Discrimination in India - Daily Life

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by archana.kc, Mar 23, 2010.

1. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Arch,

I think the caste system had its roots in the vedic age.. Though it might seem irrelevant now, they had divided the human race into 4 categories - Kshatriya, Brahmin, Shudras, Vaishya.. The basis of classification of Varnas was the occupation..

I believe, the shurdra varna, which denoted the servants and slaves, evolved through centuries into SC/ST -Harijans.. They were severely oppressed and denied their basic rights..

Yeah, even i have faced it many many times in many many places.. Both on personal and professional front.. At the professional front even more.. It is a world wide issue that women hit a glass ceiling in profession.. There are some theories which explain why women are discriminated so much at workplace.. Here it goes
    1. Human Capital Theory - Which says, more skill sets --> higher pay --> going up the corporate ladder quickly.. But why women tend to hit a glass ceiling is because, child rearing and household responsiblities interrupt a woman from getting skill enhancements as fast as a man.. So women go slowly up the corporate ladder

2. Demand-Supply - Women are percieved as more suitable for a a service job than a rough industrial factory job.. Though men and women work in the same service job, men will be paid higher than women because the concentration of women willing to work in those jobs will be higher..

I really dont know of any solution for such kind of discrimination against women.. These theories typically were drawn for American women, i feel it also applies to Indian women..

At home front, the culture plays a major role and the discrimination will be even more in Patriarchial soceities..

2. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

A word from me on genders and my prerogative on it. I am a equality believer, yet I respect and wish to adhere to the rules of a gender.

Nature has defined certain aspects as masculine and society has amplified the gory truths behind these definitions. If physical strength was masculine, beating up a woman was a crown. If endurance was masculine (physical), then holding on baseless belief systems (useless or otherwise) was allowed (Ego). It was not a case of one man creating a rule, but of the exaltation of an entire gender. This elevation has almost given, I repeat – almost given a semi-demi ruler blanket to men.

Women were glorified and made to rescind – to make some way. It is an easier option to call her Ganga, make her sit on a pedestal, dress her in ornaments and perform austerities. In a way, I believe women were made to be worshipped. All the literature that speaks on women as Gods ( I hate the usage of Gods to people, baring this instance) are means to keep Her away from the evolution process. When you glorify someone to an unimaginable extent, make her as a statue in time – she is not allowed to grow. In my opinion, that is what has happened in this country. As a nation, we have learnt to keep the woman within doors not in the pretext of dominating her but by playing a physiological phenomenon as glorification. If physical adoration restricted authority, the emotional bondage restricted fruition of the mind. It is to be noted, that mythology and literature speak on why this practice of “shielding” was followed – it also spoke on how relevant it was. We have moved far from this “shield”, yet we continue to take solace in its relevance. This is absurdity. When we have evolved in thought, acceptance and generations to allow women to do what she wants to - we simply have to move on from the old relevance of shutting her down emotionally and psychologically.

When nature showed her intrinsic capabilities of bestowing feminine characteristics in men, it confused us. Ascribing tendencies to a gender is not under the capacities of a human. It is a law, and it has to be obeyed. It riles me every single time I see a person being typecasted for the sake of being born into it. If we only learn to accept that a gender is not a mere classification, but denotes a sense of unification with the world – our lives are bound to be better.

When a man becomes a woman, it is beautiful. I have read a semi-autobiography of actor Prakash Raj and in that, he speaks on how lovely it is to experience motherhood. He writes on how he spent his college days reaching home late and on never being questioned on why he was late. There have been days when he has not returned home as well. On all those days, he says dinner was always kept for the son who may return home. It has taken him years to feel on how the mother has felt during those evenings. To her, it did not bother that her son was late. It did not bother if he ate. What bothered was her call as a mother, to keep food for him. I do not advocate this paradigm, but the most important part to read between the lines is her nature to do what she does best, irrespective of how the receiving end is.

As a generation, we have forgotten acceptance. It could be due to the constant fight of survival, or rather upliftment. In a non-natural, self imposed cycle – moving from a defined masculine tendency (earning, working, being the head of a family etc) to a once again, defined feminine tendency ( caring, nurturing, looking attractive) is derogatory. This is the vicious cycle this entire generation is flooded with. In the earlier times, there was no such movement because it was a set rule, a defined space to live. Today, we see a lot of acceptance and a lot of movement. Yet, it has to grow.

We need to realize that there is a law which regulates us, and it is not created by anyone here. It is natural, it was, is and shall be there. Understanding the basics of where we are from and agreeing to the growth is the fundamental step towards movement. It has to happen. Either the men and women of today shall learn to adapt it gracefully and live their lives to a satisfactory experience, or they let the change pass by and look back in awe at what the world has become when they kick the buckets.

Arch

3. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Riya,

I think this system by itself was oppression. How could a person be typecasted for his profession on a lower level? Who defined that a brahmin ( who learns, does pujas in temples) is more superior to a Sudhra ( one who works on a field) ? I am sure it was done by the learned, and not the working class.

Arch

4. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Blissful, you have put my thoughts into words with this statement. It is very unfortunate that our society does not realize the meaning behind all its rituals. Things are changing, slowly, but our society is in a state of inertia and we need a major reform to address all the changes we need at different levels.

