducted by the government due to the unapproachable terrain (what a lame excuse!). These people survive on their own - farming and hunting. We, NGO's are now working to providing them the basics - Knowing their rights to everything being an Indian, starting from basics, to health care, to education etc. Now as of 2009 there are 14 NGO-run pre-schools that teach these kids in bengali and santhali (you know their script is just 60 or so years old.. imagine what their fate would have been all those years, just working as slaves and no knowledge whatsoever), provide midday meal to these kids, help these parents to self-sustain so they don't worry about kids not being another earner in the family.

This is just one such case in the whole puzzle. There are billions of such people with no knowledge of their rights. I agree, yes, some we know have come up in their life, good... but its just their starting phase. Others just got to be patient, IMO.

10. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Nandhu , You are really awesome!You are the second person, I encounter with excellent and unbiased opinion on the subject.:bowdown.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010