I also agree with you about the reservation quota. I believe that we do not need reservations of any kind. What we need is education and empowerment at the grassroots level. Children from lower income groups need the solid base of a good school education rather than being granted reservations at the undergraduate level. The same applies to reservation for women in the parliament. We need to treat our women at home with respect first and only then we can take women in the parliament seriously, until then, they will just be puppets in the hands of other male politicians, and will account for just another piece of statistics.

Coming back to the caste system, I believe that it was present in the region that we call India today when the Aryans first came as settlers. However, like Riya123 said, this classification was based on occupation and not on birth. Though I do not understand why there was the need for such classification in the first place, I can only imagine that when some members of the 'higher' classes decided that they were smarter than the others, it slowly turned into the caste system prevalant today. And so began the oppression, boosted by the belief in Karma, that one earns his caste by his past deeds and he has to live through it, thereby giving people of 'higher caste' the right to oppress the 'lower castes'.

Associated with each caste is a colour, that sounds suspiciously like skin colour; which must explain the Indian obsession with fair skin, only encouraged later by the powerful 'white' colonizers - the Mughals and the British.

Gandhi was deeply religious, bordering on the fanatic if I may say so. He tried to bring attention to the oppressed people of 'untouchables' by calling them Harijans, but this was unacceptable to Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, who felt that this represented an overbearing attitude of the upper castes. He felt it more appropriate to ask for separate electorates for the 'untouchables', which Gandhi disagreed with and he went on a fast-unto-death while in Pune's Yerwada prison in 1932. Fearing communal riots and mass killing of untouchables if Gandhi died in the fast, supporters of Gandhi compelled Ambedkar to agree to reservations rather than separate electorates. This is called the Poona Pact.

In 1935, the 'untouchables', who were referred to as Depressed Castes until then, were classified as Scheduled Castes by the Simon Commission through the Government of India Act 1935. Tribal communities were later included as Scheduled Tribes. These policies were adopted by the Indian Constitution post-independence and there began our legal association with reservations. Economically backward castes/classes other than these were identified as Other Backward Castes by the Mandal Commission in 1979.

References:

Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes

Poona Pact

Mandal Commission

Positive Discrimination in India - an article

Women Empowerment in India - an article

5. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Yep, when the very foundation is wrong, you can imagine how badly things can go wrong with the building built on a wrong foundation..

On the other hand, i doubt if human thinking was so much evolved then to think of human rights, equality, as we do today..

Today we are witnessing the ghastly consequences of such a divide.. Personally i think India has witnessed more divide than any other western country.. In India there are various religions, castes, subcastes.. The inherent animosity amongst those groups.. It is very hard to bring about unity in diversity when there is so much of divide.. India has been successful to some extent, but still has a long way to go till such divide gets wiped out in its roots..

The govt. also in some cases gives way to further such divides by reserving quotas and all.. They dont want to touch because the politicians fear losing their vote banks.. This reservation and quota system is a kind of perk given to some set of people.. I doubt even when these people become doctors, engineers, managers, IAS offices these set of people would be willing to give up the quote or even fight against it.. It is a kind of perk which once given, it is hard to renounce such perks..

This special treatment for SC/STs will definitely enrage the general merit class of people.. This is in a way creating a bigger rift among the people of India..

6. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

The title of the post made me think, and I came to the conclusion that its area specific. Some pockets in India do have this type of discrimination and they are the ones which are orthodox and very ,very rigid.
    Personally I have never been asked about my caste and I do not bother to find out about others caste ! Maybe it was the environment I grew up in.
    Having lived in India all my life can others enlighten me about discrimination on the basis of color in the other countries?

7. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Jyothi,

Thanks very much. I did read through all the links that you put up there. The state of inertia, as you mention is not a scenario created by the men or women in the society, as it is popularly believed. It is a group of belief systems, changing - evolving as they change.

From what I understand - were these demarcations created, for ease in administration? If yes, why did the shift happen to take it as a celebrated status?

Riya,

As much as I agree with you in the apathy of the situation, I stand to disagree on the reason behind the same. I do not think it was a nation ( read politicians, bureaucrats, caste heads etc) who created the divide. It was the people who took advantage of it. As I mentioned in my previous post, we have forgotten to accept reality but have found comfort in staying with the crowd( Read established rules)

Let me elaborate it a bit here ( of course, in a manner that may cause a slight disturbance). A student who belongs to BC category had access to excellent education and secured over 80+ percentage in his school finals. He applied to a college( which believes in equal merit, but is govt.funded). He had to compete with 85+ scorers of a FC category. The BC guy gets the seat, because his quota is available and the college cannot deny the same. In this scenario - who is to blame for the divide? The guy who scored 85+ but did not have the knack to get in, The govt that created the caste based education quota or the boy who scored 80+ and took his rightful seat?

I would blame the boy who scored 80+ and took his seat. Quotas are created for people who do not have access and are restricted to studying in primitive methods. It is for a person like that the government wishes to help. He is the deserving student, and not the one who has all access and decides to score only 80+. Do share your thoughts.

Arch

8. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Flowerlady,

It is not region specific, but is society specific. Certain groups of people believe it is right to be that way. This group can be a religion, a caste, a state or even a following group. Discrimination on colour happens even in India. Why else, would you think Fair and Lovely is so famous?

Arch

9. SujathaR

SujathaR Gold IL'ite

I do not know why Government is asking Caste in all of its application forms.. Is that necessary?

10. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Sujatha,

Yes it is necessary.

Arch